• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Short Pump Mall

SubXD-9

imported post

Its interesting. Short Pump Malls signs says "no firearms, knives or other weapons, even if carried legally". That being said, there is a Dicks Sporting Goods store there. Dicks sells "Firearms, knives and other weapons". Explain that....

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SubXD-9 wrote:
Its interesting. Short Pump Malls signs says "no firearms, knives or other weapons, even if carried legally". That being said, there is a Dicks Sporting Goods store there. Dicks sells "Firearms, knives and other weapons". Explain that....

They don't want you to bring your own, they want you to buy one of theirs?:lol:

ParaWarthog

imported post

SubXD-9 wrote:
no firearms, knives or other weapons, even if carried legally
I wonder what other type of legal activity they prohibit? Maybe they'll make a new sign that prohibits car keys, chapstick, and coins "even if carried legally."

72Malibu

imported post

Hmm, I think a letter to the management of Short Pump would be in order. I don't see how that's fair... then again... you're not supposed to bring outside food into a movie theater, they want to sell you theirs. However, I personally would rather pay $1.25 for a 1lb bag of twizzlers and smuggle it in in my wife's large purse than to pay $1.50 for their "snack pack". Violation of those rules will merely get you thrown out if caught, not a criminal charge.

I carry a pocketknife with me everywhere I go, I believe that because it's under 3" it's legal to carry anywhere except places like a courthouse (I asked the officer on duty if he could keep it for me... this was while I went in to pick up my CCW permit).

vt357

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
Hmm, I think a letter to the management of Short Pump would be in order.
From what I understand, short pump is owned by a larger company that owns lots of malls. They have already stated they don't care if gunowners stop shopping there b/c it won't be enough to hurt their business. The new mall planned for the east end of Richmond will be owned by the same company and will most likely have the same rules. :X

67GT390FB

imported post

IANALawyer but here is my explaination. the signage is all at the "Mall proper" entrances. i have only seen the signage here not on the individual store fronts that open outside of the "mall" or the entrances when you drive in. The "mall" in this case is not the entire complex just the common area.

Dicks has an entrance that fronts on the mall and one that fronts on the parking lot. their checkouts and service desk are at the parking lot side of the store. I haven't bought a gun at Dicks but i have seen some purchases and i believe they walk the gun down to the registers for you. i would also expect that you are supposed to leave the store through the parking lot exit and not through the mall? doesn't make sense but i think that is how they explain it to themselves.

i wonder how am i supposed to go to francos and buy a suit that will fit right and not print my rig if i can't carry at the mall. same thing i guess as they have entrances on the "mall" and the parking lot.

also i wonder how Short Pump Malls no gun provision stopped the criminal who kidnapped,raped &killed that department store employee last year. oh thats right it didn't. at least the guy did us a favor and shot himself.

I am notcondoninganyone breaking any laws. I willhowever say this. You need to sit down and ponder, pray, consult a lawyer on what it is thatyou need to do to in order to keep you and yours safe.If that means that you come to the conclusion thatignoring some stupid corporations policy not lawis more important than the consequences then do it.

As I stated above their policy didn't protect that poor girl last year because criminals don't care about their rules.

72Malibu

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
I am notcondoninganyone breaking any laws. I willhowever say this. You need to sit down and ponder, pray, consult a lawyer on what it is thatyou need to do to in order to keep you and yours safe.If that means that you come to the conclusion thatignoring some stupid corporations policy not lawis more important than the consequences then do it.

As I stated above their policy didn't protect that poor girl last year because criminals don't care about their rules.

You know... I've wanted to say something like this for quite a long time on various 2A forums, but was afraid to be attacked about it. Granted, I know it's just the internet, but I act no differently online as I would if anybody met me in person. In writing though I think I may come across a little more intelligent than I really am. It's unintentional, but I have more time to think and correct when I'm writing.

Anyway, I don't condone breaking the law as far as carrying is concerned either, but I'm not going to lie and say that I've never done it for those exact reasons 67GT390FB stated.

If I'm by myself that's one thing the law is obeyed without question. I'm not as worried about myself but if my family is along, there are times when I debate about whether I'd rather risk facing a trespassing charge or arrest/loss of CCW priveleges and handgun ownership, or risk something bad happening to my wife and my little boy as a result of me being unable to protect them becuase some company doesn't want lawfully carried handguns on their property. Now, I will only do this if I feel it's necessary or if I even just have a bad feeling. Other times, though I know the risk could be just as bad, I'll feel fine about it and leave it in the car.

psmartin

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

You know... I've wanted to say something like this for quite a long time on various 2A forums, but was afraid to be attacked about it. Granted, I know it's just the internet, but I act no differently online as I would if anybody met me in person. In writing though I think I may come across a little more intelligent than I really am. It's unintentional, but I have more time to think and correct when I'm writing.

Anyway, I don't condone breaking the law as far as carrying is concerned either, but I'm not going to lie and say that I've never done it for those exact reasons 67GT390FB stated.

If I'm by myself that's one thing the law is obeyed without question. I'm not as worried about myself but if my family is along, there are times when I debate about whether I'd rather risk facing a trespassing charge or arrest/loss of CCW priveleges and handgun ownership, or risk something bad happening to my wife and my little boy as a result of me being unable to protect them becuase some company doesn't want lawfully carried handguns on their property. Now, I will only do this if I feel it's necessary or if I even just have a bad feeling. Other times, though I know the risk could be just as bad, I'll feel fine about it and leave it in the car.
I can't see how anyone properly CC'ing is ever going to be asked to "leave", and refusal to leave is the only reason you can be arrested for criminal trespass.

