• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Timer in NOVA

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Helloeveryone... I'm new to the forum and haven't yet popped my OC "cherry" as it were. I'm a retired US Navy Senior Chief and just purchased my first handgun, a Ruger P345 and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. Beautiful, accurate and fits me perfectly.

I plan on putting at least 1000 more rounds through it before even considering OC or CC for that matter. There's no point in carrying unless I'm prepared both physically and mentally to use it for defense and no point in tryingif I'm not able to hit my target and ONLY my target and for the right reasons.

That harkens back to when I was a boy and something my grandfather, anold WWII Marine from Guadalcanal told me once about carrying a pocket knife and I feel the same thing applies here. He said:"Don't carry one unless you're prepared topull it out one day. Don't pull it out unless you're prepared to use it. And don't use it unless you're prepared to kill someone."

That said, I've already been to the VCDL website, read http://www.FirearmsTactical.com, I've been learning the laws, tapping the knowledge of a good friend who is a VSP academy trainer, learning my weapon and both it's capabilities and mine as well. In the few daysthat I've been reading the posts and literally soaking up the vast knowledge and experience here,I have to say thatI'm very impressed with the level of knowledge and maturity that I've witnessed on this site.

I'm looking forward to being active here and eventually meeting some of you. I'll leave my first post with a couple of relevant quotes (I love quotes, as you'll soon discover!).

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks."
-- Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew.

[align=center]
"No arsenal ... is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)
[/align]
[align=center][/align]

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome aboard, BobCav!

You'll find this is a pretty friendly board, and judging from your post, you'll fit right in! Where in VA do you live? If its anywhere near the Tidewater area, you probably know we have another one of our dinner get togethers coming up on the 21st. You are welcome to join us whether you carry or not. We'll be deciding where to go pretty soon, so stay tuned.

Dutch Uncle

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks for the welcome Dutch Uncle. I just updated my profile, I'm in Springfield, VA. Sorry, I won't be able to make it down there for that next get together, but I visit my daughters down there about once a month. Maybe there'll be a get together on one my visits! I lived there for 9 years and know the area pretty well.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just realized your post was entitled "first timer in NOVA", so you're a long way off, but the invite still stands.

TEX1N

imported post

BobCav wrote:
That harkens back to when I was a boy and something my grandfather, anold WWII Marine from Guadalcanal told me once about carrying a pocket knife and I feel the same thing applies here. He said:"Don't carry one unless you're prepared topull it out one day. Don't pull it out unless you're prepared to use it. And don't use it unless you're prepared to kill someone."
Welcome to OCDO! My grandfather was also a Guadalcanal Marine!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TEX1N wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Welcome to OCDO! My grandfather was also a Guadalcanal Marine!
Hey TEX1N! That's very cool. My grandfather was Pvt John W. Kiefaber, "B" Company, First Battalion, Fifth Marines, First Marine Division. I'm looking at a copy of his original muster I got from the USMC Museum in the Washington Navy Yard when I was stationed there! Great stuff...