• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Kalamazoo / Van Buren counties

kdogg

imported post

Has anyone in the Kalamazoo or Vanburen county area's open carried? Any run ins with the LEO's?

I open and conceal carry at work all the time (no CPL) without issue but I've not gotten up the nerve to try it off work property or out of my own yard. Unless you count state hunting land.

Thoughts, comments?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

kdogg wrote:
Has anyone in the Kalamazoo or Vanburen county area's open carried? Any run ins with the LEO's?

I open and conceal carry at work all the time (no CPL) without issue but I've not gotten up the nerve to try it off work property or out of my own yard. Unless you count state hunting land.

Thoughts, comments?
My uncle is the under-sheriff in Van Buren County. I just talked to him in this regard. He's not a big fan of CPL (he accepts the law) but said that open carry is legal and his deputies are aware of this. As long as you were legal in all regards (transport, ownership, etc)you would not be arrested. He was a State Tropper for 25 years (South HavenPost)and under-sheriff for about 8 years. He saidhe has never come acrossanyone open-carrying a handgun.

Cheers,

Brian Jeffs

Venator

imported post

kdogg wrote:
Under sherrif Carol? We've met actually.

In that case tell your uncle, they are not in compliance with the A.G.'s ruling that they have to issue buying permits during normal business hours too ;)

Link him to this:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=252228

this:

http://www.firearmsalliance.org/AGOpinion7-17-06Permits.htm

and this:

http://www.firearmsalliance.org/AGLetter7-17-06.pdf
Yes he is my uncle. Are they still doing this? Have you sent him the AG opinion on this? If so, what was his response/reason? If you have not sent him this info, do so.

kdogg

imported post

I actually spoke to Rick about this issue. Rick's one of there supervisors.

He said it was still upto the sherrif to decide what there hours were and the sherrif had decided to disregard the AG's ruling and keep there current hours.

I tried to tell him that sherriffs departments were getting reported for this stuff and he blew me off and said well if you don't want to wait, get a CCW.

True enough that would solve my problems but I really have no need for a CCW at this time.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kdogg wrote:
He said it was still upto the sherrif to decide what there hours were and the sherrif had decided to disregard the AG's ruling and keep there current hours.

I tried to tell him that sherriffs departments were getting reported for this stuff and he blew me off and said well if you don't want to wait, get a CCW.
hmmm, I wonder what he'd have to say if the average joe decided to disregard an AG's ruling? or the sheriffs ruling?

Venator

imported post

The Van Buren County Sheriffs Departments Hours for handgun purchase permits and CPL's are listed below. It's not 9:00AM to 5:00PM M-F, but they are available on Saturday and Sunday, where many departments are not. So they are available 24 of the typical 40 hrs a week. Not great, but not bad either.

Tuesdays 3PM-7PM

Fridays 7AM-4PM

Saturdays 7AM-11AM

Sundays 7AM-11AM & 4PM - 7PM

Check out their website.

http://www.vanburencountysheriff.com/administration.htm