• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police state enthusiasts come out of the woodwork for HB 2943!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This set of comments intrigued me no end.

I note this bill is supported by all kinds of police officers' associations, and police, just like the police station bill is supported by Fairfax County police. I'm beginning to wonder why we continue to rely on police departments that want to take away the liberties of the law-abiding in order to protect themselves against the bad guys.

Where I grew up, police were there to protect US. They were concerned for their own safety in relation to the greater good, not to place themselves in protective cocoons.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

This bill was quashed today by the Senate Courts of Justice Committee - lopsided vote, Sens Stolle, Rerras, and Cucinnelli ALL voting correctly to kill the bill.:cool:

Discussion was good - the committee did NOT buy the fake drama over the VA SC's Moore decision.

GOOD WORK OCDO members!

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Delegate Millerlost today in the Courts of Justice committee of the Senate. His "I can search you for not wearing your seatbelt" bill was defeated and is now dead, even after the Fraternal Order of Police, Va Att General,multiple commonwealth's attorneys, and several police chiefs testified in favor of it! The House had voted 74-23 in favor, but it is now dead for this session.

I testified against the bill, apparently frustratingone of thecommonwealth attorneys, who followed me out of the Senate Conference Room A to be testy - he wanted me to know he did understand existing law (I had said: "Hi. I'm ___ ___ from Henrico, and just because many police officers and some Commonwelath's Attorneys failed to understand existing Virginia law and had to be corrected by a unanimous Virginia Supreme Court is not a reason to change the law".) Histone was of controlled anger, and I was flustered by his approach, so all I could think to say is "the bottom line is that you need to educate your people. You lost unanimously in the Supreme Court, and you lost again today. Please educate your people", then I walked away.

rebfan

imported post

Miller is also a member of the VCDL. His bill was more concerned with illegal immigration. Which is huge problem in Northern VA, and in particular Prince William County, where Miller was an officer. Maybe I am biased, since I know Miller personally, but I can say without reservation he is a fine gentleman, and is exactly the type of politician we need more of here in VA.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Thank you, RebFan, and I apologize if in anywaymy post aboveoffended those who know and supportDel. Miller. I simply thinkthe good delegatewas wrong in this case, that's all. From your post, it sounds like I probably agree with Del. Miller about most things.My frustration witha sore loserCommonwealth Attorney trying to get his 2 cents in shouldn't be taken against Del. Miller, who must be a fine gentleman if he is a member of the VCDL.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

Does he know that he is a certified AssClown?

rebfan

imported post

Sic,

None taken. I know this bill has been an issue over the last couple of days, and I really don't want to rehash it all. I just wanted to put in a good word for Jackson, as I know he views on guns and personal liberties, and I believe he would not do anything intentionally to harm either of those.

And to Desertdoc, I'm sure he knows he is a member know after what happened in Manassas. The best part is that he was a Manassas City Council member before winning his Delegate race. He was by far the most outspoken member of the board and stood his ground on many issues, even if those views were not well liked by fellow Council members or Citizens.

I tell you if the GA was full of Jackson Millers, we would be far better off.