Thread: Discrimination and Preemption

Post imported post

Please explain this to me.

If Virginia law preempts localities from banning guns how can private corps ban guns.

If it is illegal to discriminate based onrace creed or gender or sexual preferencehow is it legal to discriminate based on 2nd amendment preference.

I know i am oversimplifying things but i would like learn more through the discussion.

Are we making any headway on laws prohibiting corporations from banning guns even in your private vehicle while parked on their property?

Joe

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Corporations are quasi-citizens. Corporations cannot vote in government elections but they are afforded many of the legal rights of regular citizens.
    ---

Post imported post

Corporations are not government entity's. They are 'private'.

The 2d Amendment is not viewed as a civil rightby 'the powers'.

I also see it as property owners rights too. Should the govt tell people how or what they can do regarding their own property. Of course they DO do this to some extent but I think a property owner should be able to set any 'rules' they choose to regarding their own property.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

it all comes down to a battle of who's rights rule. The parking lot issue is just an example of this. Why does a company get to decide what I have in my vehicle? I firmly believe that they can kiss my backside when they declare they have control over my vehicle and what's inside it!

I have been addressing this issue with my company becuase we have a corporate policy that says they have a right to request search of my car for prohibited items with reasonable suspision. They are not liking the fact that I have confirmed that they can ask, but I have the right to refuse. This hasn't actually been an issue in the history of our company, but I want the wording removed.

Our HR staff is not really happy with my views and when we try to discuss it, they go irrational! I guess people are so afraid of offending anyone they are not talking to. They seem to have no problem arguing for what you are against in the name of "devils advocate"... The devil doesn't need an advocate, he's already in all politics!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    If Virginia law preempts localities from banning guns how can private corps ban guns.
    B/c VA's preemption statute only applies to localities.

Post imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
    it all comes down to a battle of who's rights rule. The parking lot issue is just an example of this. Why does a company get to decide what I have in my vehicle? I firmly believe that they can kiss my backside when they declare they have control over my vehicle and what's inside it!
    Companies don't really want to control what you have in your car. They simply want to minimize activities they think or guess may cause disruption to operations and they wish to minimize legal liability for any violence caused by any employees, especially on their property. The legal liability is so potentially enormous that the top executivesof any company would be derelict in their managerial responsibility to the owners of the firm if they didnot act to minimize it.

Get rid of the legal liability implicit in allowing employees to carry/transport/store firearms on property and they won't have a reasonable objection it. Don't remove said legal liability and the status quo will never change.

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    The 2d Amendment is not viewed as a civil rightby 'the powers'.
    We need to fix that

Post imported post

We have a better shot at carrying in National Parks.