• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It is legal to open carry with a permit or without in V.A.

papiron32467

imported post

I open carry with my shoulder strap it is noticeable mostly to everyone who pays attention tell me the pros and cons of this.

Dumfries V.A.

sitedzn

imported post

doesn't do you much good if you don't carry loaded. and to my knowledge, no permit is needed to be loaded.

papiron32467

imported post

i know thats right I knew if you had a permit you could but if you didnt I thought you would have to keep it seperate like in your pocket or something so the only advantage a permit holder has is that he can conceal it.

Dumfries V.A.

vtme_grad98

imported post

Mike wrote:
papiron32467 wrote:
If you dont have a permit can you have your gun fully loaded
Yes, in VA, and most states, no permit to carry a loaded handgun openly in public.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

So, as far as open carry of handguns without a CHP goes, you need to be 18+ and, inmany types ofareas, don't carry one with a threaded barrel ("designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer").

possumboy

imported post

papiron32467 wrote:

You can not carry over20 rounds without a CHP:

"§ style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"18.2-287.4[/b]. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public (i) in any city with a population of 160,000 or more or (ii) in any county having an urban county executive form of government or any county or city surrounded thereby or adjacent thereto or in any county having a county manager form of government.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160.) "

18.2-287.4 does not apply to people with a "valid concealed handgun permit..

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

possumboy wrote:
papiron32467 wrote:

You can not carry over20 rounds without a CHP
"(i) in any city with a population of 160,000 or more or (ii) in any county having an urban county executive form of government or any county or city surrounded thereby or adjacent thereto or in any county having a county manager form of government."

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
possumboy wrote:
papiron32467 wrote:

You can not carry over 20 rounds without a CHP
"(i) in any city with a population of 160,000 or more or (ii) in any county having an urban county executive form of government or any county or city surrounded thereby or adjacent thereto or in any county having a county manager form of government." 

The twenty rounds is a limit on total capacity a single magazine plus the chamber capacity of the weapon. You could have a spare mag that carries 19 more. (Capacity of weapon must be 20 or less, so 19+1).

Regards

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
The twenty rounds is a limit on total capacity a single magazine plus the chamber capacity of the weapon. You could have a spare mag that carries 19 more. (Capacity of weapon must be 20 or less, so 19+1).
I think the text limits issue to magazine, not weapon - "with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition"

VAopencarry

possumboy

imported post

Mike wrote:
possumboy wrote:
papiron32467 wrote:

You can not carry over20 rounds without a CHP

Thanks for pointing that Mike. I was thinking that covers most governments around here - it even covers my home city of about 150 because of the type of government.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

possumboy wrote:
Thanks for pointing that Mike. I was thinking that covers most governments around here - it even covers my home city of about 150 because of the type of government.

it's a Rube-Goldberg formula for sure - I wonder if it would hold up in court under vagueness attack?

Somebody should figure out which localities are covered and make a map for VCDL to post!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

There is already a map here http://www.virginia1774.org/GeospatialEnforcementof18.2-287.html

Geo18.2-287.4.jpg

If Gov. Kaine signs HB2928 the population number and the urban executive form of government requirements go away and only the following localities will be covered by the law: the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond and Virginia Beachand the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun and Prince William.