• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Application Question (Fairfax)

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

According to the Fairfax CWP Procedure pamphlet, an Honorable Discharge from the military serves as proof of competency with a handgun. I'm retired Navy and have had many such training courses. Do I provide them with 3copies of my DD-214 as proof? Has anyone had problems under the same situation?

Oh, and I just joined VDCL tonight!

[align=center]Ruger P345 .45ACP - Winchester 77 .22LR Rifle
Knights of Columbus Member - "GOD"
National Rifle Association Life Member - "GUNS"
US Navy SCPO (Retired) 1984-2004 - "GUTS"
Veteran of Foreign Wars Lifetime Member
Virginia Citizens Defense League Member
[/align]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

That is in VA Code - hon disch. = proof of training. Make sure you edact your SSN from that form and refuse to put youyr SSN on the CHP application - your whole law file is a public record remember!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks Mike! I was going to ask about the SSN info also.

I thought the form was amusing. I wonder just how many insane, illegal immigrant felons they've caught because they checked YES on some of those blocks?? lol...

Tomahawk

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I used my DD214 in Fairfax county, no problem. However, I didn't know Mike then and didn't redact my SSN. :)
Same here. But when I went for my renewal and the clerk told me I had to fill in the SSN line, I told them, "No, I don't think I do," and I actually won an argument with a government official for perhaps the first time I can recall...thanks for that, Mike.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just redid my form without the SSN and will redact same on the DD-214! THey have my name and DOB, the VSP can find out everything they need to know from that alone.

VAopencarry

imported post

Bob, Also be advised when you purchase a firearm, the SSN is optional on the state form. Not sure about the Federal form, Mike?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Quoted from VCDL:

"Notably, the federal handgun transfer screening form, mandated by the Brady Act, explicitly warns that SSN disclosure is OPTIONAL in bold letters. The same Federal Privacy Act that controls SSN collection on the federal form also covers state and local forms. So the next time you are asked to disclose your SSN on a CHP application form, or as part of any state or local scheme of firearm regulation, just write "Not Disclosed, If Any (per 5 USC 552a note)."

What a wealth of info! Thanks gents!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Also, if you live in one of the 26% of VA localities which optionally choose to fingerprint first time CHP applicants, SSN is not required on the FBI fingerprint forms - the localities should warn you of this, per the FBI warning on the cards, but they tend to break the law and fail to administer the warning.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Damn, now I have to wait for a bill to come in to show proof of residence! I have no house phone and get all my utility bills "paperless" and a computer printed copy will likely not suffice. Either that or use a copy of my lease WITHa notarized letter from my landlord stating my time of residence here. So much for doing all my business online! lol...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Damn, now I have to wait for a bill to come in to show proof of residence! I have no house phone and get all my utility bills "paperless" and a computer printed copy will likely not suffice. Either that or use a copy of my lease WITHa notarized letter from my landlord stating my time of residence here. So much for doing all my business online! lol...
Nope - just drop it off without it. the requirment is extra legal - tell them you don't have anything they want, and drop it off. worst case you will have an ore tensu heairng and the judge will approve it anyway.

Please do this - this extra-legal requirement has bugged us for a long time.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will, Mike. Thanks. I had to already show proof of legal presence just to get my VA driver's license and that has my address on it. One would think that should suffice in any event.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

If you want, bring what you have, but a bunch of us have been fighting this req. off an on for some time. One guy went to ore tenus with an attorney after being denied for failing to have proof of residence - the judge simply gave him his permit.

I owuld not let them copy my DL unless you redact the DL # though...public record.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, the 45 day clock is ticking! I only had a computer copy of my electric bill and I redacted the account number from that as well as my SSN from theDD-214. They took everything with no questions asked. In fact, the only thing of note was when I told the lady behind the counter it was a CHP application she sighed heavily, but only because it was 1600 and that meant 10 minutes of work for her. She was nice throughout and I thanked her for her time.

VAopencarry

imported post

Mine took 39 days.

Chances are it is sitting in some judges in basket. But only signs them on 1 particular day, like every Friday he signs CHP's or something. OK, I am just guessing:)

sitedzn

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Three weeks from today will be 45 days. Do they typically take the full 45 days? Anyone ever get it sooner? Just curious.
you should move south a little. i submitted my paperwork on 01/16 around 3:00, and the issue date on my permit is 01/23.

IanB

imported post

It took exactly 30 days to get mine (in the mail) last summer. The effective date for the permit was ONE DAY after it arrived in my mailbox! So, I had a permit I couldn't use for one day until it became effective.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks for the replies, that gives me a time frame. I prefer to OC, but there are times when I see that CC could be useful, such as with an ankle strapped BUG, avoiding issues while in the car or even when OC'ing and picking up my daughter from night school. Seedy looking characters around there and don't like not carryingwhen Ipick her up.

Hey nekkid... isn't post-dating official documents illegal?? Hmmmmm....