• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent interactions with the Public?

psmartin

imported post

Leaving quietly and contacting corporate with "the dirt" may be the most effective route. I thought the "women's reproductive rights" was a hot-button issue until I started CC'ing & occasionally OC'ing.

I've re-opened my "Can o' Suntrust Worms" regarding opencarry, which loosely parallels this.

Two Suntrust branches don't seem to care, the one closest to my home is anti-CC & anti-OC. I politely asked the corporate office to mail me *ANY* policy that prohibited lawful carry, and so far they mailed the 40 page customer agreement (in microprint), which contains NO mention of the policy

The thing that irks me is "some of the companies" spout off "it's against the rules" and "it's against policy", and then even their attorneys can't produce documentation of the rule.

Nobody seems to want to document these policies, maybe to avoid the ire of the NRA membership(which is large), yet managers quote them like folklore.. It's a great story, but without any evidence of fact.

Record your phone calls (it's legal in Virginia if at least 1 party is aware of the recording)..

Citizen wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
shdwrdr- next time, politely tell the manager to "geta Salem LEO to explain the law" (resist the urge to tell him that HE is the one that doesn't understand it). The LEO will show up and inform the manager that legally there is nothing he can do as a LEO but the manager has the right to ask him to leave. If the manager asks you leave, take it up with his corporate office. Search OCDO for Wal-Mart and you'll see some past instance where people have found out from corporate offices that Wal-Mart has no official policy against legally carried firearms and that store managers do not have the authority to ask a person to leave for carrying. One thread even includes an .mp3 file of a voicemail from a Walmart rep stating all of this (but I don't know if we ever determined if she was representing Walmart in general or the Peninsula stores).

Oh and welcome to the community!!

I respectfully disagree. It would be less confrontational to comply with the request. Then speak to the general manager. Then corporate if no satisfaction at the store level. This only addresses the sequence. What you say will be just as important.

We know from experience on this board that police too often give incorrect or biased information. The last thing you would want is an ignorant or gun-control-supportive LEO to arrive and back up the manager bylecturing you publicly against OC.

Like it or not, public acceptance ofOC is not universal.Wehave to deal with it. Changingperceptions back by being good ambassadors is part of the game.

PackininVB

imported post

Anyways... Anybody else got any new stories? Im out on the boat for another week and cant OC anywhere here (Duh) I need a good laugh..help me out.:lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Did you hear the one about the squib stuck on the boat for a week but he couldn't....? :D (Sorry, USMC humor.)

D

Desertdoc

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Did you hear the one about the squib stuck on the boat for a week but he couldn't....? :D (Sorry, USMC humor.)

Ok.. as a former Marine and a more resent former Doc i get the first shot at this...

Squib or squid? spell check there Devildog.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm from the days before vacationers to Parris Island were required to be literate. Throw some southern boys into the mix, and there's no telling how it was liable to pronounced or spelled. For what its worth, I always heard it pronounced with a "b" on the end--that is, when we condescended to refer to them at all.

Corpsmen were ALWAYS excepted.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shows how much things have changed. Back in The Day, we used blasting caps to set off explosives; and cheap insults to set off sailors.

Lthrnck

imported post

Well Citizen,,

Just how far back was it that you were on Paradise Island.. and I have always called them Squids.... except for the Corpman... I called them Doc.

Semper Fi.

VAopencarry

imported post

+1 for the Corpsman

I think Citizen is really a Hollywood Marine :)

Lthrnck, I don't think Citizen(or me)go back as far as you.

Lthrnck

imported post

LOL.. Okay well now I'm the Old Corp ... OOORah...!!! So I will say.. with no hesitation... was in the Corps from 1973 to 1978.

Oh VB... I looked up the military pay charts, and as an Pfc I was making about 398.00 a month.. in 1974. LOL.. man all that money and free travel to boot.. what more could you ask for..

PackininVB

imported post

No kidding, i just got back from a 7 month cruise, saw 8 different countrys ranging from croatia to korea and all while making about 2200 a month (as an E-3:lol:) ALL tax free and almost completely all profit. Cant complain really, cept it sucks being on a carrier for 63 days straight without seeing land!

swatpro911

imported post

People do notice my OC but they wonder whom I work for etc. If you are minding your own business then they hardly interfere. No one has right to ask somebody or interfere while they are doing/going about their business. If they ask why I carry my usual answer is "its legal in virginia and I am in virginia and thats why i am legal to carry" or "because I can"

swatpro911

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
I was OC'ing at the Speedway the other night. Had my Beretta 92FS on my right hip in a Sepra OWB holster. So you cant missmy weaponeven if your partially blind.

There was young man is in front of me and therewere 2 other people already in line in front of him. I notice he is buying 3tall-boy beers soI am assuming he is at least 21. I also notice a smell of alcoholon him, so I assume also he has been drinking.

He notice's my Beretta and says, "Whooa dude your got a big gun there"... I kinda laugh a bit and of course the two other customers, the cashier and the assistant manager (who was behind the counter) look up. The young man says, "Arn't you going to get in trouble for carrying that thing around?" I told him No that it was legal in Ohio to Open Carry. He then proceded to say " Great man I can carry my two .45's in my double shoulder holster's". I said well your gonna have to quit drinking before you do that.. He said.."Why's that dude."

I then informed him about drinking and alcohol, and he looked kinda bummed. He said "Oh well". By that time it was his turn and he paid for his beers and left.

I kept thinking to myself... geesh... just what we need is some drunk kid running around OC'ing, wouldn't that be great for our cause. Yes I know he would only need to get caught once but some Anti would jump all over that.

But the up part of this was I spent the next 10 minutes chatting with the Asst. Mgr and the clerk about OC'ing and CC'ing and might have gotten them both interested in our cause. So all in all, it wasn't a bad night for the cause.
I like what you did there, again I agree drunk individual carrying gun in open since you dont need a permit to open carry so even crooks with stolen gun cud display openly and cops couldnt do anything about it. which is not good. Thats why people who are not responsible enough to handle guns shud not know about OC then the hell's gonna break loose. :)

PackininVB

imported post

Heres a good lil story that im sure will bring some comments...lol

A couple weeks ago me and a buddy went out to the bars (i was unarmed, it was a drinkin night) We met a couple of girls adn went back to their hotel and hung out the rest of the night.

While we were hanging out me and one of the girls got into a discussion (more of an argument really) about guns and carrying.

She said that the general public, especially people around my age (im 23) should not be allowed to carry unless they have military or LEO experiance with a weapon. Her reasoning was that younger people and especially civillians are trigger-happy and will use any excuse to shoot.

She also said that where she grew up (i think around mechanicsville?) that kids there were getting ticketed or arrested (cant remember which she said) for brandishing for having a shotgun in a gun rack in the back windshield of their trucks WHILE on the way to go hunting. (she said this happened even AFTER the preemption laws passed).

I told her she was an idiot (mainly cause i had been up all night and every other point i used hit a brick wall, dont you love those people?).

Any comments? lol

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hold on a second....you're a Sailor, out drinking, go to a girls hotel roomsand end up in a discussion/ argument about guns????

What the hell is wrong with you??!!!

I'm just 3 yearsretired as the Command SCPO at the Washington Navy Yard and I am embarassed for you.

Whatis the Navy coming to?? :banghead:

"discussion" he said.......sheesh......

PackininVB

imported post

We only got in the conversation while we were still hanging out talking and drinkin...Just cause i didnt say anything on here doesnt mean nothin happened...plausible deniability...lol...Dont worry Senior ill never let ya down!

VAopencarry

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
LOL.. Okay well now I'm the Old Corp ... OOORah...!!! So I will say.. with no hesitation... was in the Corps from 1973 to 1978.

Oh VB... I looked up the military pay charts, and as an Pfc I was making about 398.00 a month.. in 1974. LOL.. man all that money and free travel to boot.. what more could you ask for..
OK, maybe I have some odd perceived youth on my part.:D 1982-1988