• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Virginia Gun Rights Reference

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here is a handy 2-page doc titled "YOUR VIRGINIA GUN RIGHTS"that I made for everyone's use.I usedBlueJ's as a starter and itlists the Virginia State Constitution: Article 1: Section 13 (RKBA), basic statements about registration non-requirement, list ofstates that honor VA's CHP, Quick Reference of places off-limits while carrying and selected pertinent laws.

Lemme know what you think, and if you can make it better, please do!

I'm probably going to keep 2-sided copies of this in my car just to have handy.

Next trick, wallet sized reference cards.

If you need this in .pdf, please contact me!

Attachments

• VirginiaGunRights.doc
    46.5 KB · Views: 144

Bubba Ron

imported post

Thanks BobCav!! I know you were there at the Manassas City Council meeting, I was too, I just couldn't tell you from the other 150+ folks there. I still have a hat for you (only sold 3 on Monday night) please let me know if you pick one up at a gun show in your area or you otherwise don't need me to hold one for you.

sitedzn

imported post

thanks bobcav. good luck with the wallet sized version!

bubbaron, if you're at the gun show this weekend in mechanicsville, i'll be stopping in. the response at manassas moved me enough to get off the pot and join up.

IanB

imported post

Ok, the doc link does not work for me. Can someone email me a copy?

Update: Tnx Bob!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Thanks BobCav!! I know you were there at the Manassas City Council meeting, I was too, I just couldn't tell you from the other 150+ folks there. I still have a hat for you (only sold 3 on Monday night) please let me know if you pick one up at a gun show in your area or you otherwise don't need me to hold one for you.
Sure thing Bubba!Iasked as many people I could if they knew who you were, but there was so many people, they had no idea. Thanks for holding one, I appreciate it bro! I'll let you know if I get one at a show.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just updated by adding one law -

§ 18.2-282. Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearance; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured. However, this section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense. Persons violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor or, if the violation occurs upon any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds or upon public property within 1,000 feet of such school property, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-69.2; 1968, c. 513; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1990, cc. 588, 599; 1992, c. 735; 2003, c. 976; 2005, c. 928.)

SIGarmed229

imported post

§ 15.2-1209.1. Counties may regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.
(Code 1950, § 18.1-272; 1975, cc. 14, 15, § 18.2-287; 2004, c. 462.)
[/b]The governing body of any county is hereby empowered to adopt ordinances making it unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession while on any part of a public highway within such county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking; and to provide a penalty for violation of such ordinance not to exceed a fine of $100. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property

I thought that this code was no longer in effect? Didnt a new code come out recently saying that no locality or county can regulate firearms on that specific countys road ways?

[suP][/suP]

Bubba Ron

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
bubbaron, if you're at the gun show this weekend in mechanicsville, i'll be stopping in. the response at manassas moved me enough to get off the pot and join up.
sitedzn, there should be a VCDL table at the show, we won't be able to make that show, but if you're ever in the Tidewater area for a show, please stop by. Thanks for joining!!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SIGarmed229 wrote:
§ 15.2-1209.1. Counties may regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.
(Code 1950, § 18.1-272; 1975, cc. 14, 15, § 18.2-287; 2004, c. 462.)
[/b]The governing body of any county is hereby empowered to adopt ordinances making it unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession while on any part of a public highway within such county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking; and to provide a penalty for violation of such ordinance not to exceed a fine of $100. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property

I thought that this code was no longer in effect? Didnt a new code come out recently saying that no locality or county can regulate firearms on that specific countys road ways?

[suP][/suP]
That was right off the state's site. I think they're trying to keep hunters from shooting across highways when hunting on private property on both sides of the highway. IOW, if you're on the north side and a 10 point buck pops up on the other side of the highway and sticks his tongue out at you, TOO DAMN BAD.

What I did read is this: "The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property"

bayboy42

imported post

Sigarmed229 is partially correct. This code was the subject of HB2547. This bill changes 15.2-1209.1 to read:

15.2-1209.1. Counties may regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.

The governing body of any county is hereby empowered to adopt ordinances making it unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession, for the purpose of hunting, while on any part of a public highway within such county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking; and to provide a penalty for violation of such ordinance not to exceed a fine of $100. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles or for purposes other than hunting, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property. "

Below is a history of HB2547's status:

01/09/07 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/10/07 075810264
01/09/07 House: Referred to Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety
02/02/07 House: Reported from Militia, Police and Public Safety (17-Y 4-N)
02/03/07 House: Read first time
02/05/07 House: Read second time and engrossed
02/06/07 House: Read third time and passed House (79-Y 20-N)
02/06/07 House: VOTE: PASSAGE (79-Y 20-N)
02/06/07 House: Communicated to Senate
02/07/07 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed
02/07/07 Senate: Referred to Committee on Local Government
02/13/07 Senate: Reported from Local Government (14-Y 1-N)
02/15/07 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed (35-Y 0-N)
02/15/07 Senate: VOTE: (35-Y 0-N)
02/16/07 Senate: Read third time
02/16/07 Senate: Passed Senate (34-Y 4-N)
02/16/07 Senate: VOTE: (34-Y 4-N)
02/23/07 House: Enrolled
02/23/07 House: Bill text as passed House and Senate (HB2547ER)

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Now that makes more sense. Now they just need to update the site!

The Code of VA will not reflect the change until it is signed into law... It should finish its run without complications, but there is still one hurdle left... it has to be signed by the gov.

The legislative site is updated daily with changes and cannot account for the lag between the houses and the gov.

ET

imported post

Didn't the Governor veto similar legislation last year?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Now that makes more sense. Now they just need to update the site!

It's still a bill (granted ratified by both houses) until the Govenor signs it.

If the Govenor signs it, it doesn't become effective until July 1. Right?

And, yes, the Govenor Kaine vetoed the same basic bill last year.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

on the bright side, his explanation for veto was that this hasn't been a problem and that he didn't want to take away any local authority. His ammendment that was rejected was to have a requirement that the same bill pass the house this session. The amendment was rejected, but the action was taken. If he's to be taken at his word, he needs to pass this. Maybe this is one where he needs a handfull of email holding him accountable for last years failure of this bill...