• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What if you took the shot.

DeadCenter

imported post

This was in the Culpeper paper today. I will give the link and the article.

It is for this reason a 9 stays in the nightstand.

What if these idiots (armed no less) where shot an killed by the owner of the house.

Would the owner be in the right (I guess under VA law you would be). Even if he/you were, can you imaginehow one would feel killing kids. Stupid kids.

On the other hand they did have a 357 with them. So, the were prepared to shoot if needed. Or so they thought. I would have to say if I awoke to someone in my house, someone is going down. Be it by gun or bat or both. My family is much too important to me.

http://www.starexponent.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CSE/MGArticle/CSE_MGArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149193174484

Police arrested three Culpeper boys after a concerned neighbor tipped them off to a breaking and entering.

The tip also helped officers close its investigation regarding graffiti that occurred in Yowell Meadow Park last month.

Lt. Patrick Coffey of the Culpeper Police Department said officers responded to the 500-block of Windermere Drive at 12:58 a.m. Saturday for a report of a break-in.

Their investigation revealed that several subjects entered the home through the basement armed with a handgun while the owner, 35, was asleep in his bed.

After collecting numerous electronics from inside the residence, the subjects attempted to leave through the basement door.
But a neighbor heard a suspicious noise coming from the back of the house. He went to see what the commotion was and saw the subjects leaving the basement, Coffey said.

They began to run, dropping all the electronics in the process, with the neighbor chasing behind them.

While they were running, Coffey said one of the subjects also dropped a .357-caliber revolver, which detectives are working to identify its origin and investigate its possible use in any previous crimes.

The neighbor witnessed a suspicious vehicle leaving the area and obtained a license plate number.

Coffey said the police department is thankful for the neighbor’s quick action and help in this case.

Around 10:30 that night, Coffey said Deputy Roger Jones of the Culpeper County Sheriff’s Office spotted the suspect vehicle and stopped it in town. Five juveniles were detained for further information, Coffey said.

Lt. Scott Roy, Sgt. J.C. Welch, Detective Dan Art and Officer Tim Chilton interviewed the subjects and placed charges on three of the boys.

A 16-year-old and two 15-year-olds were arrested on charges of breaking and entering, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and grand larceny.

The suspects were detained in the Coffeewood Juvenile Detention Center, Coffey said.

During the interview, Coffey said one of the 15-year-olds was also charged with vandalizing Yowell Meadow Park and two houses on Virginia Avenue.

On Jan. 27 and 28, police found profane language spray painted in Yowell Meadow Park and nearby homes on various signs, benches, bridges, trees and blacktop.

Coffey said the park graffiti also displayed the words, “Latino Riders.”

Coffey said the police investigation identified Latino Riders as a new local gang.

“The Latino Riders have not been identified as a nationally known gang,” Coffey said, “But have caused a lot of damage to Yowell Meadow Park over the past several weeks.”

Note: Sorry I thought I had the link in there when I sent this. I also cut out a few words at the beginning of the story. Should be fixed now.

DC

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think most of us would feel bad about killing a "kid" if it happened.

But I figure if that "kid" is smart enough to arm himself (i.e select a weapon intentionally), tobreak in to my house, to take my property, and to threaten my safety, he's declared he's no longer a child.

possumboy

imported post

hlh wrote:
I think even without the "castle doctrine" bill you'd been within your rights to defend yourself with deadly force simply because they were armed, and even if they weren't armed.

The current laws only protect you from criminal charges in this situation. The castle doctrine would prevent you from civil charges when the family tried to sue you for killing the "children".

ProtectMd

imported post

If someone is old enough to be tried and convicted as an adult I would imagine that makes that individual an adult. I do believe that they award the death penalty to minors in Va? (correct me if im wrong, I think thats one of the main reasons they wanted to try the maryland "snipers" in Va. is because Md is soft on juvenile crime). In either case, I am going to second the notion that if they are armed in such a way that they intend to use those weapons to possibly end my life or the life of my family I would not hesitate to take theirs. I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Also the fact that these people are a "known gang" and apparently have experience committing crimes armed... my guess is they started out small, and were working their way up to a full fledged home invasion? (B & E, burglary becomes home invasion when the ghetto swat team raids your house, and terrorizes your family and belongings). Either way I think i'll sleep with 1 eye open.

Tomahawk

imported post

Especially at night, the only living being allowed in my house without my permission is my parakeet. All others beware, entering here may result in you walking funny for a long time afterwards.