• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Barry Proposes Suspension Of D.C. Gun Control Law

darrel_h

imported post

WASHINGTON -- [/b]D.C. Councilmember Marion Barry said he wants to suspend the city's handgun control law.

Barry has proposed to suspend the law for 90 days, saying that would allow citizens who want a gun in their homes to legally register them and make it easier for police to trace guns used in crimes.

The council member also said he wants to stiffen penalties for any illegal use of handguns. Under the bill, some penalties for gun crimes could double from five to 10 years or more.

The District's gun ban has been on the books since 1977.

Barry said he would not own a gun, but others want them.

"Let's not only make our city safer, but people ought to feel safer," said Barry. "Now I'm opposed to any citizen having a gun in his or her house, but there are some citizens who, they ought to have these guns registered, so we should accommodate that."

Most council members shied away from Barry's bill, but some said it could give a more realistic picture of how many guns are in the city.

"This may be a way to add control over guns that are in the District, so I'm very interested in having that conversation," said Ward 6 Councilman Tommy Wells.

Many said they were surprised to hear of Barry's idea to suspend the law. Citizens in downtown D.C. said they were leery of Barry's relaxed gun policy idea.

"I think it should be illegal in the city because mistakes, recklessness and general animosity can lead to shootings," said one local resident.

"Maybe the killers will get worse in the city. They are going to think it's alright to have a gun in their house and they're going to think it's alright to carry them out on the streets," said another local resident.

Council judiciary committee Chairman Phil Mendelson said he plans to look at tougher penalties for gun crimes but opposes making it easier to own a gun in the city.

"We need to reduce the number of guns in this city, and I don't support any measure that would, in fact, increase the number of guns," he said.

The council judiciary committee will have to make the final decision over whether or not the proposed bill passes.

[align=right]Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/align]

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20070206-115722-3302r.htm

Its in the Washington Times as well.

You know, at first look, it seemed like someone was seeing the light. Of course you get no more than skin deep, and its another means to regulate those who desire to be law-abiding citizens and not the criminal element.

So, if what crackhead, oops- I mean Mr. Barry wants passes, this will give the authorities an idea where all the guns of those law-abiding folks have are, while the authorities will still be in the dark where the bad guys guns are.

Now explain to me how this will deter crime? You will know where all the good guys guns are while you wont know where the bad guys guns are... :banghead:

If you attach an amendement that would alloweveryone with a registered handgunto recieve a permit to carry concealed, I would say they might have something of a crime deterant- But even I wouldnt support that in practice. It's called an infringement. DC is a criminal haven, its leadership included.