• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry indeed.

BOM

imported post

A little background: I'm 19, turning 20 in March, i call Albuquerque homeand i have been open carrying since the day I turned 19. I started with a Glock 19, and then moved on to a USP .45, and now I'm carrying a Glock 20. I started with a thumb break Galco holster, and now I’m using a Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster for my G20 (I love it by the way). I dress to fit what i happen to be doing, so if its shorts and a tee, then so be it, I pay no special attention to my clothing other then making sure it does not impede access to my weapon.

One thing that has struck me time and time again is the total lack of attention I get for open carry, in fact I would venture to say that no more then 20% of the people I encounter on a daily basis even noticethe full size Glock riding on my right hip. Those that do take notice usually simply smile, and a few may even ask what I am carrying. Once in a great while do I will run into an anti, and when I do, they are usually defeated with a short talking to; in fact, the majority of people that doapproach meaboutopen carrying are just curious of the legality of carryinga pistol.

I open carry for a couple reasons, first and foremost, I am a staunch supporter of the entire bill of RIGHTS, especially the 2nd RIGHT. Getting permission from the state to carry a gun is turning your RIGHT into a privilege, something I do not agree with, and never will. Next, firearms are under constant attack from a great number of people, and although the gun owners of America are a strong group, I feel that open carry is a great way to not only demonstrate that most private gun owners are safe mature people, but also educated, and intelligent. It also removes some of the fear the public has of guns, because they see me, and my gun, and they see a law abiding, regular person going bout his daily life. This is a good thing for us.

As I mentioned before, I'm19, and mecarrying openly helpsfight the image that people of my age tend to perpetuate. I’m not immature, nora criminal, nor a moron, and quite frankly anything else bad or evil. I’m a responsible young adult, who defends his rights, and himself. I think safely carrying a gun, and being knowledgeable about the laws regarding my choice is one of the best things someone of my age can do, not only for themselves, and the gun people,but the general public as a whole.

As far as the ideas that open carry will lead to me getting my gun snatched, or me shot first during the perpetration of a crime, or whatever. To that I say situational awareness. Being aware of what is going on around you is paramount, gun or not, and noticing the danger signs that always come before a crime will prevent you from becoming a victim because of your gun.

Regardless of your choice to carry open or hidden, or to even carry at all, take care, be safe, and have fun.

-Josh.

mattjohnston87

imported post

Well said. I too am 19. I have a wife and a son, so I also see myself as a responsible young adult. I agree that people our age are given a label which is totally false these days.

Thanks for sharing.

Matt

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Well, that's easy enough to do in NM but here in TX there is no open-carry and some people can't qualify for a CHL even though they are not criminals. So, if they want to carry for self-defense purposes, there is no other option but to carry "illegally."

Unfortunately, 99 out of 100 people are so afraid of becoming "non-law-abiding" citizens (outlaws) that they aid & abet -- and therefore condone -- the delinquency of "the state" as it rents/sells us our rights via the CCW/CHL permit system. Hardly anyone (I'm talking about decent citizens, not criminals) will refuse to get a permit, carry anyway, and risk getting caught.

I agree with them to some extent...I mean, if you have a family to support, good career, house payments, etc., you could end up in jail or get lots of bad press in your community (even fired?) if you carry without a permit and get caught -- which could seriously mess up your life and your family's -- so the risk is indeed great. But for single people who have no one (no dependents), no house payments, or are retired, it is easier to stand up and risk the fall.

All I'm saying is that most people won't fight the permit system via "civil disobedience" (i.e., carry anyway, permitless) because they are afraid of the consequences.

Consequently, they'd rather obey "the law" even if it's bad/illegal or even unconstitutional.

-- John D.

glock.40

imported post

I am also 20 and since I cannot yet get my CHL I have started to OC here in Albuquerque and in Rio Rancho no bad experiences yet I am still a little uneasy about where OC is allowed and not allowed I have a one year old son and we often go to public parks and such for him to play but I have not carried there yet. I too have found that many times people simply respect the fact that it is a personal choice and leave it at that but I am sure surprises are in store. I was glad to hear experiences similar to my own, thought I was the only one.

SickTag

imported post

I am down here in Alamogordo and have not had any problems yet. A few looks but no questions. I went to the carwash this past week and forgot I was carrying all together, and was only reminded of the fact when I got some curious glances from some teenagers. Even though I was carrying my handgun, they only asked me about my truck. "hey nice truck" was all they said, no "hey nice gun or any questions about it." Other people at the carwash didn't seem to even notice or care, which is nice. Of course I do live near an Air Force Base and I am sure that a lot of people are used to it. No problems with the police either, even when I have it in my vehicle. I had some problems with a homeless guy trying to get into my car while I was in it and had to pull l my piece. Ended the problem right away. Someone had seen the guy trying to get in and called the cops, and I was a little nervous about telling them about pulling it, but they were completely cool with it and were pretty much like: "hey it's your right to have it, if someone wants to challenge you while you have it, it's his problem."

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, I feel naked (almost) when I am unarmed. If I forget my gun but at least have my knife (a Gerber "Applegate-Fairbairn Covert Folder" Model 5786) I don't feel too bad but if I forget both, I know I am a victim waiting to happen. Some people call that just being paranoid; I think it's just being realistic. On top of that -- being unarmed gun-wise -- I am less likely to be able to come to someone else's aid since relying on fisticuffs is not recommended.

Was up in Rio Rancho a few days ago but didn't OC partly because I still don't have a decent (or any) OC holster for my "unusual" OC gun (a Tokarev). I suppose a 1911 holster would work but with the Tokarev being distinctly thinner than a 1911 it may not fit that well. And because the Tok is so uncommonly found, TMK no one makes a production holster (vs. a $$$ custom holster-maker) just for a Tok.

-- John D.

P.S. I almost had an "tragic incident" with a psycho "Authorized Time-Warner Cable Contractor" a few days ago on the road and at a stoplight (while I was still in NM) -- I was just a heartbeat away from shooting the guy in the head -- but that didn't happen. I could, however, imagine myself on the local news at 10 it came so close to a shooting. I am sure glad I had a gun with me...if I ever needed any reminders (which I don't) why I carry.

glock.40

imported post

I am the same way I also feel somewhat naked when I am unarmed. In my opinion if you are not taking precautions from becoming a victim you are essentially standing in line to become one. I carried in Lowes the other night to pick up some electrical supplies, didn't get any strange looks. I did have one of the employees jokingly tell me " I didn't do it" but that was about it. OC really is better accepted, even in Albuquerque, than most make it out to be. I rarely get any questions but when I do the person is usually just curious and I am happy to answer them. I have never had to draw my weapon though, I do travel to some pretty shady parts of the city sometimes so I doubt I will be able to say that foreverhowever I don't look forward to the day I do.

glock.40

imported post

I carry a glock 23 in a bianchi accumold duty holster whichwas a little on the cheap side but does well for my OC. I do think you are correct in that it would probably fit pretty loosely in a 1911 holster and the surplus holsters for it may cover too much ( by some standards). I don't know much about them though, just out of curriosity what cal. is it?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

7.62x25 Tokarev caliber. Great for hard targets...just watch your backdrop...but that's true of any caliber.

Yes, I do have the issue-holster for it and as you suggest, I'm not sure a flap holster means the gun is "concealed" even though the holster doesn't look like it's a cellphone carrier. I mean, just wear the holster sans gun and see if people don't think "gun" right off, so that's hardly hiding it I'd say.

Don't know what NM law is re OC-ing, re: holsters and gun visibility in same or, if it's a flap holster (with magazine-carier attached to it) that it's still obvious it's a gun even though most of it isn't seen.

I like flap holsters...some degree of retention is built-in for one thing. And they protect the gun. And I prefer milsurp guns & gear anyway.

But please, no one tell me how "slow" flap holsters are...im my case, that's a non-issue. Besides, I'm "special needs" and it works for me. ;)

-- John D.

SickTag

imported post

I think I lucked out when I bought my hi point because they also had a FOBUS quick draw tact-holster that was designed for the hi point 9 mm. It fits well, though I did at first seem kind of worried about the fact that the holding part of the holster is around the trigger guard. I have worn the holster on all my OCs, not my old "slow" flap holster that might be similar to clouds. My only worry is grab. It isn't the best to protect again a grab, but it is a pain to pull unless you are drawing it as the person wearing it. Any other angle and you just end up struggling a little bit. The holster is pretty simple and I wear it on my strong side while driving and just adjust it to the front while I am walking about, this way I am not blind to anyone reaching for my gun. This is pretty open sight and actually people seem to notice it before anything 20% of the time. The rest of the people I have come around haven't really noticed it. I know I was worried about wearing a jacket or sweater with this holster but someone suggested a leg holster, which takes away any question about "visiblity."

