• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 Castle Doctrine Bills in House

MadBadger

State Researcher
imported post

Posted over on missouricarry.com by Tim Oliver, I liked how he put it and didn't want to change it (original here: http://www.missouricarry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14598 )

Tomorrow, 2/7/07, there is a House Committee Hearing on two versions of this years Castle Doctrine bills, HB60 sponsored by last years sponsor Rep Rustman and HB189 sponsored by Rep Kenny Jones. To provide the best protection to anyone who is forced to use self defense, a bill must have the following three provisions: *No duty to retreat*, whether you are in the home or a Wal Mart parking lot. (the key language is *anyplace you are lawfully allowed to be*) *Burden of Proof of self defense on the State,* not the victim. (by current statue language, you have the *burden of proof* that it *was* self defense, if you fail this burden, *you* go to jail) *Immunity from civil suit* for self defense use of force, absent a criminal conviction. (in some versions of the CD bill, if you are sued civilly, and you win, you will be awarded your attorney's fee, lost income etc. The problem with this is, your lawyer will want big $$$ up front, then *you* will have to try to collect from a dead, or dead-beat robber or carjacker who has nothing and never will) HB 189 has all these provisions, HB 60 does not. We have people lined up to testify but we need a *large crowd* there in support. The hearing is at high noon in Hearing Room 4, and should last about an hour. Please help get this passed this year! Be Safe, Tim Oliver

The bills are as follows:
HB 189 text: http://www.house.mo.gov/bills071/biltxt/intro/HB0189I.htm

HB 60 text: http://www.house.mo.gov/bills071/biltxt/intro/HB0060I.htm

Short notice for the hearing, but get those e-mails out to your Reps! Let's get Castle Doctrine passed in Missouri!

Kelly J

imported post

In this situation HB 189 is the only good choice as it puts the burden of proof on the Prosicutor to prove the shooting was not justified instead of in the other option which places the burden on the Defendant.

Article1section23

imported post

We need this to pass, and I don't think there is going to be a problem with this one. Kevin Jamison, stated that he was involved in a case where the person shot an intruder, after he was in the house and went to jail for 15 years. All in all, this went well and had a lot of people supporting it. Even the NRA got on board for this one.

SFC Stu

imported post

Shawn wrote:
We need this to pass, and I don't think there is going to be a problem with this one. Kevin Jamison, stated that he was involved in a case where the person shot an intruder, after he was in the house and went to jail for 15 years. All in all, this went well and had a lot of people supporting it. Even the NRA got on board for this one.

I was there and testified for HB 60 and HB 189. They have now been combinedand include the language "anywhere that you have a lawfulright to be". HB 189 has passed House 163-4!

HB 189 has been sent to the Senate. Now is the time to contact your senators and ask them to support thisbill. SFC Stu