• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help with CCW permit

SIGarmed229

imported post

I need to know pretty much everything in order to obtain a CCW. I've got a perfect driving record and lack-of criminal record. Ide like to know what I need and/or what I need to do. Also what Military Discharges will allow a permit. I know that an Honorable will be allowed but what about General Under Honorable and Other Than Honorable? I also know that bad conduct and dishonorable will bar you from the permit. Please clarify

VAopencarry

imported post

You aren't active duty?

VA Code 18.2-308 par E #11
Disqualified:

"An individual who has been discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions."

You can use your 214 to fullfil the training requirement, they will also need copies because they require a 214 on any service members, for verification of discharge type I assume.

Instructions for Permit Process in Fairfax County
Download the app, read the PDF file on how to go through the process.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
You can use your 214 to fullfil the training requirement, they will also need copies because they require a 214 on any service members, for verification of discharge type I assume.
Nobody needs to submit their DD Form 214, even if they were in the service - we went thru this with VA Beach some years ago - they stopped.

VAopencarry

imported post

Last year it was on Fairfax county's CHP procedures list. I just went and checked and saw it was revised last month and it is no longer there. I know it was there this time last year when I got mine. I guess they got the word....

VAopencarry

imported post

SIGarmed229 wrote:
Will I need to provide my SSN? And proof of residency! I have a DL ands thats about it, along with a cell phone bill. What am I to do?

I posted a link to FFX county that tells you exactly what you need to do. Different counties do things differnetly too. You are in Fairfax county? If not, nevermind. go to your county's circuit court website.

SIGarmed229

imported post

Hmmm, Answers my question on what I dont need but not fully. I just dont want to pay 50 bucks and then get denied because i didnt give them proof of residency. Although a DL should meet that criteria.

Does any page in the application need to be notarized?

SIGarmed229

imported post

Yes I am in FFX county. I acually have the application in front of mebut its confusing to the mind of a 21 year old Marine.... Ide rather not give them my SSN. This proof of residency thing is a real bugger as well. Could I use the registration of my vehicle as proof?

VAopencarry

imported post

No you don't have to give your SSN. There is a link on the page I posted above. That is the procedures for FFX county. It will tell what you need for reesidency, what needs notarized etc. Also you wouldn't be denied for a application missing paperwork, it would marked incomplete.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sig, I just applied for mine this past Monday and it was easy.Here's the Fairfax CHP Application Process (fileattached) and it's what I used myself. Mike advised me that if I used my DD-214 (not mandatory) make sure you redact (black out and make unreadable) your SSN. They have no need for that and once it's filed with your application, it becomes Public Record and anyone can gain access to it.

Here's a link to the thread I started with questions about my application: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1396.html

Also, on the application your SSN is not required and optional. Do not fill it in and instead write "Not Disclosed, If Any" and leave it at that. Proof of residency is also BS, as Mike explained. I was able to get a computer printout of my Dom Power bill and used that.

EDIT: Damn VAOpenCarry..you beat me to it!

Attachments

• Fairfax SP-248 info.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 318

SIGarmed229

imported post

Thanks yall for holding my damn hand through this process haha. I really do appreciate it. I think i'll sign up for the concealed carry class at the NRA next week, (unless there are other classes for cheaper offered elsewhere)

I do have one more question and this will be it! I promise...hopefully. When i was 16 or 17 i was "offroading" in my bronco II on a "road" which was "under construction" and in the center of that "road" there was a LEO waiting for me. Long story short I got charged with Trespassing and having an open container from which i took from my grammas house down the road and planned on drinking the rest of it when I got home. So the misdemeanors were Trespassing and Open container. I got the tickets and went on my way. I paid both of them immediatly following my court appearance. I was a "stupid kid" says the LEO's and that was it.

In a situation like this and trying to get a CWP, would these events prohibit me from obtaining a CWP? and this leads me to ask another question. Question #9 on page 1. "Have you ever been convicted of an offense which would be considered either a felony or misdemeanor? (include convictions of driving under the influence and/or any offense for which you were convicted as a juvenile, which would have been a felony if committed by an adult.)"

If YES would I complete part B to the best of my knowledge since i cant remember exactly which day or year i did it in.

Wow, sorry you have to read all that

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sig, that's a good question and I don't have a definitive answer for you. I would dare say thatit would have no bearing on your ability to get a CHP, but I could be totally wrong. Mike, you have any input on this? I've always understood the term "CONVICTED" to mean "in a court of law by a judge and/or jury".

Also, VA has CHP's not CWP's, as they're for Concealed Handguns only, not Concealed Weapons such as knives and the such.

VAopencarry

imported post

"Have you ever been convicted of an offense which would be considered either a felony or misdemeanor? (include convictions of driving under the influence and/or any offense for which you were convicted as a juvenile, which would have been a felony if committed by an adult.)"

Are your offenses felony's?, no.

If you are not sure call the State Police and ask if you should put them on there. Or just put them on there with information to the best of your knowledge. These are not disqualifying 'crimes'.

rabbit994

imported post

Or if you have the money, maybe sitting down with a lawyer. I imagine both of those offenses are minor and would not effect your application but only a lawyer would be able to tell you for sure.