Thread: please help debunk a rumor

Post imported post

Hello all,

Some help debunking a rumor if you please. I heard on the radio a couple of days ago that, "Michael Moore is an NRA life member, even though he does not agree with their politics." I am giddy at the fun-poking prospects but need some hard evidence first. I've checked snopes and googled in general but found nothing. Did anyone else hear this? Any suggestions for further inquiry?

Thanks

Post imported post

Moore purchased a life membership on Dec. 19, 2000.

Yahoo search "moore nra life member" first result.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?ID=105

Post imported post

Some info, but no confirmation. You'd have to ask the NRA, but they may not discuss the identity of their members (at least I hope not).
    In Bowling, Michael Moore brags that he is an NRA "Lifetime member." So it might be expected that Moore would inform viewers about the NRA's noble anti-slavery history. But Moore's connection to the NRA is bizarre; he told Tim Russert that he joined the group so that he could be elected its president and make it support gun control. This is aggrandized self-delusion, rather like Barbra Streisand announcing that she was becoming Catholic so that she could be elected Pope and make the Church support polygamy.
    http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Article...&issue=011
    Nowhere is that more apparent than when Moore sandbags ailing NRA President Charlton Heston; first by tricking him into thinking this would be a fair interview by a fellow NRA member, then by increasingly hostile, in-your-face questions nobody could answer. Moore says the segment was filmed in early 2001, just days after he purchased an NRA Life membership on Dec. 19, 2000.