• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask LEO a question

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wet_willy wrote:
Good catch, I am starting to wonder what the motives of some of these questions are.

agree'd, it seems as though poeple are trying to trip LEO just to say that he is wrong. he may or may not be a leo but he says he is, if i say i mak a 100g's a year, who can prove me wrong, i think this is gettingout of hand, i think leo is just trying to help who cares what department he works for. some poeple on here need to lighten up.

bobcav, the lighten up part is for you. read what you write before you criticise someone else please,
Wet Willy, I have not now nor ever been trying to trip up LEO, and if you read all the thread, you'd realize that. Earlier I alludedto Hawkflyer that I was willing to let this go, but you just had to keep it up. So without further adieu....

wet_willy wrote:

Ben Franklin was bald, fat and needed a haircut

interesting, a bald guy with hair. for tearing into leo for using words you felt were improper at the time, i wonder if you actually read that line after you typed it.

everyone knows a BALD man has no hair, so how is it he was in need of a haircut?

i do not mean to anger anyone here, but perhaps some of us can look at ourselves before we start ripping into someone else.

i have been pulled over 3 times, not once was i treated unfairly IN THE EYE OF THE OFFICER the first time i had been pulled over was for my taillights not working, officer came up to my window told me and asked me where i worked, he already knew, and i told him he was right, he told me to fix the car and get to work before i was to late ad apoligized for keeping me.

the last time, accroding to what the officer could see, i was being careless, from my perspective i was avoiding being run off the road by a truck driver who was probably tired.

what i am saying is what a person sees is all based on their view of the situation.
You know what, I was gonna let it pass, but I'm growing tired of this thread and this feeding frenzy against anyone that posts.

Wet Willy, you make the broad statement that "Everyone knows that a bald man has no hair..." Everyone knows that? Really?? And you're nowspeaking on behalf of everyone? Wow, you must be special.

Um, bald on top.......hair on the sides..... still bald, isn't it? Did I say completely bald? No, I don't recall that at all. Let me see, I made a few "Franklins" today....let's check. Yep, there it is bald on top, long hair on the sides!

And it's not just words that I personally thought were right at the time, it's a little thing we use each and every day called ENGLISH and it has a TON of rules. In fact more than most languages in the world, truth be told.If you don't think there's a difference between the phrase "I LET YOU" or "YOU CAN", then it's back to school. See what happens when you trust the government to provide an education? Tsk tsk tsk...

I didn'trip into LEO 229,as you say. In fact I never even asked him a single question. After discussion about his choice of wordsboth he and I agreed that it was a honest mistake and have since moved on. (Hey LEO, whazzap?) Besides, what I said wasNOTHING compared to the pummeling he's been getting at the hands of others and yet now I'm going to get jumped? Oh, I don't think so.

As previously stated (andconveniently overlooked) I have a lotof LEO friends and I'll add that I've never been mistreated by a LEO, so I have no paranoia or axe to grind there. Oops....there goes that argument out the window. (Is calling them 'LEO friends' stereotyping? Should I say they're friends who just happen to be LEO's?)

It seems to me that this thread has indeed become a feeding frenzy and people are hell bent on forcing others to choose sides and woe unto he that does not choose! I'm not going to play into that childish game.

By the way, we capitalize the first letter of a sentence and the word "I". Poor grammer in an e-mail or on the internet is like giving a speech in dirty clothes. You might have something good to say, but nobody's listening.

Now...in case you didn't note the difference THAT was a HUGE RIP. Please make note of the difference. Oh, and don't worry, I'm not some young liberal college age vegetarian PETA loving, saving the environment"MySpacer" that will cry if absolutely everyone doesn't like me.

This is pointless and boring.... My apologies to the moderators.

"You have enemies? GOOD! That means that you stood up for something at least once in your life!" - Sir Winston Churchill

[align=center]Ruger P345 .45ACP - Winchester 77 .22LR Rifle
Knights of Columbus Member - "GOD"
Virginia Citizens Defense League Member & NRA Distinguished Life Member - "GUNS"
US Navy SCPO (Retired) 1984-2004 - "GUTS"
Veteran of Foreign Wars Lifetime Member
Member OpenCarry.org
[/align]

[align=center]ASSCLOWN!

Abortion is murder...
Guns Save Lives...
Recycling doesn't work...
Vegetarians are idiots...
[/align]

D

Desertdoc

imported post

[align=center]Ruger P345 .45ACP - Winchester 77 .22LR Rifle
Knights of Columbus Member - "GOD"
Virginia Citizens Defense League Member & NRA Distinguished Life Member - "GUNS"
US Navy SCPO (Retired) 1984-2004 - "GUTS"
Veteran of Foreign Wars Lifetime Member
Member OpenCarry.org

Abortion is murder...
Guns Save Lives...
Recycling doesn't work...
Vegetarians are idiots...
[/align]
I think someone forgot that they too are an ASSCLOWN!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
This is a riot, it seems like everyone's pinging on me tonight.  I have a sweet reply all queued up (not to you), just not sure if I want to release that kind of firepower against a nearly unarmed opponent.  Almost takes the fun out of it.

