• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charlottesville, Monticello, UVa questions.

Wiley

imported post

New poster here with a couple of questions. I live in GA and I have to come up to Monticello. As VA does not recoginize GA I am left with open carry or a non-re$ident permit (working on a UT as it is the least expensive).

Can someone tell me if Monticello prohibits open carry.

What restrictions are there in and about UVa?

Anything else to look out for.

TIA

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

As a non-student, you are fine on UVA property. I can't promise you, of course, that you won't be hassled a bit. But you certainly can't lawfullybe arrested or detained solely for open carrying, and only recently the Attorney General issued an opinion noting that public colleges and universities in Virginia do not have the authority to prohibit licensed concealed carry nor open carry (with only a few, narrow, slightly ambiguous exceptions - none of which could be construed by even antis to include simply walking around the gorgeous campus).

Someone else will have to share their wisdom as for Monticello.

I have walked around the JMU campus openly carrying a .357 without a problem, a couple times now.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Monticello website is http://www.monticello.org/
Didn't see anything there regarding "no weapons" but they may check bags over a certain size.

I was under the impression that it was a National Park site, which would mean no carry, open or CC, but the website does not mention the Park Service at all, so I could be wrong on that.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Per http://www.monticello.org/about/foundation.html , Monticello is not a US or VA park but is privately owned.

Incorporated in 1923, after the federal government waived its third opportunity to acquire Monticello for the nation, the Foundation purchased the house and land from the Levy family, stewards of the estate for 89 years. As a private, nonprofit organization, the Foundation receives no regular federal or state budget support for its twofold mission of preservation and education.

vt357

imported post

Here is a link to the Attorney General's opinion. You may want to print it off and have it with you - in case you run into some uninformed sheep.

http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/OP-05-078.pdf

One of the exceptions that you may run into is sporting events - I wouldn't expect to be able to see a basketball game while OCing. But walking around campus you will be fine.

Wiley

imported post

Thanks for the responses folks. I apologise for not being clearer.

As rlh2005posted Monticello is privately owned by 'The Thomas Jefferson Foundation'. With one exception: The graveyard where Jefferson (and lineal descendants) are buried. It is owned and maintained by 'The Monticello Association'. It is the family graveyard.

My Motherdiedover Labor Day weekend. She was a descendant of Jefferson (as am I) and will be interred in the graveyard when Igo up in May.

I was hoping that someone hadOC'd at Monticello and could tell me howthe it was received. And if I could be told to leave.

My UVA question was more about going into buildings as I thought just wandering around campuswould beOK. The annual meeting of The Monticello Association will be in Alumni Hall which I assume is on or part of the campus. Again personal experience would be helpfull.

vt357, I have dl'd and will print the AG's opinion. Thanks!

67GT390FB

imported post

Wiley wrote:
Thanks for the responses folks. I apologise for not being clearer.

As rlh2005posted Monticello is privately owned by 'The Thomas Jefferson Foundation'. With one exception: The graveyard where Jefferson (and lineal descendants) are buried. It is owned and maintained by 'The Monticello Association'. It is the family graveyard.

My Motherdiedover Labor Day weekend. She was a descendant of Jefferson (as am I) and will be interred in the graveyard when Igo up in May.

I was hoping that someone hadOC'd at Monticello and could tell me howthe it was received. And if I could be told to leave.

My UVA question was more about going into buildings as I thought just wandering around campuswould beOK. The annual meeting of The Monticello Association will be in Alumni Hall which I assume is on or part of the campus. Again personal experience would be helpfull.

vt357, I have dl'd and will print the AG's opinion. Thanks!
I can tell you that Alumni Hall is part of the University. I lived in the dorms next to it for 3 years and got plenty of parking tickets there. It's directly across the street from Memorial Gymnasium and within sight of the Newcombe Hall Bookstore/Parking Garage. As to the open carry/concealed carry i really can't help as I know as a studentit is against policy.

jbobmurph

imported post

The school CAN'T forbid you from carrying on campus, since you're not a student. (Nor can they forbid you from carrying at a school sporting event of any kind).

Perhaps, given that vt357 is in Richmond, he had issues at a VCU event? (VCU is specifically mentioned in the law authorizing carry as off-limits...)

Monticello could presumably take issue with your carrying on the grounds; someone else will have to address that (though I think it'd be a pretty rotten volunteer tour guide that would kick you out of your mother's funeral.)

Just my $.02.

And of course, my condolensces for the loss of your mother.

hirundo82

imported post

jbobmurph wrote:
The school CAN'T forbid you from carrying on campus, since you're not a student. (Nor can they forbid you from carrying at a school sporting event of any kind).

Actually, the Attorney General's 2004 opinion does not prevent colleges from prohibiting everyone from carrying under certain (unspecified) conditions:
It is my opinion that the safe operation of the campus allows regulation of, or under limited circumstances, prohibition of, firearms by any persons attending events on campus, visiting dormitories or classroom buildings, attending specific events as invitees, or under any circumstance permitted by law.

In my opinion, and those of many others, the AG overstepped his authority there and made on overly broad prohibition. Hopefully this can be rectified in the future by the General Assembly.

vt357

imported post

jbobmurph wrote:
Perhaps, given that vt357 is in Richmond, he had issues at a VCU event? (VCU is specifically mentioned in the law authorizing carry as off-limits...)
Well I have never tried to open carry at VCU because of the state code against it. I know that Virginia Tech prohibits firearms at football games - apparently one of those "limited circumstances."

Wiley

imported post

Thanks all for your thoughts. The point may be moot since the VASP just sent a letter saying they had cashed my money order. So, I hope they are processing my non-resident app.

muzz3256

imported post

I know that this is an old post, but I'm curious, did you ever try to OC at Monticello? I don't go up there much, as I believe that the Thomas Jefferson Foundation has WAY too much power and influence in the area, but curious to see if they reacted, taking in mind that TJ appeared to be pro gun.