• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An unknown man walked into my house today...

IanB

imported post

I was on my cellphone with my mom this afternoon and decided to go outside to smoke a cigarette as she's long winded and our chats can last up to 2-3 hours (I don't get to speak to her very often so our calls are long). After the smoke was over, I went back inside but didn't lock the front door as I was planning to smoke another after a snack/lunch. I remained in the downstairs level fixing and eating lunch during the phone call with my mom. At this time I noticed a Hispanic male standing on my porch. He was dressed in a "thuggish" manner (doo rag on head, black leather Harley jacket, combat boots, and what I would describe as "prison tattoos" on his hands (Jacket covered most of his upper body) I've seen programs on TV about tattoos and his had spiders and spider webs which have some meaning in prison but I can't recall what.) He did not see me; he had his back to the window and was on a cellphone. While you might think this was strange, I have Hispanic neighbors next door and there is a constant flow of "residents" living there. At times they have been seen on our property (while on a cellphone as well) and I assume they just want to make a phone call in privacy as their house is packed with people all the time (That's gotta be a code violation). I already had my Sig on my hip (carry it all day every day unless I'm at work) so I sat down in the living room to continue my phone call and eat my lunch where I could keep an eye on the front porch. 15 minutes later (he was on my porch the whole time talking on his cellphone) the Hispanic man opens my front door and walks right in! I immediately unholster my Sig (gotta love Serpa Holsters!) and point it at his feet and in a loud voice say "WTF are you doing? Do you live here?" I'm 10 feet from him and there is a couch between us. He freezes in his tracks and looks like he's about to faint! He stutters a bit and says that he is here "looking for Jason". He has a business card in his hand which he holds up in front of him and he says "I come for Jason at this address, he tell me to come over and say to walk inside". I tell him to toss the card my way and he does. The card is indeed legit, it's professionally made and has the correct address on it for an in-home business with the same house number as my own but different street names (We've dealt with lost folks looking for this "in-home" business in the past, the street they are looking for is 75 feet away from my front door which leads to the confusion.) I quickly realize the guy is telling to truth and has the wrong address (happens frequently here). I walk over to him to hand him the card back while keeping the Sig at ready (mistake or not, he is an intruder in my house as I see it). He could barely accept the card from me he was shaking so bad. I explain he's made a mistake and is at the wrong address and he apologizes and turns around to leave. I went to the door and told him which way to drive for the address while holstering my weapon. The whole time my mom has been hearing this on her end of the cell phone and she's hysterical when I get back on with her. After calming her down and ending our call I went over what went right and what went wrong.

Wrong:
I left the front door unlocked after my smoke (won't happen again!)
I didn't call the police to tell them I drew down on someone in my house in case he called in the incident (I'm sure he was an illegal so he wasn't going to do that)

Right:
I saw him on my property prior to entry and was aware of his presence
He was not aware of my presence until he opened the door
I was armed and ready to deal with the situation
I was able to understand his mistake rather quickly and stand down

To further clarify, I live in a townhome, the public sidewalk out front is the same slab of concrete as my front porch. Only 2 concrete steps separate my porch from the sidewalk. That is why seeing strange people out front is not uncommon.

Keep your doors locked at all times!!!

housefront.jpg

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Nice.

You may have created a new market for adult diapers.

As far as events you describe are concerned, I believe you reacted in a reasonable fashion- And accidentally leaving the door unlocked isnt something we really think about while most people are at home. Your tip is spot on.

It was about four or five years ago, that I arrived at my residence after darkto see a vehicle parked in my driveway that I wasnt familiar with. I exited my vehicle, leaving the brights on, seeing movement on the porch, I drew my weapon to a two-hand ready position, and shouted, "Who's there?"

As it turned out, it was an ex-coworker, a friend of mine, fresh from Las Vegas, camped out on my porch waiting for me to come home. Stuff like this is always a gut check, an opportunity to review your gun handling discipline, situational awareness, and ability to command a situation.

HerbM

imported post

I think you did fine, yet I have one suggestion for your consideration:

We (my wife or I) would have called our local police non-emergency number and reported it.

