• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Medicaid restricts firearms?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Original post on another site

Short story: Mother has premature twins. One needs advanced medical care covered by Medicaid. The Medicaid case worker (nurse), as part of a home inspection, told mom that they cannot have guns in the home.

I know the mother and, despite the hyperbole in the post, believe what she is saying. My advice was to seek clarification and that it's likely to nurse's personal agenda being imposed.

I remember reading a similar story before either on here, PDO, or XDTalk. Anyone else see or remember a similar post? A search of each site for medicaid turned up nothing similar. I didn't find anything pertinent in a google search of "medicaid [weapon|firearm|gun] restrict." I also didn't find anything in brief searches of Commonwealth of Virginia's Medicaid and social services websites.

Any thoughts?

Edit: For the record, I don't know if she has any firearms.

robertnmjr

imported post

sounds like the nurse is a anti rights advocate, plainly put she doesn't like guns. as far as medicaid i wouldn't think it would matter as long as the guns are put away, in a gun cabinet, gun safe or a room that she is not allowed in.she has to follow your rules while in your house.looks like she needs to getmedicaid to send someone else in her place.

ne1

imported post

I worked as a welfare caseworker for nearly twenty years (now retired) and cannot cite ANY policy that would forbid firearms in a private residence. Of course I am no longer in the loop but, as I recall, foodstamps could even be used to purchase ammunition for subsistence. This ruling definitely needs to be challenged.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know that when my parent did last chance foster care, all firearms had to be in a locked, windowless cabinet and they were not allowed to buy a gun while they had a foster child. They recommended not taking the fosters target shooting either.

My dad locked the guns in a locker, ammo in his safe and only bought guns between foster kids or on respid weekends. Gotta love the systems... we trust you to work with these messed up kids, but you can't defend yourself or them in your own house.

As to medicade, I can't see where they would be able to regulate what you have in your house if it is not causing a danger to the insured. If you have one of those guns that goes off by itself while unloaded and ranomly shoots family members, then that ONE may cause an issue, but we all know how real those are :lol: