• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Application Question (Fairfax)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I used my DD214 in Fairfax county, no problem. However, I didn't know Mike then and didn't redact my SSN. :)

Same here.

I also had to grin. I spent 22 years in the Air Force and touched a weapon 3 times. And in basic training it was the M-16 modified to shoot .22 LR.

The other times were to go overseas. I think "qualify" meant "know which end the bullets come out".

I'm not complaining, but I certainly wouldn't give the military credit for my competence with a handgun :)

SubXD-9

imported post

Henrico Co. clerk will tell you it will take around 30 days. We will see :D

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tess wrote:

I'm not complaining, but I certainly wouldn't give the military credit for my competence with a handgun :)

I wouldn't give the military credit for training this guy either!!

algore-gun.jpg

IanB

imported post

Is that YOU Bob? Wasn't it SCARY being so close to an evil "assault rifle"? I mean, it's like pointed straight at your head!! It's trying to KILL you! At least you were putting a leash on it to keep it under control. Every Evil Black Rifle should be kept on a leash so they don't start indiscriminately BLASTING folks. You would be much safer if they issued you a Ruger Mini-14, they are nicer non-assault type rifles.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"Let's see,maybe if Ispit in the barrel, that'll make 'em slide down easier." :what:

Bob, my Fx.Co. CHPtook about 30 days, last year. Someone posted that they sit in an "In Basket". I think that is exactly right. It would be interesting to see if there has been an increase in CHP apps, this past year.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Is that YOU Bob? Wasn't it SCARY being so close to an evil "assault rifle"? I mean, it's like pointed straight at your head!! It's trying to KILL you! At least you were putting a leash on it to keep it under control. Every Evil Black Rifle should be kept on a leash so they don't start indiscriminately BLASTING folks. You would be much safer if they issued you a Ruger Mini-14, they are nicer non-assault type rifles.

I hear ya nekkid! They've actually captured one of those EBR's and have placed it in a "time out"under close live video surveillance over at http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com

So far it hasn't killed anyone, hasn't been involved in any acts of violence andis perhaps one of the most non-violent assault weapons I've ever seen! I'm more puzzled by this every day...

Perhaps that's because it feels alone and isolated away from it's friends.

VAspringer

imported post

Bob,

Got my permit through Fairfax County about 18 months ago. It took 23 days from thetime I dropped it of at the court house. Just an FYI

I've seen time frames from 2 weeks to 30 days......don't believe I've ever heard of one going the full 45 days. Good Luck.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well now ain't this a kick in the ass!!

I opened the mailbox today and there was my SASE with my CHP!

But wait....the issue date on the card is 3/26/2007!!! I can't use the frigging thing until then? What a PITA... :cuss::banghead:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Well now ain't this a kick in the ass!!

I opened the mailbox today and there was my SASE with my CHP!

But wait....the issue date on the card is 3/26/2007!!! I can't use the frigging thing until then? What a PITA... :cuss::banghead:
Call the Clerk of Courts and have them issue you a corrected permit - this is no doubt a mistake.

IanB

imported post

Mike,

I don't think it's a "mistake" at all. People I've talked to who have recently (last year) gotten a CHP in the mail has been backdated to some extent. Mine was only one day. A random guy at the range told me his was backdated 45 days from when he submitted paperwork to the clerk. It seems like Bob's is backdated to the 45 day limit as well.

Edit: Bob submitted his CHP on Feb 12. Mar 26 is 43 days after paperwork was submitted.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It just makes me wonder what the hell the purpose of dating it like that is? I would just rather have them issue me a valid CHP a day or two after the fact than wait. Some poor slob who doesn't pay attention might get his early, sign it assuming it's valid and get busted.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

OK BobCav - thi sis your first fire mission in fairfax County, should you choose to accept it.

Contact the Clerk's office, ask them what this is all about, inquire as to process, see if it needs higher level attention - I have Clerk Frey's email address if you ultimately need it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav,

Ask to speak to Carol Snow. All the applications cross her desk and she is incredibly pleasant to talk to. Friendly and helpful. She may not know the answers, but she'll know where to get them.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
It just makes me wonder what the hell the purpose of dating it like that is?  I would just rather have them issue me a valid CHP a day or two after the fact than wait.  Some poor slob who doesn't pay attention might get his early, sign it assuming it's valid and get busted.

They are just trying to be helpful. They don't want you to lose even one day of use from your permit while it crawls slowly toward you in the snail mail. Aren't they nice!:lol:

PS

BobCav - You are driving my spell checker nuts! It thinks you should be call "BobCat"

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike got it, I'm on point. I'll contact Carol Snow on Monday and inquire as to the reason and try to get to the bottom of this. If need be, we'll escalate as necessary. One note, I did NOT list my SSN on the application soI'm wondering if this is some sort of "payback".

OK people, here's the question that applies only toCHP Holders that applied in Fairfax County:

I need the following information, if you're willing to help:

How many days from application to receipt? Was it backdated and if so, by how many days;Did you provide SSN? Please PM me so nothing is posted, if you feel safer.

Hawk, they're so thoughtful, huh?

LEO 229

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Mike got it, I'm on point. I'll contact Carol Snow on Monday and inquire as to the reason and try to get to the bottom of this. If need be, we'll escalate as necessary. One note, I did NOT list my SSN on the application soI'm wondering if this is some sort of "payback".

OK people, here's the question that applies only toCHP Holders that applied in Fairfax County:

I need the following information, if you're willing to help:

How many days from application to receipt? Was it backdated and if so, by how many days;Did you provide SSN? Please PM me so nothing is posted, if you feel safer.

Hawk, they're so thoughtful, huh?

I have some first hand knowledge on the permit process and can tell you that the SSN is not required but can be helpful. It is only used during the VCIN and NCIC checks to help filter out any records that do not belong to you. This would come into play if you have a name that is more common. The SSN is always available thru the DMV check so the investigatorcan still obtain it and use it as needed.

You application is sent from the court clerk to a civilianinvestigator who does all the checks. He then forwards a letter the to the the judgewhere he identifies if the permit is "recommended" or not. The investigator does not decide if it is granted or denied as that is up to the judge.

There are several CWP applications waiting to be processed. And some are done faster than others. You know how it works... as more applications are placed in the in basket.. the previous apps are pushed down the line. Some of the recent apps are processed quickly as they sit at the top.

The investigator is not going to process your app any slower because you did not include your SSN. There are many people who do not include it so it is nothing new.

I hope this helps.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I have some first hand knowledge on the permit process and can tell you that the SSN is not required but can be helpful. It is only used during the VCIN and NCIC checks to help filter out any records that do not belong to you. This would come into play if you have a name that is more common. The SSN is always available thru the DMV check so the investigatorcan still obtain it and use it as needed.

You application is sent from the court clerk to a civilianinvestigator who does all the checks. He then forwards a letter the to the the judgewhere he identifies if the permit is "recommended" or not. The investigator does not decide if it is granted or denied as that is up to the judge.

There are several CWP applications waiting to be processed. And some are done faster than others. You know how it works... as more applications are placed in the in basket.. the previous apps are pushed down the line. Some of the recent apps are processed quickly as they sit at the top.

The investigator is not going to process your app any slower because you did not include your SSN. There are many people who do not include it so it is nothing new.

I hope this helps.
BobCav,

After the application leaves Ms. Snow's desk itgoes to an Officer Eric Tate, unless he's been recently transferred. He does the checking. I personally talked to him when mine was being processed. I've even got his signatures on my paperwork, if I recall.

Here in Virginia we call them a CHP because the only thing under the heading authorized to be concealed is a handgun. Not "weapons." Just a certain kind of weapon--a handgun.

I didnt' list my SSN and got the permit in less than the statute-required time. I'll dig up the info for you tonight and PM you tomorrow or Monday.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks guys for the info. Yep, my Criminal Background Investigation was done by officer Eric Tate and the letter was signed by Carol Snow for John T. Frey, Clerk of the Circuit Court.

Maybe the SSN has nothing to do with it, maybe it does. I guess we'll find out!