• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs to carry in a mall?

pingdashf

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Carrying in a crowded mall certainly makes you hyper-situationally aware...

I think you just convinced me to keep it concealed when heading to the mall.

I like to believe I'm not racist, but I have to admit the "what ifs" start running through my head when I see a group of 5 hispanic kids but not when I see a group of 5 white kids. That's sad.

I usually OC when I go fishing, but if I'm hitting the trout stocking parties at Lake Fairfax i conceal. Too much MS-13 crap in the area, and I'd rather them not know I'm packing else I find myself with a knife in the back while I reel in a trout all so some gang dude could get a new piece.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
BobCav wrote:

No, not saying that at all.It was perhaps toogeneral of a statementbased on what I observed up to that time.Deadly force could be used depending onhow threatening they were, and if I had reasonable fear for my life AT THAT TIME.Too many variables to say 1) what their intentions would have been and 2) if based on those actions I would have been afraid for my life.

What if I'm not afraid of dying?? Does that mean that I can never use deadly force?
I can see where one COULD be concerned about having to prove your life was in danger and a jury trial would be iffy, at best. especially in light of some of the things i've read from anonymous people out in VA.
Hell, if I'm ever truly afraid for my life, the jury will be the LAST thing I'm worried about. This is an awesome power we carry with us, it demands an awesome responsbility.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pingdashf wrote:
BobCav wrote:

I like to believe I'm not racist, but I have to admit the "what ifs" start running through my head when I see a group of 5 hispanic kids but not when I see a group of 5 white kids. That's sad.

I usually OC when I go fishing, but if I'm hitting the trout stocking parties at Lake Fairfax i conceal. Too much MS-13 crap in the area, and I'd rather them not know I'm packing else I find myself with a knife in the back while I reel in a trout all so some gang dude could get a new piece.
Not racist, but descriptive since there's cultural differences that can make a difference. And like you said MS-13. I used to have a list of all th elocal gang marks, symbols and colors from a local LEO I worked with. I'll see if I can get a newer copy of that.

Tomahawk

imported post

pingdashf wrote:
BobCav wrote:

CC is fine, and I also prefer to CC in crowded areas. I prefer OC when driving or outdoors, or when sitting down to eat after rmoving my jacket. As far as I'm concerned, OC and CC are both rights, each have their uses,and I shouldn't need a permit for either.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
pingdashf wrote:
BobCav wrote:

Not racist, but descriptive since there's cultural differences that can make a difference.  And like you said MS-13.  I used to have a list of all th elocal gang marks, symbols and colors from a local LEO I worked with.  I'll see if I can get a newer copy of that.

I have a couple of posters that have this info on them in digital format. I will contact Mike and see if he might want to make them availoabel for people to download.

Regards

SIGarmed229

imported post

This question is askew from the current discussion going on but im curious. Does Springfield mall allow OC or CC? This may have already been answered elsewhere but I cant quite remember.

mlands

imported post

I have never seen a sign that says you can't carry at Springfield Mall.About 25 years whileI was still brainwashed and ignorant about gun lawsthinking you had to have a permit or be a LEO to carry, I sawa mancarrying in thatmall. Iwas standingnextto aFairfax CountyLEO who was assignedto the mall andpointed it out to the cop who then looked at me like I was an idiot and saidthat it was perfectly okay. Soon after that I completely changed my way of thinking on gun rights. Too bad that all cops don't have that cop'smaturity, manner, demeaner and gun law knowledge.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nothing posted on any of the entrances I've used, Target, JCPenney, mall entrances by both, nothing. I haven't been in each and every one, but it's safe to say BOTH are OK.

IanB

imported post

I OC'd a Sig all over the mall (springfield) during X-mas shopping last year. No problems.

Best buy across from the mall? Different story. Yellow shirt (security) saw me on his camera and came to ask me if I had a CCH. I told him I did and he requested I put my jacket back on to hide the firearm. I complied, he thanked me and left. I wonder what he will do in the summer when I'm not wearing a jacket?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I OC'd a Sig all over the mall (springfield) during X-mas shopping last year. No problems.

Best buy across from the mall? Different story. Yellow shirt (security) saw me on his camera and came to ask me if I had a CCH. I told him I did and he requested I put my jacket back on to hide the firearm. I complied, he thanked me and left. I wonder what he will do in the summer when I'm not wearing a jacket?
I have OCed at that Best Buy wthout problem several times.

mercutio545

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Yellow shirt (security) saw me on his camera and came to ask me if I had a CCH. I told him I did and he requested I put my jacket back on to hide the firearm. I complied, he thanked me and left. I wonder what he will do in the summer when I'm not wearing a jacket?

The person in the yellow shirt is the the loss prevention guy. Even though he was technically an employee and could have asked you to leave, you should have asked to speak to a manager and gotten their information. You shouldn't comply to somebody asking you to conceal your firearm, thats the whole point of open carry. I've been told to leave a couple of best buys, and I've found that theres usually a circuit city nearby that has always been gun friendly :D