Thank you. 26 years, with 2 1/2 years off in the middle to try other things. But I don't get to wear digitals to work. It is a little different than that.

I agree it is interesting. It might help you decide on your "sweet reply" problem if you think of it the way my father taught me.

"Never enter into a battle of wits with the unreasonable, the unthinking, or the uncivilized, in most jurisdictions it is illegal to shoot an unarmed man, even if you have just cause." Anon:what:

Of course you could always think of it as discharge of a weapon into a public nuisance.:lol:

Regards

EDIT: Opps! It seems I am too late

LEO 229

imported post

Joxer wrote:
I just recently received my CHP and I was wondering if I'm allowed to have a shotgun loaded in my truck if it is locked up and in the open kind of like they are in police cars?

You do not actually need a CHP/CWP for this in Virginia. you can openly carry and this includes your car as long as it is clearly visible.

According to the state code of Virginia you can as long as you are 18 and older and it does not fit the criteria of an assault weapon. In this case, a shotgunthat holds more than 7 rounds of ammo.

I strongly recommend that you do not keep a round in the chamber!! You run the risk of it going off in an accident, vehicle fire, or someone playing around with the trigger.

§ centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

bayboy42

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Joxer wrote:
I just recently received my CHP and I was wondering if I'm allowed to have a shotgun loaded in my truck if it is locked up and in the open kind of like they are in police cars?
You do not actually need a CHP/CWP for this in Virginia. you can openly carry and this includes your car as long as it is clearly visible.

According to the state code of Virginia you can as long as you are 18 and older and it does not fit the criteria of an assault weapon. In this case, a shotgunthat holds more than 7 rounds of ammo.

I strongly recommend that you do not keep a round in the chamber!! You run the risk of it going off in an accident, vehicle fire, or someone playing around with the trigger.

§ centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

LEO229...it appears that you have quoted a portion of 18.2-287.4 (not sure where the "assault weapon" criteria comes from)....which does not apply to persons having a CHP...which Joxer says he has. My point....Joxers shotgun can legally hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered.

Additionaly question...does your law enforcement agency carry loaded shotguns in their cruisers?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Joxer wrote:

Hey, that's no joke! Before I joined the Navy, I was a policeinstaller (radios, lights, sirens, wig-wags, etc) and I can't tell you how many times we had to rip everything out of a cruiser where someoneshot a hole in the roof and even sometimes blew the light bar off!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Hey, that's no joke! Before I joined the Navy, I was a policeinstaller (radios, lights, sirens, wig-wags, etc) and I can't tell you how many times we had to rip everything out of a cruiser where someoneshot a hole in the roof and even sometimes blew the light bar off!
"No joke" is right! Many semi-auto pistols today have firing-pin blocking mechanisms of some sort. I'm not as familiar with shotguns, but the one's I knowdo not have firing pin blocking mechanisms. Hence the old adage about unloading before crossing ditches. Drop the weapon and theimpact bounces the firing pin into the primer. I imagine it would be ditto for a deep pothole, crash, etc. There are better excuses for putting in that sunroof.

LEO 229

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Joxer wrote:

LEO229...it appears that you have quoted a portion of 18.2-287.4 (not sure where the "assault weapon" criteria comes from)....which does not apply to persons having a CHP...which Joxer says he has. My point....Joxers shotgun can legally hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered.

Additionaly question...does your law enforcement agency carry loaded shotguns in their cruisers?

Bayboy42 is correct.. I was running late and did not have time to add any more about it.

The waythe code reads.... If you have a CWP from are exempt and can have a shotgun with the 7 rounds or more. Nice!!

Our shotguns are loaded but nothing in the chamber. Nothing like taking it out of the rack over your head and accidentally hitting the trigger. Ouch! I have heard of this happening to a LEO but not in Virginia.

67GT390FB

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Bayboy42 is correct.. I was running late and did not have time to add any more about it.

The waythe code reads.... If you have a CWP from are exempt and can have a shotgun with the 7 rounds or more. Nice!!

Our shotguns are loaded but nothing in the chamber. Nothing like taking it out of the rack over your head and accidentally hitting the trigger. Ouch! I have heard of this happening to a LEO but not in Virginia.
and there is something to be said about the sound of chambering a round in a 12 gauge pump and its effect on most sane individuals. :lol:

cs9c1

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I was in an enclosed space when someone fired a 1911 off. I had ringing ears for 2 days, and can't even begin to think of how loud a shotgun would be.

cs9c1

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
and there is something to be said about the sound of chambering a round in a 12 gauge pump and its effect on most sane individuals. :lol:
Thats what I told my wife when I left for Iraq, but I added "If they keep coming after hearing you rack the shotgun, they want to be shot".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
HankT wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
(i'm assuming that was an attempt to see if I would answer the very question that I made a comment on - and yes, I understand not everyone here will answer the question like I did).

