• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taking Guns to Switzerland

LeagueOf1291

imported post

I thought I saw a "travel" thread, but now I can't find it.

In 2000, I moved my family to Switzerland for a year and took a handgun and a hunting rifle. I had more trouble getting the guns out of the US than I did getting them into Switzerland.

I checked the rifle as luggage and shipped the handgun ahead with United Airlines. Before going to United, I checked their own company regs and fully complied. But when I arrived at the cargo place near the airport, the manager wanted a form from customs. I don't remember what the form number was, but the purpose of it was simply to avoid paying a 10% duty on the firearm when you bring it back into the US – you let customs check the thing, and they give you the form to prove you already had it in the US, and don't have to pay duty when you bring it back.

But if you have a receipt, you don't have to get the form. And even then, if you don't want to get the form, you'll just have to pay 10% when you bring it back. There is no requirement to have the form.

The jerk manager would have none of it. He called customs saying he had "an individual who refused to register the gun before shipping." Then he handed me the phone. The customs guy said this United employee was a real jerk, just come get the form and save myself and him some trouble. So I did.

Now, when I got to Switzerland, I had to pay duty on the handgun, but they gave me a form saying that when I re-exported the gun, I'd get my money back.

And as to the hunting rifle? The customs officer didn't even want to see it. He just asked what kind it was and how much ammo I had. He checked his screen to make sure they were both authorized, wished me good hunting, and waved me on. Never even opened the case.