• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOVA Meetups

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I agree. Quantico's out of the question. It's a military range, you have ato be a member of the club to shoot there, there has to be a range officer present trained not by NRA but by USMC Weapons Battalion, the list of typical federal base rules goes on and on. And don't even think about carrying there. Even having loaded magazines during your drive to the range is asking for trouble. I used to be a member for a year there right after I left the Corps, and I never fired a shot because I could never figure out when a range officer would be around. If you want to shoot there, I suggest getting involved in some of the sponsered rifle competitions NRA runs there. Despite all the onerous rules, it really is a fine range.
Absolutely right, Tomahawk. I used to be a member there too, but the $25 a year membership wasn't such a good deal when I only got to shoot there about 4 times a year. An RSO had to reserve the range ahead of time, and it was usually on a Sunday morning. Not the best time for me. All the other restrictions really put a crimp in it for me too. I've found a much better place to shoot (7 days a week) and I'm my own RSO. :D

Tomahawk

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
I agree. Quantico's out of the question. It's a military range, you have ato be a member of the club to shoot there, there has to be a range officer present trained not by NRA but by USMC Weapons Battalion, the list of typical federal base rules goes on and on. And don't even think about carrying there. Even having loaded magazines during your drive to the range is asking for trouble. I used to be a member for a year there right after I left the Corps, and I never fired a shot because I could never figure out when a range officer would be around. If you want to shoot there, I suggest getting involved in some of the sponsered rifle competitions NRA runs there. Despite all the onerous rules, it really is a fine range.
Absolutely right, Tomahawk. I used to be a member there too, but the $25 a year membership wasn't such a good deal when I only got to shoot there about 4 times a year. An RSO had to reserve the range ahead of time, and it was usually on a Sunday morning. Not the best time for me. All the other restrictions really put a crimp in it for me too. I've found a much better place to shoot (7 days a week) and I'm my own RSO. :D

Well, you gonna tell us where this magic place is and invite us? ;)

(just kidding...I assume you're talking about your back yard)

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Well, you gonna tell us where this magic place is and invite us? ;)

(just kidding...I assume you're talking about your back yard)
I wish it was my backyard, but it's not. I shoot at an Izaak Walton League range. Membership is required but the dues aren't bad at all, and there are numerous chapters throughout the states. Check it out here.