Cloud I can really relate to feeling "naked" while unarmed. There are a few places that I have to go that I cannot OC. Kmart, Wal Mart, and the bank. I was told the bank is considered a "federal" building by a gun at the gun counter at wal mart, but I am not sure of this. Banks are pretty much PRIVATELY owned, though they do work with the government. Does anyone know one way or another? I think the gun was trying to talk me out of OC maybe because he was like you will goto prison and they will take your gun and when you get out you cannot even hold an unloaded gun again etc... just from OCing to the bank...

DesertFire

imported post

I am curious about OC at the bank too, I am moving into the Santa Fe area in about a week and a half. By the way Im moving from Texas and had a fun experience with the San Marcos PD when I walked into my bank and aparently accidentally exposed my weapon as I was getting off my bicycle...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum51/14256.html

I am very much looking forward to OCing the moment we leave Texas!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SickTag,

I recently had to take the bus back to El Paso (TX) get my motorcycle and drive it back to Galveston (TX)...800 mile trip one-way. Reading Greyhound's (website) rules and regulations and such, I was not clear on whether I would be searched or not at the bus terminal for items listed as "prohibited" either in checked baggage or carry-on, so I decided to just leave the gun in Galveston to avoid any "unpleasantness" trying to explain what they found on me, etc..

But I HATED to ride the bus UNarmed (with a GUN...I had a knife -- took a chance getting caught with THAT since without it, I'd be completely unarmed -- but wanted my gun damn it!) with who knows who aboard (passengers of all stripes and some of questionable appearances/backgrounds, one even was a released prisoner on the psycho side). Also, I did not like having to ride my bike back (another 800-mile trip of course) also unarmed without my gun. I asked a couple of fellow passengers what would happen if some guy got up and started shooting...we'd all die was the concensus...since even the driver was unarmed (and one driver had been recently stabbed by a passenger recently).

Then I read this today:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,395313,00.html

Damn the gun laws that ONLY affect decent citizens, as criminals certainly couldn't care less about obeying them.

As for "getting caught with a gun, getting convicted of a felony and then never being legally allowed to own/carry a gun again"...so what? BFD. Criminals don't give a crap and do it all the time.

If I ever become one of them, so will I.

-- John D.

RogueWarrior

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Yes, I feel naked (almost) when I am unarmed. If I forget my gun but at least have my knife (a Gerber "Applegate-Fairbairn Covert Folder" Model 5786) I don't feel too bad but if I forget both, I know I am a victim waiting to happen. Some people call that just being paranoid; I think it's just being realistic. On top of that -- being unarmed gun-wise -- I am less likely to be able to come to someone else's aid since relying on fisticuffs is not recommended.

Was up in Rio Rancho a few days ago but didn't OC partly because I still don't have a decent (or any) OC holster for my "unusual" OC gun (a Tokarev). I suppose a 1911 holster would work but with the Tokarev being distinctly thinner than a 1911 it may not fit that well. And because the Tok is so uncommonly found, TMK no one makes a production holster (vs. a $$$ custom holster-maker) just for a Tok.

-- John D.

P.S. I almost had an "tragic incident" with a psycho "Authorized Time-Warner Cable Contractor" a few days ago on the road and at a stoplight (while I was still in NM) -- I was just a heartbeat away from shooting the guy in the head -- but that didn't happen. I could, however, imagine myself on the local news at 10 it came so close to a shooting. I am sure glad I had a gun with me...if I ever needed any reminders (which I don't) why I carry.
Mate have a look at this site they make good and reasonable price holsters

http://www.theholsterstore.com/servlet/StoreFront

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I got one at AIM Surplus and the other at Center Fire Systems...they were the milsurp Romanian ones with two magazines, cleaning rod, lanyard and holster.

I haven't looked lately to see who carries Tokarevs of any make (if anyone) and the Romanian ones released may have dried up by now so we'll have to wait to see if some other country's milsurp Tokarevs become available...if there are any still left hidden away in some former Eastern Bloc country's armory that is.

I guess most holsters for 1911s will fit -- kind of -- but being distinctly "slimmer" guns than the 1911, the Tokarev would proably be a little loose in a 1911 rig.

-- John D.