• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry A Subgun in VA?

30 cal slut

imported post

*chuckles*

in my state i can legally carry (concealed) a submachine gun, because it just happens to be a fully automatic handgun. (of course I'm ATF approved).

has anyone open carried an SMG in VA?

that's pushing the envelope a bit, might be a tad obnoxious too ... but i love to push the envelope.

parashoot man

imported post

Being on the North side of the Potomac , and having a Permit to carry from the "Not so Free State",Beleve it or not, I can carry a subgun with my permit!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think you couldn't carry a fully automatic pistol or other machinegun in VA. The Virginia machinegun statute prohibits using a MG for offensive purposes.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-291
§ 18.2-291. What constitutes aggressive purpose.
Possession or use of a machine gun shall be presumed to be for an offensive or aggressive purpose:
(1) When the machine gun is on premises not owned or rented for bona fide permanent residence or business occupancy by the person in whose possession the machine gun may be found;
(2) When the machine gun is in the possession of, or used by, a person who has been convicted of a crime of violence in any court of record, state or federal, of the United States of America, its territories or insular possessions;
(3) When the machine gun has not been registered as required in § 18.2-295; or
(4) When empty or loaded shells which have been or are susceptible of use in the machine gun are found in the immediate vicinity thereof.
18.2-293.1 Allows you to transport a weapon to the range. However I would think defensive carry would be seen as an aggressive purpose but YMMV.
§ 18.2-293.1. What article does not prohibit.
Nothing contained in this article shall prohibit or interfere with:
(1) The possession of a machine gun for scientific purposes, or the possession of a machine gun not usable as a weapon and possessed as a curiosity, ornament, or keepsake; and
(2) The possession of a machine gun for a purpose manifestly not aggressive or offensive.
Provided, however, that possession of such machine guns shall be subject to the provisions of § 18.2-295.