Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: NOVA Meetups

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    I been thinking about the future of our monthly meetups and have been kicking around the idea of making them more formal. Basically instead of just meeting at a restaurant, we begin to have meetings with an agenda and have a space of our own to hold them, similar to VCDL meetings and like the VCDL meetings we canhave a dining out fellowship afterwords. Or we could find restaurants with backrooms that may be more suitable for a meeting and reserve them in advance. Of course I would be perfectly agreeable with continuing as before, I just have a feeling that the next NOVA meetup might be bigger than usual.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Bulldog1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    I'm down with that.....sounds great.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    That sounds good to me. Hey Andy...getting close to 1000 posts!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Lower End of NoVa, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    719

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    I been thinking about the future of our monthly meetups and have been kicking around the idea of making them more formal. Basically instead of just meeting at a restaurant, we begin to have meetings with an agenda and have a space of our own to hold them, similar to VCDL meetings and like the VCDL meetings we canhave a dining out fellowship afterwords. Or we could find restaurants with backrooms that may be more suitable for a meeting and reserve them in advance. Of course I would be perfectly agreeable with continuing as before, I just have a feeling that the next NOVA meetup might be bigger than usual.
    I think you are right about it being bigger in the future. It may be a good idea when the crowd is large to have your own room in a gun friendly place. IMHO -- alone or with one or two other folks when dinning out may get a few strange looks but no police or getting asked to leave. With large numbers everything becomes more intimidating. Even us. And if someone is easily intimidated, many with guns will be the sight that freaks them out.



    DC

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Home of the Heros, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    418

    Post imported post

    so when are you guys planning on meeting up? I want to come and see how things go. Keep me informed

    asif

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    519

    Post imported post

    Sounds like a good idea to me. A large number of paying diners is also likely to make the restaurant owner/manager reluctant to eject us, and more likely to invite us back.

    Perhaps we can collect all of the reciepts and mail them to Tony's. The comments of the co-owner, aired on channel 4, are enough to make Tony's a gun owner unfriendly establishment, in my mind. Not to mention caving in to police who coerced him into ejecting us from his restaurant on the evening of January 13.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    383

    Post imported post

    I like that idea.

  8. #8
    Desertdoc
    Guest

    Post imported post

    You know... our meetings down here in the tidewater area is on average 14-18 people for the last three months. You all are welcome to come play in these neck of the woods. It would be nice to have to call ahead and reserve the entire place. I think its time for a state wide get together. One that we can rent a hall and have a dinner catered.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    236

    Post imported post

    markand wrote:
    The comments of the co-owner, aired on channel 4, are enough to make Tony's a gun owner unfriendly establishment, in my mind.
    This might be something you address him directly with. We don't know the exact question the media asked. It seemed to me like he was restating the question in the answer. I wouldn't cut off Tony's based on one biased editors cut.

    If you were running a restaurant and the police swarmed in and started making a scene, it might be easier to diffuse the situation by removing it from the location. How do you think the police would have reacted if he allowed you to stay? Would one follow each of you to the city limits trying to find something wrong? It may have been a choice of the lesser of the two evils.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Burke, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    212

    Post imported post

    I second the idea of formal meetups. Should the VCDL have chapters in each county, city, or region of Va? I think that it might be an interesting idea.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    I been thinking about the future of our monthly meetups and have been kicking around the idea of making them more formal. Basically instead of just meeting at a restaurant, we begin to have meetings with an agenda and have a space of our own to hold them, similar to VCDL meetings and like the VCDL meetings we canhave a dining out fellowship afterwords. Or we could find restaurants with backrooms that may be more suitable for a meeting and reserve them in advance. Of course I would be perfectly agreeable with continuing as before, I just have a feeling that the next NOVA meetup might be bigger than usual.
    Not having been at Tony's, I'm not sure if the discomfort may have had a part in this.

    I'm all for calling ahead and reserving room for X people, but I'm not sure I really want to relegate us to a separate area or room. Isn't one part of the idea that we really are "normal" people, just like everyone else in the restaurant?

    I know some places won't take reservations no matter what you do, but many will make arrangements for a large group. Iwouldn't wantto highlight WHY we'll be so many, just call and reserve out of courtesy.If they wouldn't take a reservation for, say, 20 people for a family dinner, they might not do it for us.

    Not trying to be contradictory, but since go to LOTS of meetings, I'd want to know we had a goal and a purpose for a meeting, not just a meeting. I much prefer the social part.

    To make it worth having a formal meeting, maybe a "question of the day" for discussion - constitutional areas, "how tos", "what ifs" are some ideas - with a defined time.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    I'd like to second desertdoc's proposal. After Manassas, I think we can assume there will be more new VCDL members and more OCDO people as well. My suggestion would be for you folks in the Richmond area to come up with some suggestions for a major get together so none of us has to drive 3 hours each way in evening traffic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to put some faces to the screen names I've come to know here over the last year!

