• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOVA Meetups

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I been thinking about the future of our monthly meetups and have been kicking around the idea of making them more formal. Basically instead of just meeting at a restaurant, we begin to have meetings with an agenda and have a space of our own to hold them, similar to VCDL meetings and like the VCDL meetings we canhave a dining out fellowship afterwords. Or we could find restaurants with backrooms that may be more suitable for a meeting and reserve them in advance. Of course I would be perfectly agreeable with continuing as before, I just have a feeling that the next NOVA meetup might be bigger than usual.

DeadCenter

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I been thinking about the future of our monthly meetups and have been kicking around the idea of making them more formal. Basically instead of just meeting at a restaurant, we begin to have meetings with an agenda and have a space of our own to hold them, similar to VCDL meetings and like the VCDL meetings we canhave a dining out fellowship afterwords. Or we could find restaurants with backrooms that may be more suitable for a meeting and reserve them in advance. Of course I would be perfectly agreeable with continuing as before, I just have a feeling that the next NOVA meetup might be bigger than usual.

I think you are right about it being bigger in the future. It may be a good idea when the crowd is large to have your own room in a gun friendly place. IMHO -- alone or with one or two other folks when dinning out may get a few strange looks but no police or getting asked to leave. With large numbers everything becomes more intimidating. Even us. And if someone is easily intimidated, many with guns will be the sight that freaks them out.

DC

markand

imported post

Sounds like a good idea to me. A large number of paying diners is also likely to make the restaurant owner/manager reluctant to eject us, and more likely to invite us back.

Perhaps we can collect all of the reciepts and mail them to Tony's. The comments of the co-owner, aired on channel 4, are enough to make Tony's a gun owner unfriendly establishment, in my mind. Not to mention caving in to police who coerced him into ejecting us from his restaurant on the evening of January 13.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

You know... our meetings down here in the tidewater area is on average 14-18 people for the last three months. You all are welcome to come play in these neck of the woods. It would be nice to have to call ahead and reserve the entire place. I think its time for a state wide get together. One that we can rent a hall and have a dinner catered.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

markand wrote:
The comments of the co-owner, aired on channel 4, are enough to make Tony's a gun owner unfriendly establishment, in my mind.

This might be something you address him directly with. We don't know the exact question the media asked. It seemed to me like he was restating the question in the answer. I wouldn't cut off Tony's based on one biased editors cut.

If you were running a restaurant and the police swarmed in and started making a scene, it might be easier to diffuse the situation by removing it from the location. How do you think the police would have reacted if he allowed you to stay? Would one follow each of you to the city limits trying to find something wrong? It may have been a choice of the lesser of the two evils.

SIGarmed229

imported post

I second the idea of formal meetups. Should the VCDL have chapters in each county, city, or region of Va? I think that it might be an interesting idea.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:

Not having been at Tony's, I'm not sure if the discomfort may have had a part in this.

I'm all for calling ahead and reserving room for X people, but I'm not sure I really want to relegate us to a separate area or room. Isn't one part of the idea that we really are "normal" people, just like everyone else in the restaurant?

I know some places won't take reservations no matter what you do, but many will make arrangements for a large group. Iwouldn't wantto highlight WHY we'll be so many, just call and reserve out of courtesy.If they wouldn't take a reservation for, say, 20 people for a family dinner, they might not do it for us.

Not trying to be contradictory, but since go to LOTS of meetings, I'd want to know we had a goal and a purpose for a meeting, not just a meeting. I much prefer the social part.

To make it worth having a formal meeting, maybe a "question of the day" for discussion - constitutional areas, "how tos", "what ifs" are some ideas - with a defined time.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd like to second desertdoc's proposal. After Manassas, I think we can assume there will be more new VCDL members and more OCDO people as well. My suggestion would be for you folks in the Richmond area to come up with some suggestions for a major get together so none of us has to drive 3 hours each way in evening traffic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to put some faces to the screen names I've come to know here over the last year!

Comments? Suggestions?

VAopencarry

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I'd like to second desertdoc's proposal. After Manassas, I think we can assume there will be more new VCDL members and more OCDO people as well. My suggestion would be for you folks in the Richmond area to come up with some suggestions for a major get together so none of us has to drive 3 hours each way in evening traffic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to put some faces to the screen names I've come to know here over the last year!

Comments? Suggestions?
Some of us 'up here' have discussed this also. We were kinda thinking when the weather gets warmer and more of an outdoor thing, like a cookout. At least I 'think' that's what we were thinking. :)

bayboy42

imported post

Statewide Gathering = Yes
Cookouts = Yes
Formal Meetings = What Tess Said (I'd want to know we had a goal and a purpose for a meeting, not just a meeting.).....I work for the govt.....spend 25 out of 45 hours a week in meetings:lol:

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This sounds like a great idea and Tess and others haveit right. Specific tailored topics that are purposeful and intentional and will leads us toward a specific goal will serve to strengthen us equally across the state.Great on the local level and even better if the other "chapters" are all doing the same thing and are exploring the same topics at the same time throughout Virginia.

And doing this while enjoying a BBQ andcamaraderie is always good! Anyone know of anyoutdoor ranges with picnic areas???

SIGarmed229

imported post

BobCav wrote:
And doing this while enjoying a BBQ andcamaraderie is always good! Anyone know of anyoutdoor ranges with picnic areas???
Correct me if i'm wrong... I think Quantico has an outdoor range with a picnic area. I cant remember specifically. The last time I was there was when i was in the CMP which was about 5 years ago.

rabbit994

imported post

I believe Quantico range is on military base of Quantico. Therefore carry is prohibited completely.

Tomahawk

imported post

I agree. Quantico's out of the question. It's a military range, you have ato be a member of the club to shoot there, there has to be a range officer present trained not by NRA but by USMC Weapons Battalion, the list of typical federal base rules goes on and on. And don't even think about carrying there. Even having loaded magazines during your drive to the range is asking for trouble. I used to be a member for a year there right after I left the Corps, and I never fired a shot because I could never figure out when a range officer would be around. If you want to shoot there, I suggest getting involved in some of the sponsered rifle competitions NRA runs there. Despite all the onerous rules, it really is a fine range.