• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do cops not know the law?

jimboner

imported post

I cant believe how many stories where I have read that a person who is open carrying gets pulled over or pulled the side and then has his gun taken away or starts giving him/her some crap. For example, I have read that people get pulled to the side and then the carrier says "officer it is legal" , once this is said, cant the dang officer make a 2 second radio call and ask "is it legal to open carry in this state" and he/she shall get a yes or no answer, CASE CLOSED. So why the hell dont they do this? Instead I am reading that cops take the guns away, get ID, go back to the police car, come back after 10-20 minutes and say "yes it is legal bye".....

cs9c1

imported post

I don't know where you work, but I have been in the military for 20 years, and I am always correcting someone who is quoting regulations incorrectly. Very few people do as I do and actually say I "think" you are wrong until I actually go read the regs and get back to them. No one can possibly know all the regulations (Laws), but everyone can ask or look them up.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Cuz they have Badges and don't have to know the Law:what::cuss::banghead:. ( There will always be 1 Cop or Another that is Power Hungry)

I have had 2 different situations Here in SLC, UT.

SITUATION # 1

I was outside my own House on the street and Cop pulled up ask me why I was Carrying Open and I said "-'cuz I can." he told me to hold my hands away from the weapon.

Gave my DL Id + CCW to him and was told to sit on the curb.

Lo and be hold at this very time ALL of my neighbours have to drive by:shock:.

I was treated like a criminal.

He asked me where I lived and I pointed to the House across from where I was sitting, and he was snearing at me as if he didn't believe me. AndIstated that I've lived here for 8 years and started to ramble of all the neighbors and I saw how he all of a sudden wasn't so sure about what he was doing anymore.

His sargeant pulled up as well and I thought to myself "-Here we go".

The Cop that "pulled me over", seemed to be a rookie, came back, gave me my Id's and said "-cover up Gun since You have a CCW".

And I said "-Thank You for the vice but I can Carry Open and I called BCI and they stated that it is legal to Carry Open."

I asked if I was clear to go and he just looked at me and I walked of.

SITUATION # 2

Based on the Trolley Square incident I have thought of many ways how to improve protection in possible scenarios like this one and also be able to identify myself along with possibly assisting law enforcement. I apologize ahead if I get alot of "something" about what I am about to share.

A few nights ago my wife & I went into RC Willey in Salt Lake City located @ about 2100s & 3rd west. Thinking ahead, I know that this store is a little bit warm @ times and was wondering how I could Open Carry in there. Upon arrival I saw So SLPD vehile outside. (This store ALWAYS has an Officer @ this location for some reason).

As my wife and I walked inside, I had my coat on, I saw an RC Willey sales associate and the Officer conversing, I approached them and we exchanged "HI's".

My wife and I passed by and about 20ft away I turned around and walked back to the RC Willey sales associate and the Officer conversing, said "-Hi" again and they responded back again.

Looking @ the RC Willey sales associate I asked what the store Policy is concerning Open Carry and He just looked @ me not knowing what I was talking about.

I looked over to the Officer and he smiled
icon_biggrin.gif
and said "-That's OK. You Know the rules". He said that he saw that I CCW'd to the RC Willey sales associate. The Officer just smiled like nobodies business,I walked away with my coat in my hand
icon_biggrin.gif
. The Officer NEVER asked for DL and/or CCW id's.

As we were leaving the Officer expressed gratitude
icon_biggrin.gif
for sharing my CCW and approaching cuz as he said "-That I could be there for possible assists & easier provide my description if needed as an assistance( I guess so that I would not be shot by mistake by other LEO's ".

( I know that I UT we only need to Id CCW and DL if approach by an Officer, but I felt that this was good opportunity to work together, Obviously the Officer agreed)

I myself, feel that CCW's & LEO's should make the gap closer, and helping eachother so that unfortunate incidents like Trolley Square could have a lesser impact on people being killed.

I think LEO's should step up and tell Malls and other establishments to take down their signs or to change them so that CCW's can Carry in the Establishments.

jimboner

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
I don't know where you work, but I have been in the military for 20 years, and I am always correcting someone who is quoting regulations incorrectly. Very few people do as I do and actually say I "think" you are wrong until I actually go read the regs and get back to them. No one can possibly know all the regulations (Laws), but everyone can ask or look them up.

True, but in these situations, cant a radio call to a higher up officer or someone within their department answer the question quickly? There should be someone in the department that has to know these things or has a process of finding out quickly. I mean come on, these are the people who are law enforcers.

Lthrnck

imported post

You know all this is good stuff... but the "ONE" set of laws you think every LEO should know front to back, inside and out is... What rights the law-abiding citizen has..

Lthrnck

imported post

You know all this is good stuff... but the "ONE" set of laws you think every LEO should know front to back, inside and out is... What rights the law-abiding citizen has..when it comes to carry weapons.

Sorry about the double post, my computer burped, and did some funny stuff.

jimboner

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
You know all this is good stuff... but the "ONE" set of laws you think every LEO should know front to back, inside and out is... What rights the law-abiding citizen has..when it comes to carry weapons.

Sorry about the double post, my computer burped, and did some funny stuff.

Best post of the day :dude:

cs9c1

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
You know all this is good stuff... but the "ONE" set of laws you think every LEO should know front to back, inside and out is... What rights the law-abiding citizen has..
Have you ever seen the crazy and unreal laws on the books in some locations? As I said before, if your not sure you should ask or look it up. Law enforcement has good and bad people just like every group in society. You just have to hope they can weed out the bad ones quickly (and hold them accountable).

Lthrnck

imported post

I didnt say anything about all the different laws.... I said about one specific set of laws. A LEO's biggest fear is the gun... So you would think that they would at least know those laws like the back of their hand.

cs9c1

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
I didnt say anything about all the different laws.... I said about one specific set of laws. A LEO's biggest fear is the gun... So you would think that they would at least know those laws like the back of their hand.
I will let you know when I finish the academy.:p