• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Dakota Newpaper= CCW searchable database!!!

VAopencarry

imported post

This just blows my mind. The largest newspaper in SD, has a searchable database of CCW permit holders in the state. Seems the legislature passed a law sealing the names. The paper got all the names before they were sealed and now are asking people to search the database and let them know if they see a name on there and think the person shouldn't be allowed to have a CCW. This is insane!!!

The link to this is right in the middle of the front 'page' of their website. The link provided is directly to the page. There is a link for 'comments' at the bottom. :cuss::cuss::banghead:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=DATABASE01

AbsolutZer0

imported post

This is the kind of crap the gun grabbers will do.

I am tired of "the rules" and playing it by the system, The system has failed us all. The system has turned into the enemy.

At least on the comment page you see some intelligence.

acrimsontide

imported post

Another example of the media "doing a public service". It is ridiculous for the media to post this information. Maybe they should post a list of everyone who owns a Rolex or expensive diamond so they can make it easier for the burglars!!!

I live in Alabama but know two of the people on the list and they are fine upstanding citizens. In fact they are executives at Dakota Arms, manufacturers of fine hunting rifles as well as some fine police tactical sniper rifles. You think these people might have been pretty well cleared of criminal activity? I would think they pose absolutely NO THREAT by having a handgun permit!!!!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That is absolutely pathetic!! Had the idiot that wrote the article and/or put that crap together had a clue as to the requirements or the law read, they would realize that in America one is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. That's whymost permit applications ask if you have ever been CONVICTED, not just merely accused.

Not like this isanything new,the Fifth Estate has appointed itself as the voice of reason in Amerika, and if you're mere accused, the media will crucify you and you're guilty until proven innocent.

Pretty soon, only cops will have guns and only lawyers will be able to practice law.

Wait a sec.....uh oh!!!

ProguninTN

imported post

Hmm, I guess the right to privacy doesn't always apply. :cuss::X Maybe some people should start open carrying in the vicinity of this paper's offices. With their database, they all ready know who's allowed to pack, so what difference does it make if they carry openly or concealed ? (They can't say open carry is frightening when they already know about the guns.) Maybe I'm just a smart alleck.;)

ProguninTN

gsh341

imported post

Yeah, I saw it. My name is in there too. Many of the people on the list are rightly upset about it as well. However, they obtained the list they have from the state before the list was sealed, so they can legally show it. Anyone that has obtained a permit AFTER the date the list was sealed does not and will not appear on that list.

What the Argus LIAR doesn't comprehend is that the permit holders have been screened and had background checks done by the sheriff of the county they reside in and ALL are eligible to carry. Then the state senators decided that this list should be sealed to protect the confidentiality of the permit holders.

The Argus LIAR then decided that this list should be "rescued" and prominently displayed on their website to let people find permit holders names and report those they felt were not worthy of a concealed pistol permit to the sheriff so they might get those permits revoked.

What a bunch of jerk-wads!:cuss:

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gsh341 wrote:
Yeah, I saw it. My name is in there too. Many of the people on the list are rightly upset about it as well. However, they obtained the list they have from the state before the list was sealed, so they can legally show it. Anyone that has obtained a permit AFTER the date the list was sealed does not and will not appear on that list.

What the Argus LIAR doesn't comprehend is that the permit holders have been screened and had background checks done by the sheriff of the county they reside in and ALL are eligible to carry. Then the state senators decided that this list should be sealed to protect the confidentiality of the permit holders.

The Argus LIAR then decided that this list should be "rescued" and prominently displayed on their website to let people find permit holders names and report those they felt were not worthy of a concealed pistol permit to the sheriff so they might get those permits revoked.

What a bunch of jerk-wads!:cuss:
GSH341...You're a bad, wicked man for having a concealed weapon permit! Shame on you!!!

(There...now you can sue them for causing you to be embarassed and humiliated!)

Wiley

imported post

The Cleveland Plain Dealer and other Ohio rags did much the same thing when the Ohio concealed carry was passed.

The publisher's and editor's names, home phone numbers, addresses appeared on the internet. They, for some unfathomable reason, were upset by it.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wiley wrote:
The Cleveland Plain Dealer and other Ohio rags did much the same thing when the Ohio concealed carry was passed.

The publisher's and editor's names, home phone numbers, addresses appeared on the internet. They, for some unfathomable reason, were upset by it.
You know, technically, you can get their addresses from public tax records available at the county office!! Oh, and tax returns are public info too....

robertnmjr

imported post

sounds like they may have broken some privacy act laws. does the list just give out the names or does it give out all the persons information. by giving out the names of the people with ccw's it could get one of the permit holders hurt, by letting the criminals know who has a permit. they should be suied or have litigation brought on them to have the data base removed and destroyed. and be accountable for any one that gets hurt because of it.