• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taco Bell on LA415 in Port Allen

CrashVector

imported post

Yes, I hate to admit that I actually ate food that came from Taco Bell, but there's a reason for the story.

The wife, kid and I pulled up last night at 8PM at the Taco Bell on LA 415 in Port Allen. When we turned into the parking lot, I saw there were 4 or 5 Port Allen police cars in the lot. I made sure nothing was going on except for the cops grabbing a bite to eat (didn't wanna walk headlong into a pre-existing problem, etc)

I had my Walther P99 on my right hip in my Galco Fletch II holster like I always do.

The wife stayed in the car with the kid because getting him inand out the carseat is a hassle, and I wasn't going to be gone too long.

I walked in, ordered my food, paid for it..then waited in line. Two of the cops came out of the restroom and noticed my pistol.

"hey...what kind of holster is that?"

"A Galco Fletch 2"

"They make those for Sigs or Glocks?"

"Yeah, I saw some at Jim's firearms for a bunch of different glock models and Sigs, too"

"How much?"

"The different models cost a little different, but I paid about $70 for mine I think, including a magazine holder"

"Sweet. I'm gonna have to go have a look"

I got my food and left. It was a non-issue.

CrashVector

imported post

The thing is that it's a hit-and-miss deal in Louisiana.

Open carry is seen commonly in one place, then 5 miles away, if someone sees you open carrying, they will call the cops.

In Port Allen, I go grocery shopping wearing my pistol all the time. No one seems to care one way or the other. Cross the river into Baton Rouge however, and people look at you like you have three heads....including the police.

Take for instance my experience at Taco Bell in Port Allen, and compare that to a trip I took to Home Depot in January. The cop outside the store stopped me and asked me a million questions...then held me while he checked with someone about me carrying a firearm. He made it CLEAR that he didn't like the idea of someone open carrying, and that he would do everything he could to find an excuse to arrest you if he had the chance.

ManInBlack

imported post

I agree with the above poster. Open carry is a very hit-or-miss thing in Louisiana. I love the no restrictions on car carry, but as I live in New Orleans, I rarely open carry in the city outside my vehicle. I have open carried in some rural parishes, but with open eyes and ears; i.e.: took my cues from the locals and what I perceived to be their attitudes.

I remember once I was driving with friends to go camping in the Kisatchie, and I had a large hunting knife strapped to my belt and leg. We stopped at a McDonald's somewhere around Opelousas, if I remember correctly, and a local white trash (no offense to anyone who may live in Opelousas, but this guy was speaking ebonics; no joke) told me "You better hope the cops don't come up in this b****...they don't like that kind of thing," pointing to my knife. I was really glad I had left my guns in the car...that is, if what he was saying was accurate.