• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open or concealed?

gbentzen8

imported post

In my town in Virginia, near the now sadly defunct old timeHunter Hardware store, isa Little Italian place where one can get carry out food. I occasionally stop there to shut up my starvingteenage daughter. The place is a carry out sandwich bar and little market, but italso has a contiguous restaurant that isfor sit down diners that serves alcohol. I know this is a dumb question and that we should err on the side of caution with our CC permits....and I do....but geez oh peezzo, I feel like I'm in a market with a seperate sandwich baroperation and would prefer to carry concealed, but I guess this set up still requires open carry. I have to say that if I was a newbie andI just walked in and wasn't aware that the restaurant portion was there and served alcohol, I'd think I was perfectly legal with my CC permit. I mean this placeis stealth.But hey, Red Hot and Blue and Chipotle caught me unaware several moons back too,and had mequicklyreturning to myJeep to store a couple of guns.I've had this problem travelingtoo, whileat a breakfast place. After I placed my breakfast order I noticed the table sign re. winethat theyserved only at dinner time, so I excused myself and headed outside for stowage. THE RESTAURANT BAN HAS GOT TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MamaLiberty

imported post

THE RESTAURANT BAN HAS GOT TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't it go away a lot faster if we just quit patronizing these places? As long as we are willing to disarm and become sitting ducks to satisfy their little fetish, the situation is not going to change.

I won't go into any business posted against my firearms, or restricted by some irrational "law." I make sure they understand the reason they lost my business too. Business owners can have a real influence on the "laws" if they are hurt in the pocket enough.

I am NOT a victim, and I'm not about to let anyone turn me into one. :cuss:
Why play their game? ML

ne1

imported post

MamaLiberty, I think you've got it right. Eventually the dollar is the only thing that businesses, and many politicians,understand.

cs9c1

imported post

ne1 wrote:
MamaLiberty, I think you've got it right. Eventually the dollar is the only thing that businesses, and many politicians,understand.
As nice as it sound, I don't believe we have the membership numbers to effect the opinions of many businesses. Especially if you don't inform the business why you are taking your money somewhere else (I like doing that:D)

psmartin

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
ne1 wrote:
As nice as it sound, I don't believe we have the membership numbers to effect the opinions of many businesses. Especially if you don't inform the business why you are taking your money somewhere else (I like doing that:D)

I must agree with you on this, I can't see anyone caring about it in the food-service industry

The "sheeple" are everywhere, "sheeple" outnumber citizens 10 to 1... Who's business do you want to loose?

The law itself doesn't really make any sense, and that's why I think only a legislative angle from the VCDL has any chance of changing the law.

If I was to apply "logic"(doesn't always follow the law!), restaurants w/ alcohol would be taken off the CHP exceptions and everyone else would have to OC.

I'd like the change the world... Computers & Food for children in Africa, Affordable Health Care, Soccer Mom's not fearing a holstered Glock like it's a Bazooka aimed at their flock.. But "you can't fix stupid" (Isn't that Bill Engval or Jeff Foxworthy?? -- So true)

Tomahawk

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:

Wouldn't it go away a lot faster if we just quit patronizing these places? As long as we are willing to disarm and become sitting ducks to satisfy their little fetish, the situation is not going to change.

I won't go into any business posted against my firearms, or restricted by some irrational "law." I make sure they understand the reason they lost my business too. Business owners can have a real influence on the "laws" if they are hurt in the pocket enough.

I am NOT a victim, and I'm not about to let anyone turn me into one. :cuss:
Why play their game? ML

The comment about a boycot not having much effect is right, and MamaL, there is a silver lining to the cloud of VA's CC ban in restaurants: open-carry has become normal and acceptable to many VA gunowners, and it even led Mike to start this website. I almost hope the ban stays for that reason (okay, not really).

When antis give us lemons, we just make lemonade.

And then squirt it in their eyes.

ne1

imported post

Could be true that such businesses don't miss me, but I do not miss THEM either and I still have the money that I might have spent there. I also have the freedom that I might have lost there. What you do with your money and freedom (and your wool)is your business.

