• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask LEO a question

LEO 229

imported post

LEO 230 wrote:
Mike, you are indeed correct (almost -- just on the fine part), and it further shows that LEO 229 and his fake "ask a LEO" is a bunch of crap. His "if you have a receipt you're good to go" is not supported by VA code. He plays a cop during his dreamtime.

As stated in the code, there is a rebuttable presumption that the driver has been drinking if there is an open container present. Again, not drinking, the open container is not a problem. And by definition, PASSENGERS cannot be convicted of "Drinking while operating a motor vehicle.

OK.. The original question was if you "buy a 6-pack of beer and drive home with it in the passenger compartment" will it be a problem. I advised this was legal as long asnone were opened. In regards to passengers drinking... they could but only if the driver has not had ANYTHING to drink.

The state code reads "A rebuttable presumption that the driver has consumed an alcoholic beverage in violation of this section..." so even if the driverhad been drinking but not to beDWI... he could be charged for the open container of a passenger. So if you plan to drink as a passenger.. make sure your designated driver has not.

Another user remarked about a corked bottle of wine from a restaurant and a receipt. Technically... the bottle is no longer sealed from the factorybut it is not easily opened unless happen to have a corkscrew with you. I consider it sealed. You will not get into any trouble here.

The code does not specify that the driver needs to be observed actually drinking from the container. You even pasted the code but failed to read it. The textrebuttable presumption means it can be argued thatyou did not doit! You can still be charged as the driver.

Presumptions that are ‘rebuttable’, which means that person against whom the presumption applies must present evidence to the contrary, in order to nullify the presumption.

LEO 229

imported post

LEO 230 wrote:
I'm a wannabe too, just like LEO 229. Come on, man. Your self-righteousness is sickening!

This thread was spawned off from another at the request of several members.

Thanks for stopping in.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
For officer safety.. He may take it from you or tell you to leave it be. I normally let you keep it. An officer has the legal right to remove you from the vehicle to pat you down and search any area under your control from the drivers seat. He cannot search the trunk. When the officer returns to your car.... have your hands on the wheel again. This is the first thing we see when we approach.

On this board, Sir, we do not accept unsupported statements. Please cite case law.

I'd be very interested in which stretch of the 4th Amend. allows a police officer to search any area of my car within my driver-seat reach while I am outside the car and have already been patted down Terry-style there.

LEO 230

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The code does not specify that the driver needs to be observed actually drinking from the container. You even pasted the code but failed to read it. The textrebuttable presumption means it can be argued thatyou did it!

Again, non-LEO 229, you're wrong and you're stupid....a PRESUMPTION can be argued that you did it. A rebuttable presumption means that you can argue that you didn't do it. You are, indeed, obviously to all NOT a LEO.

This thread was spawned off by you, not another, thinking that your cop fantasies could be passed off to others as you being a.....MAN. Again, NOT!

TEX1N

imported post

Citizen wrote:
On this board, Sir, we do not accept unsupported statements. Please cite case law.

I'd be very interested in which stretch of the 4th Amend. allows a police officer to search any area of my car within my driver-seat reach while I am outside the car and have already been patted down Terry-style there.
Michigan v. Long 463 U.S. 1032 (1983):

2. The protective search of the passenger compartment of respondent's car was reasonable under the principles articulated in Terry and other decisions of this Court. Although Terry involved the stop and subsequent patdown search for weapons of a person suspected of criminal activity, it did not restrict the preventive search to the person of the detained suspect. Protection of police and others can justify protective searches when police have a reasonable belief that the suspect poses a danger. Roadside encounters between police and suspects are especially hazardous, and danger may arise from the possible presence of weapons in the area surrounding a suspect. Thus, the search of the passenger compartment of an automobile, limited to those areas in which a weapon may be placed or hidden, is permissible if the police officer possesses a reasonable belief based on specific and articulable facts which, taken together with the rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant the officer to believe that the suspect is dangerous and the suspect may gain immediate control of weapons. If, while conducting a legitimate Terry search of an automobile's interior, the officer discovers contraband other than weapons, he cannot be required to ignore the contraband, and the Fourth Amendment does not require its suppression in such circumstances. The circumstances of this case justified the officers in their reasonable belief that respondent posed a danger if he were permitted to reenter his vehicle. Nor did they act unreasonably in taking preventive measures to ensure that there were no other weapons within respondent's immediate grasp before permitting him to reenter his automobile. The fact that respondent was under the officers' control during the investigative stop does not render unreasonable their belief that he could injure them.
The U.S. Supreme Court has always taking officer safety into account when defining a "Terry" search.

LEO 229

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
The U.S. Supreme Court has always taking officer safety into account when defining a "Terry" search.

Thanks TEX1N!I should have mentioned "Terry"inwhat I wrote. I did not want to stretch my comments too long. :D

I am sure what you have posted will be very valuable to all who read it in the future.

LEO 229

imported post

LEO 230 wrote:
Again, non-LEO 229, you're wrong and you're stupid....a PRESUMPTION can be argued that you did it. A rebuttable presumption means that you can argue that you didn't do it. You are, indeed, obviously to all NOT a LEO.

This thread was spawned off by you, not another, thinking that your cop fantasies could be passed off to others as you being a.....MAN. Again, NOT!

My bad.. left out a few words. Modified and added additional text for clarification.

Thanks! :D

bayboy42

imported post

Just so everyone is on the same page....

LEO229's initial comment "An officer has the legal right to remove you from the vehicle to pat you down and search any area under your control from the drivers seat." is UNTRUE unless that same officer "possesses a reasonable belief based on specific and articulable facts which, taken together with the rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant the officer to believe that the suspect is dangerous and the suspect may gain immediate control of weapons."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks for the case cite, Tex1n. No fault of yours, but I'm glad to know that my "getting permission" (I have a permit) and my exercising a right has turned into an "articulable fact."

bayboy42

imported post

I see what your trying to say Citizen but I'm not quite sure being in possession of a permit constitutes "an articulatable fact" While it may show the individual has the ability to gain immediate control of a weapon, it most certainly doesn't show the individual is dangerous.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote, " My bad.. left out a few words. Modified and added additional text for clarification. Thanks!"

Thus the problem with cyber-truth, just a moment and a few key clicks ago it was an error at best and , at worst, an unconsionable lie - just the sort of character flaw we should expect and excused with 'my bad.'

What's the politician's stock phrase, 'amended and extended remarks'?

Whatever...

Any squids here remember Admiral Rickover on Responsibility?

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I doubt LEO 229 removesmost people their vehicleand pats them down and searches any area "undertheir control from the drivers seat"....... just because. Just think of the time and animosity that would add to each stop. If I thought he had meant that, I'd beupsetas well (he can correct me if I am wrong).

Without speaking like a lawyer, I wonder ifhe meant he does so, basically, when a combination of experience, articulateable fact andgut feeling invoke in him"a reasonable belief based on specific and articulable facts which, taken together with the rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant the officer to believe that the suspect is dangerous and the suspect may gain immediate control of weapons".

I am not writing to defend law enforcement who violate the law in anyway, or who stretch facts to justify questionable actions. Butwe will get, after all, the police force we ask for. I think we should be fair to the LEO community and the dangers they face, while also demanding they respect our rights.

Mutual respect is essential here. Don't ask for respect if you won't give it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good points, Sic. Here's my perspective.

There is one subject in this nation where "innocent until proven guilty" does not apply--government. The Founders proceeded from an assumption that power was a problem. Theyarranged the government tolimit it.Four delegates to the Constitutional Conventionrefused to sign the Constitution, at least one because it lacked an enumeration of citizen rights.

Iwon't greet an individual police officer with suspicion. But policeareguilty of beinga government agent untilthey prove their innocence byactingvery reasonably, responsibly, and respectfully. Contradictory? Semantically speaking, yes. Let me say it another way. I won't go aroundbeing angry at all police; but I'll beeducated on my rights sothatifa police officersteps even a millimeter out of line, his boss(es) will hear about it later.