    Comments? Suggestions?

  13. #13
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    I'd like to second desertdoc's proposal. After Manassas, I think we can assume there will be more new VCDL members and more OCDO people as well. My suggestion would be for you folks in the Richmond area to come up with some suggestions for a major get together so none of us has to drive 3 hours each way in evening traffic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to put some faces to the screen names I've come to know here over the last year!

    Comments? Suggestions?
    Some of us 'up here' have discussed this also. We were kinda thinking when the weather gets warmer and more of an outdoor thing, like a cookout. At least I 'think' that's what we were thinking.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    152

    Post imported post

    A cookout for the sounds like a good idea. Please give plenty of notice so people can set the date aside as to allow for a good turnout.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Gloucester Point, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    899

    Post imported post

    Statewide Gathering = Yes
    Cookouts = Yes
    Formal Meetings = What Tess Said (I'd want to know we had a goal and a purpose for a meeting, not just a meeting.).....I work for the govt.....spend 25 out of 45 hours a week in meetings

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Burke, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    212

    Post imported post

    Sounds fun! Cant wait to go whenever this takes place

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    This sounds like a great idea and Tess and others haveit right. Specific tailored topics that are purposeful and intentional and will leads us toward a specific goal will serve to strengthen us equally across the state.Great on the local level and even better if the other "chapters" are all doing the same thing and are exploring the same topics at the same time throughout Virginia.

    And doing this while enjoying a BBQ andcamaraderie is always good! Anyone know of anyoutdoor ranges with picnic areas???

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Burke, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    212

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    And doing this while enjoying a BBQ andcamaraderie is always good! Anyone know of anyoutdoor ranges with picnic areas???
    Correct me if i'm wrong... I think Quantico has an outdoor range with a picnic area. I cant remember specifically. The last time I was there was when i was in the CMP which was about 5 years ago.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia, ,
    Posts
    242

    Post imported post

    I believe Quantico range is on military base of Quantico. Therefore carry is prohibited completely.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    I agree. Quantico's out of the question. It's a military range, you have ato be a member of the club to shoot there, there has to be a range officer present trained not by NRA but by USMC Weapons Battalion, the list of typical federal base rules goes on and on. And don't even think about carrying there. Even having loaded magazines during your drive to the range is asking for trouble. I used to be a member for a year there right after I left the Corps, and I never fired a shot because I could never figure out when a range officer would be around. If you want to shoot there, I suggest getting involved in some of the sponsered rifle competitions NRA runs there. Despite all the onerous rules, it really is a fine range.

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    I agree. Quantico's out of the question. It's a military range, you have ato be a member of the club to shoot there, there has to be a range officer present trained not by NRA but by USMC Weapons Battalion, the list of typical federal base rules goes on and on. And don't even think about carrying there. Even having loaded magazines during your drive to the range is asking for trouble. I used to be a member for a year there right after I left the Corps, and I never fired a shot because I could never figure out when a range officer would be around. If you want to shoot there, I suggest getting involved in some of the sponsered rifle competitions NRA runs there. Despite all the onerous rules, it really is a fine range.
    Absolutely right, Tomahawk. I used to be a member there too, but the $25 a year membership wasn't such a good deal when I only got to shoot there about 4 times a year. An RSO had to reserve the range ahead of time, and it was usually on a Sunday morning. Not the best time for me. All the other restrictions really put a crimp in it for me too. I've found a much better place to shoot (7 days a week) and I'm my own RSO.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    OC-Glock19 wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    I agree. Quantico's out of the question. It's a military range, you have ato be a member of the club to shoot there, there has to be a range officer present trained not by NRA but by USMC Weapons Battalion, the list of typical federal base rules goes on and on. And don't even think about carrying there. Even having loaded magazines during your drive to the range is asking for trouble. I used to be a member for a year there right after I left the Corps, and I never fired a shot because I could never figure out when a range officer would be around. If you want to shoot there, I suggest getting involved in some of the sponsered rifle competitions NRA runs there. Despite all the onerous rules, it really is a fine range.
    Absolutely right, Tomahawk. I used to be a member there too, but the $25 a year membership wasn't such a good deal when I only got to shoot there about 4 times a year. An RSO had to reserve the range ahead of time, and it was usually on a Sunday morning. Not the best time for me. All the other restrictions really put a crimp in it for me too. I've found a much better place to shoot (7 days a week) and I'm my own RSO.
    Well, you gonna tell us where this magic place is and invite us?

    (just kidding...I assume you're talking about your back yard)

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    Well, you gonna tell us where this magic place is and invite us?

    (just kidding...I assume you're talking about your back yard)
    I wish it was my backyard, but it's not. I shoot at an Izaak Walton League range. Membership is required but the dues aren't bad at all, and there are numerous chapters throughout the states. Check it out here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •