• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jefferson County?

ScottZ

imported post

THere isn't any information on the Jeffco website regarding OC. Does anyone have any experience there, especially in Littleton?

denwego

imported post

Well, since it's outside of Denver, open carrying is legal and protected by the state's preemption statute... however, Littleton is pretty close to Denver, so you might get some trouble from the more self-righteous of the city's inhabitants. Here's the relevant laws for you, in case you want to have something confirming the legality of open carrying around Littleton:

6-7-1: CONCEALING OR DISPLAYING IN THREATENING MANNER: (A)It shall be unlawful for any person to wear under his clothes, or concealed about his person, or to display in a threatening manner, any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, slingshot, cross knuckles or knuckles of lead, brass or other metal, or any bowie knife, dirk, dagger or any knife resembling a bowie knife, or any knife described in section 6-7-3 of this chapter, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(B)Nothing in this section shall be construed to forbid any law enforcement officer from carrying or wearing, while on duty, such weapons as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of his duties, nor shall this section be construed so as to prevent the concealed carrying of any type of gun when unloaded and properly carried to or from any shooting range or gallery. (1971 Code, sec. 26.1)

6-7-9: FIREARMS PROHIBITED IN OR UPON PUBLIC FACILITIES: (A)The open carrying of firearms in or upon public facilities including, but not limited to: buildings, sites, areas, including municipally owned, operated, or leased buildings or properties; recreation facilities; and public parks, trails, or open space is unlawful when said facilities are posted with notification that the carrying of firearms is prohibited.
(B)Postings, including the appearance thereof, shall be approved by the city council.
(C)Nothing in this section shall be construed to forbid any law enforcement officer from carrying or wearing such weapons and firearms as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of his or her duties. (Ord. 18, Series of 2003)

Anubis

imported post

I recreated at aJefferson County Open Space park last week. I scoped out all signs on entering the park and parking in the lot; there were no posted regulations concerning firearms.

We hiked a trail that crossed the park boundary and entered National Forest land, where open carry and permitted concealed carry is legal. Re-entering the park, there I saw a sign with all Open Space regulations in fairly small print, including this text:

5.84.8 It shall be unlawful to possess, discharge, or use firearms, B-B guns, pellet guns, air guns, cross bows, long bows, paint ball guns or slingshots while upon any Open Space lands, except in designated areas or while in the possession of a valid Jefferson County Open Space Hunting Access Permit or by law enforcement officers on official duty. Fine: $120

which I also located athttp://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/rules.pdf