Thread: "here in my car..."

Post imported post

In WV nd VA I must have it clearly visible but what about PA? is it allowed at all or restricted or what?

State Researcher

Post imported post

In Pennsylvania, you must have a permit to carry a handgun in a vehicle, whether openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded. For the purposes of carrying in a vehicle only--not for concealed carry outside a vehicle--Pennsylvania recognizes all otherstates' permits. However, to carry concealed outside a vehicle requires either a Pennsylvania permit or a permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has established reciprocity. In addition, you must have a Pennsylvania permit or a permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has established reciprocity to open carry within the city of Philadelphia.

Pennsylvania's reciprocity list is available at http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    In Pennsylvania, you must have a permit to carry a handgun in a vehicle, whether openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded. For the purposes of carrying in a vehicle only--not for concealed carry outside a vehicle--Pennsylvania recognizes all otherstates' permits. However, to carry concealed outside a vehicle requires either a Pennsylvania permit or a permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has established reciprocity. In addition, you must have a Pennsylvania permit or a permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has established reciprocity to open carry within the city of Philadelphia.

Pennsylvania's reciprocity list is available at http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184
    I'd say you summed up things nicely. The only other thing that I'd add is that a permit is also required to carry legally (whether openly or concealed) during a period of emergency declared by any government executive. Personally, I think it is B.S. that a permit should be required for any reason but, in the end, it is a fairly inexpensive insurance policy against harassment and oppression by some LEO types.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Thors_Mitersaw wrote:
    In WV nd VA I must have it clearly visible but what about PA? is it allowed at all or restricted or what?
    This question is answered on the PA page of this database.