• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handy Reference! (maybe?)

BlueJ

imported post

Hi Everyone,

Ifinally signed up, and thought of something to post. But first, I want tointroduce myselfto everyone. I am a 24 year old male, stationed at LAFB. Ihave livedin the areafor the past 3 years. I (now) carry a mil-spec 1911, and plan to every chance I get. Anyone interested in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is a friendof mine. I might be described as a bit of a survivalist (not an extremist) but I figure it's better to have and not need, than need and not have, something that most armed citizens can certainly agree with. As one of my favorite quotesputs it" Failure to Prepare is Preparing to Fail." But, enough about me for now. I look forward to meeting some fellow OC'ers in the Tidewater area, I will be attending the next local OC dining out if my schedulepermits.I have been convincing one of my local buddies to start OC'ing so there might be (at least) 2 new guys at the next meeting! On to business...

The real reason I am finally posted is, today was my first day OC'ing (Wal-mart in Hampton and Top's China on Armistead)in public, andI admit that I did feel a little nervous about not having any "hard proof" for nay-sayers. That is why Idecided tocreatea one pagesummary (read: cheat sheet)of Virginia's Gun Laws that I can carry in my pocket. I would appreciate if someone could review this and make sure that it has correct/current information; or recommend if it is even a good idea to carry something like this around or distribute it (liabilty?). I don't intend to use this as a legal basis for my actions or anything of the sort; nor do I advocate anyone else doing so (I am FAR from a Lawyer). Rather I see it as something to give to an individual that is interested in OC, but ignorant (like me up until recently...and I have lived here for 3 years now!) as to their Rights. There might be something like this posted elsewhere, but I browsed around for 2 days and didn't see anything that really explained everything in a nutshell. If anyone thinks that the information is worthwhile, please feel free to use it for yourself as well. I have a copy in my pocket right now. Anyways, I don't want to make my first post too long-winded. Looking forward to hearing from and meeting fellow liberty lovers in the area!

The summary is attached as a word document (lost it's formatting when pasted)

Attachments

• Virginia Gun Law.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 170

SIGarmed229

imported post

Welcome aboard Blue J!

You will find great people on this discussion forum and many of them former military such as myself (Marine). A little about myself. Just turned 21 on Feb 3rd and a few days later I purchased a SIG 229 in .40 which I carry just about everywhere. At first I was nervous about OCing as you were but the worry goes away the more often you do it. I started by going to gas stations, fast food, 7-11's those types of places before I started going to larger facilities. I am married and my wife is also on this forum under the name of marinewife. We are trying to find the "perfect pistol" for her which is becoming quite difficult as she is quite picky. Anyways, enjoy the forum and OCing, carry on!

D

Desertdoc

imported post

From the Tidewater area I would like to send a warm welcome. The next dinner is on Wednesday the 21st. See the Tidewater get together thread for the place and time. We always look forward to seeing new faces. Our open carry dinners have grown from 4 people to a high number of 18. It seems like every month we have a new high number to beat.

Wchief

imported post

Thanks for the reference man.I justbecame a member,thanks to BlueJ. I just recently purchased a Glock 21 and I have yet to OC. After reading some of the threads and the reference that BlueJ gave me, I feel much better about excersising my right to OC.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nice summary. The only thing I would add is the dates each of the major events happend (preemption, OAG, etc). That would come in handy when talking to someone who thinks they know the gun laws better than you but hasn't really looked at them since they took the original class to get their CHP

I work with someone that carries verry occasionally (range and road trips) who thinks they know everything, but doesn't stay current. A quick date reference could help when talking to people like this. Makes them realize how out of date they are.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I took it and beefed it up and made this. Whadya think?

I deleted the attachment here. To facilitate changes to only ONE document, I'll only update the document that's attached to the first post in this new thread --> http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1621.html

Enjoy and if you find anything wrong or you think should be added, let me know so I can update the whole document and we can all benefit!

72Malibu

imported post

Welcome Blue J! Your personal views ("survivalist") in your first paragraph are synonymous with my own. I don't intend to rely on anybody but myself to ensure the safety and welfare of my family and myself. That's one of the many reasons why I carry (99.9% concealsd) and have proudly done so since I purchased my first handgun (2nd gen Glock 19) and applied for my CCW the same month as my 21st b-day (I'm 28 btw). Not being able to carry while I lived in the People's Republik of Kalifornia for 2 years was unsettling, but I'm in VA now and happy to be here.

Oh, I personally have never been in the service nor have I been in law enforcement. I grew up with guns and my father taught me well. BUT, I want to thank all of you, current and veteran soldiers and LEOs for your service and commitment to ensuring our safety and liberty. Although I feel unworthy in the presence of you, I'm honored to be enthusiasts along side you. :)

Anyways, enough with the mushy stuff. Welcome and thanks for the reference!