• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at VA School Board Meetings opinion poll need to be pounded!

bayboy42

imported post

Mike wrote:
REMEBER: Guns are only banned in VA (generally, with exceptions) on the grounds of "elementary, secondary, and high schools." Va. Code Section 18.2-308.1(B).

Gun carry otherwsie on school district property, on the grounds of "elementary, secondary, and high school,is not prohibited!
Mike, don't understand your statement.....did you possibly forget a "not" somewhere in your second statement??

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Tess,

I have considered it!

I used to live in Fairfax (Fairchester subdivision) when I was a kid...and would consider livng there again, but doubt my retirement income would go very far (apartment rental, etc.) in Fairfax nowadays.

Regards,

-- John D.

P.S. Yes, you can O-C there in VA...but please someone tell the Manassass City Police that!;)

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1486.html

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Mike wrote:
REMEBER: Guns are only banned in VA (generally, with exceptions) on the grounds of "elementary, secondary, and high schools." Va. Code Section 18.2-308.1(B).

Gun carry otherwsie on school district property, on the grounds of "elementary, secondary, and high school,is not prohibited!
Mike, don't understand your statement.....did you possibly forget a "not" somewhere in your second statement??
Yes, I forgot a "not" - 18.2-308(B) bans guns only on the grounds of a elementary, secondary, and high school. The title of the section is simplified to "property" but look at para (a) for knives, it applies to all property. Weird.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Tess, Vote early and vote often! Are you moving to Chicago?
That was actually a reference to how the Daley machine in Chi-town keeps getting re-elected. You can even keep voting twenty years after you're dead, as long as you're a Democrat.

bayboy42

imported post

Opinion Story in today's Daily Press (No author cited)

Firearms follies
Until the law is changed, guns are welcome at public meetings
February 19, 2007
Just because school boards discuss school issues doesn't mean that they enjoy the special protections schools have, legally, when it comes to guns.

Guns generally aren't allowed on school property, public or private. (There are some exceptions.) That means that so long as school boards meet on school property, they can (even must) enforce a no-guns-in-the-meeting policy.

But when they meet off-site, as the York County board does, they must abide by the gun rules that prevail in public places other than schools. And, unfortunately, in Virginia those rules basically allow guns - carried openly or, with a permit, concealed - in public places and at public events. There are a few exceptions, like courthouses, churches and airports.

The attorney general has reiterated this in an opinion sought by York County, which had an issue when a citizen openly wore his gun to a School Board meeting. In short: School board meetings are considered business gatherings for adults, not school functions for children.

The same goes for the meetings of boards of supervisors and city councils, planning commissions and library boards. So long as they're on public property, they can't ban guns.

Localities that don't like it can't do anything about it. The General Assembly doesn't tolerate efforts by localities to regulate guns - sales, ownership, possession, storage or carrying - or carve out gun-free spaces, even if the locality owns those spaces.

In the long run, the solution is to change the law, so localities that want to keep their meetings and their civic buildings or their parks gun free can do so.

In the short run, the solution for school boards is to meet on school property (and hope attendees honor the gun prohibition). If other public bodies want the same protection, they have to move their meetings into schools.

I especially get a kick out the proposed solution:banghead::cuss:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Opinion Story in today's Daily Press (No author cited)

Those of us who have been in this area for a long time (I've lived here my whole life) no doubt remember a few years back when the Daily dePressed had an anti-gun editorial every Monday.

:cuss:indeed

bayboy42

imported post

So I came up with a great big response to the opinion to submit online...but unfortunately their online retort section is limited to 500 characters....so here is all that made the cut.

In response to today's opinion letter entitled "Firearms Follies": I sure am glad that this attitude does not prevail. A recent poll on Hampton Roads Online indicates that 75% of the people who voted believe that school boards should NOT be allowed to prohibit the possession of firearms at board meetings held outside school grounds! I believe the Daily Press ran a similar poll with similar results.
Submitted by: Troy Andersen