• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I get the OC VA law code?

jimboner

imported post

Does anyone know the link or text for the VA law-code that states that you can open carry in VA at the age of 18? I wanted to come down from MD to VA and open carry. I would like to have a little print out handy in my wallet just in case something happens. Does this sound stupid?

jimwyant

imported post

No such law exists. Laws tell us what we can't do, not what we can do. If there is no law prohibiting a particular behavior, then it is legal.

Edited to add: Welcome to OCDO, by the way!

jimboner

imported post

Thanks guys, its just messed up that I have to consider running into cops in VA that dont know their own rights and laws...

While at it, whats the law for having a pistol in the car? Can it be on you? Does it have to be in open view?

jimwyant

imported post

jimboner wrote:
While at it, whats the law for having a pistol in the car? Can it be on you? Does it have to be in open view?
Unlike many states, there are no special rules for carry inside a vehicle. The same laws that apply outside the vehicle apply inside the vehicle. In other words, open carry is completely legal.

The only question is what is concealed, and what is not. Walking down the street, a firearm in a traditional hip holster not covered by clothing is not concealed. However, depending on the LEO, it could be argued that by entering a car and fastening your seat belt, you have effectively concealed the weapon, since the seat belt obscures it "from common observation" and thereby need a permit to be legal. You could put the weapon on the seat beside you, or on the dashboard, but neither option is secure, and it could easily slide out of reach. You could put it in the glove box, thereby removing it from "about your person" as stated in the law, but that also makes it less accessible should you need it in a hurry. Use common sense, and try to be creative until you're 21 and can get the permit.

Exemplar

imported post

go to the va state police site then firearms then transporting firearms through va and on the last paragraph it says you dont need a permit to carry openly print that page.

Exemplar

imported post

if u get stopped put it on the dash that way the cop will see it when he checks ur inspection sticker. If u get stopped @night turn on ur lights or he can argue it was concealed cause he couldnt see it cause it was dark.

~Èxêmplär~

vt357

imported post

I keep mine in a holster sqeezed between the passenger seat and the center console. It is very easily accessible if I need it and in plain view.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Exemplar wrote:
if u get stopped put it on the dash that way the cop will see it when he checks ur inspection sticker. If u get stopped @night turn on ur lights or he can argue it was concealed cause he couldnt see it cause it was dark.

~Èxêmplär~

Zoom6 is absolutely correct! Do not touch your firearm after a stop has been initiated! Any "concealment" provided by the seat belt should be thought out before traveling in a vehicle and can easily be avoided through proper selection of holster type and location. If you can’t prevent inadvertent concealment, acquire another holster securing it within easy reach.