• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"here in my car..."

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

In WV nd VA I must have it clearly visible but what about PA? is it allowed at all or restricted or what?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

In Pennsylvania, you must have a permit to carry a handgun in a vehicle, whether openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded. For the purposes of carrying in a vehicle only--not for concealed carry outside a vehicle--Pennsylvania recognizes all otherstates' permits. However, to carry concealed outside a vehicle requires either a Pennsylvania permit or a permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has established reciprocity. In addition, you must have a Pennsylvania permit or a permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has established reciprocity to open carry within the city of Philadelphia.

Pennsylvania's reciprocity list is available at http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

ne1

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
In Pennsylvania, you must have a permit to carry a handgun in a vehicle, whether openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded. For the purposes of carrying in a vehicle only--not for concealed carry outside a vehicle--Pennsylvania recognizes all otherstates' permits. However, to carry concealed outside a vehicle requires either a Pennsylvania permit or a permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has established reciprocity. In addition, you must have a Pennsylvania permit or a permit from a state with which Pennsylvania has established reciprocity to open carry within the city of Philadelphia.

Pennsylvania's reciprocity list is available at http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184
I'd say you summed up things nicely. The only other thing that I'd add is that a permit is also required to carry legally (whether openly or concealed) during a period of emergency declared by any government executive. Personally, I think it is B.S. that a permit should be required for any reason but, in the end, it is a fairly inexpensive insurance policy against harassment and oppression by some LEO types.