MamaLiberty

imported post

ne1 wrote:
Could be true that such businesses don't miss me, but I do not miss THEM either and I still have the money that I might have spent there. I also have the freedom that I might have lost there. What you do with your money and freedom (and your wool)is your business.
I must agree with you on this, I can't see anyone caring about it in the food-service industry

The "sheeple" are everywhere, "sheeple" outnumber citizens 10 to 1... Who's business do you want to loose?

I don't know much about Virginia, but I do know we were almost totally disarmed in California where I came from. There was no hope of teaching the "sheep" there about self defense or much else - so I moved to a place where self defense and self responsibility is not only accepted, but the norm.

Don't try to change the sheep. Go somewhere there aren't so many of them!!

Trust me, there arn't many businesses in Wyoming that post against guns - with a possible exception in the more liberal saturated places like Cheyenne. But even there, the weight of the general population is supportive of our rights, not against us.

I carry EVERYWHERE I go here, the only exception being the few times I must enter the enemy territory of the Federal Post Office. If my guns are not welcome, neither am I - and I would have no problem making that plain. It just hasn't come up yet. :) ML

gbentzen8

imported post

Mamaliberty, I agree completely re. not patronizing places that post "no guns", but in this case there isn't a posted prohibition, rather it is Va State law that precludes concealed carry in places that serve alcohol.

To elaborate, there are no stand alone bars in Va that I'm aware of, rather bars are placed in eating establishments. Further,I believe that these eating establishments must derive a certain percentage of their biz from food vs booze. As a result, most sit down restaurants serve alcohol at the dining tableand have a seperate bar area as part of the biz establishment. Alcohol is the high profit margin.

To boycott would basically mean eating at fast food restaurants exclusively ...and mama ain't gonna like that. The only answer at this point is open carry, which allows guns around booze, which is no different than concealed carry re. proximity of firearms. So once again a stupid stipulation in the law.

ne1

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:

Business owners can have a real influence on the "laws" if they are hurt in the pocket enough.
There are many businesses that hardly noticed my individual dollar being spent elsewhere- where are those businesses today? ATT, KMart, Montgomery Ward, and ChiChis tocite a few formerly big names. I do not claim credit for their downfall but I merely point out that meeting consumer needs and responding to market forces is an ever present challenge to managers of such enterprises. WeThePeople need to let them know what our needs are.

MamaLiberty

imported post

meeting consumer needs and responding to market forces is an ever present challenge to managers of such enterprises. WeThePeople need to let them know what our needs are.

Exactly! If everyone says, "My one dollar won't make any difference..." then no difference is ever made. If we vote with our feet and wallets, and take the trouble to educate both busniess and our fellow citizens about it, we CAN make that difference.

Private businesses will respond faster in changing their own policies, but don't discount the fact that even small business can eventually have an influence on government - along with everyone else.

But the most important part of this is voting with our feet, I think. Why would anyone want to live in a place that significantly restricts their right to self defense, no matter how "good" or inane the "laws" were? If even a small percentage of the self-responsible gun owners just up and moved out of the state, do you think nobody would notice? ML

gbentzen8

imported post

ne1.......I go out of my way to boycott 2nd Amendment denying businesses my business. I too have noted the decline of certain businesses that just so happen to support gun control. Here in the DC Metro area a Home Depot style chain called Hechingers was a big outfit. The founder became a big publicanti gunner. Hechingers is out of business. Converse shoes Co. hasseen better times. Levi's brand does not adorn my body anymore and they have also seen better times(not just due to me of course). Sara Lee and Hallmark can pound sand. However, I'm not going to pull my kids out of school or boycott my church just because Va State law restricts firearms. At least in restaurants one can choose to open carry legally.

MamaLiberty. Overall, Virginia is a gun friendly state compared to most. I used to work in DC...talk about a nightmare place for gunowners. Maryland is next door and it isn't a whole lot better. I would never move to a "blue" state or a gunowner unfriendly state. Those two usually coincide. Thank goodness the Virginia Citizens Defense League is an active organization here in Va. An amazing group of dedicated Americans. I need to do moreto support the org.

gbentzen8

imported post

Aye laddie I'm talkin' C'ville. Don't they make keys in McLean?....it ain't that fancy, is it?

Hunter Hardware closed and I'm still in mourning. Lowes and Home Depot are great for what they do, but a local old timey hardware storewas a treasure. They owner had the big H and checked out. His offspring just didn't have the juice to continue, although they are saddened, as well, by the loss of him and the store.