• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

would it be legal for my mom to buy a gun for me?

jeri534

imported post

So Im 19 in Arizona right now for the past year and a half, I have a gun down here already.

But Im graduating school and flying back to WA before I have to go back down to AZ, now Ive had some money saved up and would like to get a new pistol for myself for graduation, would there be anything wrong with my mom buying a handgun and transferring it over to me?

thanks

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Depends on several different factors.

First, if your mother and yourself are residents of different states, any firearms transactions must be handled by an FFL in your state of residence. This is federal law.

Second, Giving your mother money to buy you a handgun is what we call a "straw purchase". One of the questions asked is: "Are you the actual purchaser of this gun". This is also federal law.

Third, you're in Arizona. In your state of residence, unless there is a state law prohibiting you can purchase a handgun privately, and all ammo purchases must be done privately too. You may not buy handgun ammunition at a retail establishment until you're 21. However, unlike the purchase of firearms, the purchase of ammo is not subject to the "straw purchase" rule.

kparker

imported post

Under federal law, it is perfectly legal to purchase a firearm as a gift for someone, as long as it's a bona fide gift*--but that someone still has to be legally qualified to own the firearm. Note that all the different-states stuff that Lonnie refers to still apply in this scenario. Note also that IANAL...

*This means it would be a very unwise idea to give your mother the money and pretend the purchase is a gift, in case it wasn't clear.

Jackal

imported post

I think that it depends on what you plan on using it for. Hunting would be one thing, carry another. What I mean is how would anyone know if you have any guns if you use them for what you are supposed to at your age.

X-mas morning when I was 12 has a magical even where I recieved my first assault rifle. It was for hunting and it would have been more conventional, but you couldn't beat $84 for the pre-ban SKS's.

joeroket

imported post

RCW 9.41.240 dictates Possession ofpistol by person between 18 and 21.

It says:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

Jackal

imported post

There are caviots in the law for hunting and use of firearms in exhibitions by a proper organization like taget shooting in a club.

You wouldn't be able to cruz around town, but you could carry for some things like that.