• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at VA School Board Meetings opinion poll need to be pounded!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NEW ARTICLE: http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-yorkguns,0,7870828.story?coll=dp-widget-news

POLL at http://hamptonroads.com/pilotonline

AG Opinion at http://tinyurl.com/yotbv8

Article at:"McDonnell disarms school boards on gun bans," The Virginia Pilot, 13 February 2007, at http://tinyurl.com/298n6oSNIP

The ruling was hailed by members of the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

"The truth of the matter is, schools deal with children, school board meetings are mostly for adults," said league President Philip Van Cleave.

Van Cleave said he believes McDonnell's ruling extends to meetings held at school administration buildings as well. He said his organization is continuing to push the General Assembly to lift the prohibition of firearms in schools.

"We're not going to hurt anybody," fellow league member Mike Stollenwerk said. "We're the ones you want around when you have the madman on the loose."

A survey of most South Hampton Roads cities found that while most school boards meet in administration or city hall buildings, officials could not recall anyone openly carrying a gun.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It won't let me vote twice from work, so we'll get two more votes in after we get home tonight.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
I wonder if you clear your history and cookies if you can vote repeatedly from thesame machine?? Hmm.
Yes, this works too - but best to email the link to your freinds, family and associates for their education and chance to vote.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Note that the Pilot and the Daily Press polls are worded opposite from one another, i.e. a yes vote on one is like a no vote on the other. Read carefully!

I voted (at least once)! :D

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It must really rip those media Bolshevists to see their push-poll propaganda being turned back on them by gun groups! This kind of response is why politicians have learned not to ignore us or f*** with us. They know we turn out the troops and vote.

MarinesWife

imported post

I thought it was illegal to even go on School grounds with a weapon whether it be Open or Concealed .. :question:

bayboy42

imported post

MarinesWife - The issue at hand here is that the meetings in this particular localityare NOT held on school property (grounds) thus the board has no authority to ban guns nor can people who choose to carry be prosecuted.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

No, it isn't always illegal to have a firearmon school property in Virginia. With a valid CHP, for example, you can be in your car on school property with a loaded weapon, provided you stay in your car. So, dad or mom can drop their kids off at school with a gun in the car under some circumstances.And that's not all... there are other exceptions that someone else can illuminate as well.

VAopencarry

imported post

Exceptions for school carry, VA Code 18.2-308.1

(vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Tess wrote:
It won't let me vote twice from work, so we'll get two more votes in after we get home tonight.
Tess, Vote early and vote often! Are you moving to Chicago?:lol:

Before you vote a second time clear any cookies from your drive, or at least the sites cookie if you can recognize it. That done, you should be able to vote again.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
MarinesWife - The issue at hand here is that the meetings in this particular localityare NOT held on school property (grounds) thus the board has no authority to ban guns nor can people who choose to carry be prosecuted.

REMEBER: Guns are only banned in VA (generally, with exceptions) on the grounds of "elementary, secondary, and high schools." Va. Code Section 18.2-308.1(B).

Gun carry otherwsie on school district property, on the grounds of "elementary, secondary, and high school,is not prohibited!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks, Lockman. I saw that DC asked that question. I'll vote more than once from home <grin>.

Chicago? When I currently live in Virginia???? I don't THINK so <grin>.

I visited Texas last weekend, and someone asked me if I plan to move back. Maybe after TXCDL gets open carry approved.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Tess,

I hope the TCDL gets that done, but even if it does, *I* will be moving out of here.

Where I am now (El Paso) is more like Mexico than America and it's only going to get worse, so I'm getting out...going to move to America...if I can find it. The "real" Texas -- beyond this Border area -- is probably different, but I'll be leaving the state anyway. Can't get a CHL here because I don't qualify, and O-C is out...for now.

But while here, I support the TCDL and will help however I can.

-- John D.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Come on to Virginia.

We can open carry.
We can get concealed carry permits.
We can thumb our noses across the Potomac to the Peoples Republic of DC

And unemployment is very low.

Of course, it's much easier to afford to live here if you're more than 50 miles from DC.