Despite the "business card" and the other times people have mistaken your home for that other "business" this could just as easily have been a way for a burglar to cover his entry.

If the police know -- and have a record they can monitor your neighborhood for this type of scam. Also, this "business" may be a drug house or something that they should be watching anyway.

Having suggested this -- I probably should add that we have a "community policeman" assigned to us; he ENCOURAGES such reports and takes them seriously without going dramatic over a simple "we though you would want to know"-report.

He will stop buy; take all the info without overreacting OR blowing us off.

--
Herb

MarinesWife

imported post

HerbM wrote:
Despite the "business card" and the other times people have mistaken your home for that other "business" this could just as easily have been a way for a burglar to cover his entry.
That's actually a good point. I mean it could have been a possibility that he was just covering his tracks. Might have found the card some where, but then again you never truely know. So it would most likely be wise to report the incident, not just to let them know but also so maybe people will stop coming to your house by mistake.

xpun8

imported post

Herb, that's amazing (community cop). We have cops assigned to schools, not neighborhoods. Our force here is generally easy to get along with and doesn't blow us off.

We had a visitor (unwelcome) @0045, he saw my weapon (it was at the ready) through the storm door, he was visibly impaired (drugs/alcohol), he left my porch after apologizing and went down my driveway about halfway (60') and stood there marveling at the stars or something. I call 911, let them know the situation. The first squad car arrived and he bolted up my driveway, I'm still on with 911, I inform them about the motor home, open garage, and chain link fence w/ dog. 2 more cars arrive, duty sargent onsite. 911 asks me to talk to him, I tell her what I'm wearing, walk out and start telling him what all happened. All of the sudden he gets a call on the radio and bolts. <DUMB MOVE> I hear female officer at the top of her lungs "Get the F*** on the ground!!!" some other yelling...sounds like the got him I want to see what's going on. I'm still holding my phone, another car comes tearing up my driveway, I'm not sure if the car even stopped before the officer was out, drawn and charging my general direction, telling me to get the F*** down, ok I'm in my freaking PJ's but I'll get down, he tackled me then let me speak. I told him the BG is in cuffs around the corner. He appologized profusely, I understood, I was not in the right place blah blah blah</DUMB MOVE> We all lived to tell about it.

The BG had 2 felony warrants-armed robbery and burglery.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

xpun8 wrote:
... <DUMB MOVE> ...I want to see what's going on. I'm still holding my phone... ...</DUMB MOVE>
At least you didn't haveyour gunon you at that moment.

HerbM

imported post

I found out about the community cop when I made a (probably trivial) report and he showed up, business card with personal phone AND email address.

What happened was pretty mundane, almost didn't call. Woman comes to the door claming to be a "census worker" asking about our "across the street neighbors" -- I don't know the people there so knew nothing to tell her, but she didn't have a picture ID, just some funky thing. She apologies and claims that the Census doesn't provide their contract workers with real id cards.

So I close the door and call 311 (not 911) and tell them this is no emergency but they might want to know in case someone is "casing houses" this way. Just because the "census taker" is a middle aged ordinary looking woman doesn't mean she isn't a burglar or scouting for the real bad guys.

Two cars show up -- very nice -- ask me more questions than I can actually answer. Of course I have no idea what color slacks the woman was wearing because she really never set off my warning radar except that badge thing which is pretty much when I said "bye" and closed the door.

Anyway, this allowed me to meet and get the business card from a cop who cares about us -- or who is at least a world class actor :D

Our community cop was in the first car -- and he sent the younger guy in the second car to sweep the neighborhood while he and I talked.

--
Herb

IanB

imported post

I agree on calling the cops, I didn't only because this happened in my own home and I couldn't get in trouble like if this had happened out in public. If the cops showed up and asked any questions I'd tell them what happened and since I was in my own house, my actions were fine.

The card is indeed legit, previous to this encounter I had heard from other neighbors that have experienced the same thing. I contacted the HOA and they are dealing with that individual now (illegal to run business out of home in the HOA agreement as well as against Ffx Co. code according to HOA board member)

I wish we had community cops like what Herb describes. Here in Ffx Co they are much to busy to get very involved in the community, at least from my point of view... but I may be wrong.