In some states it's a criminal charge to carry in a posted area(ie: a posted mall), Virginia doesn't have this problem.

The branch manager at Suntrust told me weapons are not allowed on the property unless by law enforcement or their armed couriers, when I pressed the issue, thebranch manager has a concealed carry permit(by her own admission, that's the only reason I didn't close my account).. And it was left at an issue of "don't ask don't tell"

I'm not going to put myself in jeopardy to make a corporate lawyer feel good about themselves. "The bank is safer, we have banned all weapons"

The only shred of credit that I give SunTrust is, they don't post signs prohibiting firearms, they only inform of their policy if you ask them. (I have finally put this issue to bed after rattling the tree at Suntrust Corporate all week)

72Malibu

imported post

Well, anybody properly CCing will probably only be asked to leave if the right person happens to notice by accident, as in it being accidentally displayed while reaching for something, etc. The only other time is if you actually have to use it in self-defense, in which case the consequences would be the least of one's worries and worth the risk.

SubXD-9

imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
SubXD-9 wrote:
no firearms, knives or other weapons, even if carried legally
I wonder what other type of legal activity they prohibit? Maybe they'll make a new sign that prohibits car keys, chapstick, and coins "even if carried legally."
Surprisingly, Short Pump mall also prohibits photography, according to the same signage. Maybe they dont want you taking pics of their no weapons policy. IfI am not mistaken, the part about "even if carried legally" and "no photography" was added recently in light of issues they had with "our type". I know this because I have worked there since the mall opened.I did see an inter-mall memo today that said the mall has a new director of security, although I doubt that will change anything. And yes, Short Pump mall is owned by Forest City Enterprises. the same development company that is building the new mall in the East End of Richmondthat will surely carry the same rules.

reefteach

imported post

It couldn't hurt to send a message to Dicks. Here is the reply I received about a similar posting in my area:

Thank you for contacting Dick's Sporting Goods.

Dick's Sporting Goods does not have a policy restricting licensed
patrons from carrying a concealed firearm in our retail stores.

I believe the sign you're referencing had been sent from the state of
Ohio. We will further research the sign and its origin to determine
whether we're required by state or federal law to post it.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

>Jean Taggart | Manager - Customer Service & Warranty Dept.
>Dick's Sporting Goods | 300 Industry Dr. | Pittsburgh | PA | 15275
>* jean.taggart@dcsg.com| * 724-273-3112 or 866-677-4771
>Fax: 724-227-1103

SIGarmed229

imported post

reefteach wrote:
It couldn't hurt to send a message to Dicks. Here is the reply I received about a similar posting in my area:

Thank you for contacting Dick's Sporting Goods.

Dick's Sporting Goods does not have a policy restricting licensed
patrons from carrying a concealed firearm
in our retail stores.

I believe the sign you're referencing had been sent from the state of
Ohio. We will further research the sign and its origin to determine
whether we're required by state or federal law to post it.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
So does this mean you cannot OC in their store? Just wondering

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I've open carried at Dicks at the Short Pump Town Center at least 20 times. I believe the policy refers to the mall itself, not the surounding stores. Regardless, I have open carried at that Dicks (including interacting with employees asking questions about products) without a problem. Also, I have open carried at the Barnes and Nobleand the PetSmart at Short Pump many times without a problem.

Other people have also posted to this forum in the past about having open-carried at the Barnes and Noble at Short Pump without a problem. They have a off-dty Sheriff's Deputy there at night, and he has never said a word or cared, either.

Although the rules forbid it, I did open carry at Macy's about three weeks ago for an hour. Only time I have open carried at the mall itself. Wouldn't recommend it, but they still took my $400 and nobody said anything. In fact, got great service, as usual.

leprechaun117

imported post

the Dicks in charlottesville has a sign that says that all firearms must be checked at the front counter. i took "checked" to mean left and didnt go in, ill stop by tomorrow and see if they actually just mean looked over.

side note... charlottesvilles mall is owned by Simon malls (who, according to their web site, owns almost 300 malls in the US) and is posted as "no weapons on mall property" :X iwonder what other locla shopping centers they own?

jimwyant

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
the Dicks in charlottesville has a sign that says that all firearms must be checked at the front counter. i took "checked" to mean left and didnt go in, ill stop by tomorrow and see if they actually just mean looked over.
This is way off the topic (Short Pump Mall), but I asked about that sign at the Dicks on US-1 near Ashland where my wife likes to shop, and they said that the rule applies to merchandise purchased there that is being returned - check it at the front counter, not back at the Lodge where they are actually on display. I mentioned that I have a CHP (I was CC'ing that day - it was cold), and they said that he was not aware of any policy about that - he even asked another employee to confirm, and they said the same. I have OC'ed there since with no problems. YMMV.

72Malibu

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
at all the mall enterances there a Simon Malls Rules Board as soon as you walk in, big white thing, says no running, no outside food, etc. Also says no weapons.

Aah, that's my problem, I normally go in through an "end store" like Sears or JC Penney... and I haven't noticed those signs from those entrances.