Not really.

It was actually an attempt to see if you understood that only a tiny proportion of those here would publicly post who they worked for. Your answer above indicates that you may not.

BTW, bayboy, what is your pay grade if you dont mind me asking?

:p
Your answer above indicates that you may not??? But I did publicly post who I work for.

Looks like you got your answer HankT ("yes, I understand not everyone here will answer the question like I did")

No, not really. Here's the way to actually comprehend what I am refrerring out (since you are obviously and persistently missing the point).

Think of what the percentage of people on this forum who would actually publicly post where they work. Use your own estimate (mine is <1%). I'm saying that it is a "tiny" number. Your estimate should be a low number too.

Given that thepercentage of peopleon this forum who would be willing to publicly post where they work is "tiny," which of the two following statements would best describe that?

1. "Almost everyone here avoids identifying who they work for."

2. "I understand not everyone here will answer the question like I did."

Your answer illustrates your inability to see the difference between "almost everyone" not doing it and "not everyone" doing it. It's a matter of degree and precision. Probably just bias.

LEO 229

imported post

This video may help some understand why a LEO can get a little nervous about someone with a gun. This is a bank robber but..... watch what happens while he drives down the road.

http://xpstream.winisp.net/marcbarton/timgree

You will be on the edge of your seat when you watch this... At least I was.It puts you right there in the car with the LEO!!

Enjoy :D

bayboy42

imported post

And HankT, your answer illustrates your inability to let it go. Whether or not I comprehend your point (which I obviously do) has no bearing on this thread. Contributes nothing to any of the main topics. Three pages ago I made the comment
"Most here avoid identifying themselves."

Yeah, except for the 100+ is Manassas the other night :lol:

Just trying to show that the OCers of VA aren't afraid to stand up and identify themselves when the situation warrants it....nothing more nothing less.

HankT, think of it like this:

Not everyone here is tired of your pointless posts...

LEO229............amazing video....unbelievable.

LEO 229

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
LEO229............amazing video....unbelievable.

Ya... I now!! Never saw that video on any episode of COPS. I have chased people... but that never happened to me. Makes you think.. "What would I do?"

IanB

imported post

While watching the video two thoughts went through my head:

1: Why don't cruisers have an M-4 in the trunk?

2: Why didn't one of the officers accelerate to warp 7 and ram his azz off the road?

OK, I know the answer to #2 is "because it may endanger an innocent" but heck, that guy allready was endangering EVERYONE by popping off 223 rounds like that. It may be suicide, but that's what went through my head...GET THAT MORON OFF THE ROAD. I guess that's why I work in IT and not law enforecement.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
While watching the video two thoughts went through my head:

2: Why didn't one of the officers accelerate to warp 7 and ram his azz off the road?

OK, I know the answer to #2 is "because it may endanger an innocent" but heck, that guy allready was endangering EVERYONE by popping off 223 rounds like that. It may be suicide, but that's what went through my head...GET THAT MORON OFF THE ROAD. I guess that's why I work in IT and not law enforecement.

I have seen a lot of these "in car" videos in my work. (these two were not properly time aligned with each other by the way), and this one was particularly dramatic because the Officers were clearly outgunned.

As to stopping the BG. From what I saw there was no-place where he could have been pushed off the road that was sufficiently isolated that innocent citizens would not have arrived in the middle of the shootout. Moreover, two Officers would have been insufficient to contain the situation. It appeared to me that the Officers were following their training by keeping the subject in sight, while waiting for a sufficient critical mass of backup to join up so they could contain the situation. It is unfortunate that the final stop was not included in the video.

The reaction of the guy in the White pick-up was priceless. Kind of an OPPS, this is no place for me, and out-a-there.

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
The reaction of the guy in the White pick-up was priceless. Kind of an OPPS, this is no place for me, and out-a-there.

I saw that too..... I kept yelling... Smash into him!! You can easily pin him since he is not looking at you. Funny how long he actually stayed there before deciding to get out of dodge!!

But you know what would happen. The driver would be sued by the bank robbers family and they would win.

LEO 229

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

They cost money.... :(

Some departments issue them out but the officers must attend a week long class and qualify with it first. I know that my department received several brand new M-16 rifles from the government that had been in storage for the past 30 years. They get them at a low cost but there is a limited supply available.

In the video.... you can see one officer run past the camera carrying an M-16 after the shooting at the dump.