I may even use an attorney as my caliper to measure that millimeter.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
I see what your trying to say Citizen but I'm not quite sure being in possession of a permit constitutes "an articulatable fact" While it may show the individual has the ability to gain immediate control of a weapon, it most certainly doesn't show the individual is dangerous.

Perhaps the courts agree with you. I hope they do. I'll bet there are plenty of police who see it the way I implied. It seems LEO 229 does.

He also thinks that police have rights ("...have the right to [search the...car]"). Only citizens have rights.Government agents have powers and authority. We've known for quite a while on this board that it is pointless to consult police on law. The answers too frequently are wrong, biased, etc. But, lets let him talk. Lets see what other misleading information he posts.

LEO 229

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
I doubt LEO 229 removesmost people their vehicleand pats them down and searches any area "undertheir control from the drivers seat"....... just because. Just think of the time and animosity that would add to each stop. If I thought he had meant that, I'd beupsetas well (he can correct me if I am wrong).
I have no desire to just yank people out of their car just because. If I stop someone and it looks like they are actively trying to do something quickly...before I get to their door...I might. People will often hide their wallet under the floor mat, hide dope, alcohol,or guns under their seat or under clothing in the rear of the vehicle.

And based on my observations... I have the rights as defined under Terry to search for my safety.

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Perhaps the courts agree with you. I hope they do. I'll bet there are plenty of police who see it the way I implied. It seems LEO 229 does.

He also thinks that police have rights ("...have the right to [search the...car]"). Only citizens have rights.Government agents have powers and authority. We've known for quite a while on this board that it is pointless to consult police on law. The answers too frequently are wrong, biased, etc. But, lets let him talk. Lets see what other misleading information he posts.

OK... I see you are a stickler for detail. It really did not make a difference to me.In the future.. I will usePower or Authority.

I guess that does sound better. Thank you for pointing that out. It was my error to try to use rights and authority interchangeably.

SIGarmed229

imported post

Goodness, seems like everyone is getting bend outta shape on this topic. I just applied to the Sheriffs dept and Poice dept in Fairfax county. If/when I hold the title of LEO I would definatly not hassle anyone with a CCW or OCer

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
OK... I see you are a stickler for detail. It really did not make a difference to me.In the future.. I will usePower or Authority.

I guess that does sound better. Thank you for pointing that out. It was my error to try to use rights and authority interchangeably.

I wasn't making up"rights vs authority." The reference is the US Constitution. Nowhere in the Constitution is the word "right" used in connection with a government body or agent, only"power" and"authority." This alignsexactly with the founding concept that the power is inherent in thegoverned and isdelegated to the government.

Here is how this exercise in "stickler-ism" applies. Toomany police forget that they have delegated authority and power; and they only have exactlyas much as has beendelegated--not onemillimeter more.

Lets then extend this tofirearms. The only reason a police officer can carry a gun is becausecitizens have or had the right.The police officer could not have received the delegated power or authority unless it was first possessed by the delegator.

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I wasn't making up"rights vs authority." The reference is the US Constitution. Nowhere in the Constitution is the word "right" used in connection with a government body or agent, only"power" and"authority." This alignsexactly with the founding concept that the power is inherent in thegoverned and isdelegated to the government.

Here is how this exercise in "stickler-ism" applies. Toomany police forget that they have delegated authority and power; and they only have exactlyas much as has beendelegated--not onemillimeter more.

Lets then extend this tofirearms. The only reason a police officer can carry a gun is becausecitizens have or had the right.The police officer could not have received the delegated power or authority unless it was first possessed by the delegator.

No... Your right... I do thank you for addressing that. :D

I do not really think of myself as having "power" so that is why I used the terms that I did. But based on my employment... I do of course. We just do not use those terms at the officewhen we speak about matters such as this.