• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB and Open Carry?

jeri534

imported post

If I have my shirt tucked in, can I carry with an IWB holster?

azcdlfred

imported post

jeri534 wrote:
If I have my shirt tucked in, can I carry with an IWB holster?

It depends. The law, ARS 13-3102.F, says the gun must be in a belt holster and the holster (not the gun) must be visible. In a typical IWB, the holster may not be visible. Compounding that are the 1994 Adams and Moerman decisions that intperpreted the "wholly or partially" visible language in the ARS to mean obvious to ordinary observation. So, a gun tucked in an IWB may not be obvious and the holster may not be visible. It's all up to the whim of the cop you encounter and your attitude at the time. There is noclear objective standard to go by.

Wanna see it get better? AzCDL has two bills we're pushing this year:
SB1301- redifines open carry.
SB1629- drops the penatly for CCW w/o a permit to petty offense.

We could use your help getting these bills passed.

Fred

Hermit

imported post

The ambiguity surrounding open carry (and concealed carry to a large extent) is ridiculous.

If it were up to me, no permits for either, period. :cuss:

I want to see the laws changed and will do my part where I can.

azcdlfred

imported post

Hermit wrote:
The ambiguity surrounding open carry (and concealed carry to a large extent) is ridiculous.

Our goal is to make permits optional. We found that many non-carrying gun owners like permits because they can bypass the NICS check. Also, having a permit brings reocgnition and reciprocity with other states.

We want to decriminilize law-abiding carrying without a permit.

Fred

Hermit

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Our goal is to make permits optional. We found that many non-carrying gun owners like permits because they can bypass the NICS check. Also, having a permit brings reocgnition and reciprocity with other states.

We want to decriminilize law-abiding carrying without a permit.

Fred
I understand. I'm all for decriminalizing law-abiding citizens carrying without a permit.