• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent interactions with the Public?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Whatis the Navy coming to?? :banghead:

Granted, I've never been a Ricco Suave or overly smoothly with the ladies. But, I think arguing and calling the girl an idiot doesn't lead to happy endings. But what do I know, my wife had to ask me out because I was too blind to see her interest. Thank goodness she's persistent.

presbyreformed

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I'm from the days before vacationers to Parris Island were required to be literate. Throw some southern boys into the mix, and there's no telling how it was liable to pronounced or spelled. For what its worth, I always heard it pronounced with a "b" on the end--that is, when we condescended to refer to them at all.

Corpsmen were ALWAYS excepted.
"Vacationers"? at PI? That's not what I called it back in '86.... Yeah, is Citizen a hollywood marine? :lol:

And yes, Corpsmen are ALWAYS excepted! Those guys went out with us and did everything we did. They earned it.

I have a funny story. One of the first times I was OC'ing, I was out with one of my daughters at Wally world getting some vittles for a backpacking trip. I was carrying my XD-40 clearly visible but I doubt many people noticed, as clueless as most people are to their surroundings. Well, that is until this one lady showed up.

My daughter and I were in an aisle looking at something and I noticed two women a few feet away from us. As they went by us, one of them whispered to the other "We gotta get out of here, he has a gun!" and they quickly moved out of the aisle and I didn't see them any more. Well my daughter and I had such a laugh at that. She said to me "Dad, like we're gonna come in here and shop for an hour and then you're gonna rob the place!" Out of the mouth of babes.... We laughed about that for days:lol:

People are just so brainwashed by the media and culture that they cannot use logic and common sense.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

presbyreformed wrote:
"Vacationers"? at PI? That's not what I called it back in '86.... Yeah, is Citizen a hollywood marine? :lol:
I didn't call it thatback then, either.The sand fleas kind of ruined the"island in the sun" effect. The native dress wasmy first clue.Another curious characteristic was thathalf the natives seemed to be deaf. They were always shouting at myself and the rest of my tour group. Now that I think about it, there were other distinctions. Its the only resort I've been to whereI had to make my own bed--at the resort staff's pace and to their standard.:)

VAopencarry

imported post

Citizen wrote:
presbyreformed wrote:
I didn't call it thatback then, either.The sand fleas kind of ruined the"island in the sun" effect. The native dress wasmy first clue.Another curious characteristic was thathalf the natives seemed to be deaf. They were always shouting at myself and the rest of my tour group. Now that I think about it, there were other distinctions. Its the only resort I've been to whereI had to make my own bed--at the resort staff's pace and to their standard.:)
You forgot that silvery hat they make you wear in the warm months.:D But there was plenty of sun, sand and water.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have to stretch the thread topic to make this next post, but perhaps somebody will get a chuckle. It does involve OC, but its a stretch.

At Parris Island we OC'd a lot.

At that time, PI training included a week or two of bivouac in pup tents in a grove of tall pine trees. Meals were C-rations.

The story involves one DI, one other recruit, and myself. The DI was 6' of former air-ordnance muscle. I'll call him Sgt. Big. This name will work as well as any other. Sgt. Big enjoyedgiving me special harassment attention. It was a sort of game between us. Our relationship had moved well beyond calling me by my laundry number. He knew and used my name.

Lunchtime, chowing down with my tent mate. I was sittingoutside the opening into the front of the tent. My tent mate was leaning againstthe pine tree a few feet in front of the tent, eating his chow. The tree was close to the tent, with enough room for me to sit on the ground in front of the tent to eat. Near the end of the meal period, my tent mate decided he had to go to the head, mentioned it to me, then got up and left.

A few moments later, I looked up from my food and noticed Sgt. Big staring at me from about 30' away.Our relationship haddeveloped to the point where I couldreply with a brief speculative gaze. After afew seconds he started walking my way. He walked straight to the pine tree and picked up a rifle.I couldn't move fast enough to get it first. I realized his goal too late to beat him to it.

Sgt. Big walked back to his previous location,turned, set down the rifle, and gave mea huge grin. He knew he had me. His possession of that rifle guaranteed my butt belonged to him, and he knew it.

I just held his grinning expression withmy speculative gaze for a moment,then reached back into my tent, pulled myrifle out onto my lap, and quietly resumed lunch.Sgt. Bighadseized my absent tent mate's rifle. Minehad been out of sight in the tent behind me the entire time.

Of course, Sgt. Big instantly recognized he had made an erroneous assumption in thinking the rifle belonged to me. The sight of Sgt. Big's grin melting away as he realized this was priceless. That his grin melted said volumes. It wasn't a rifle he had been after; it was my rifle he had wanted.

VAopencarry

imported post

ROFL! good story!!

As far as 'the public' goes..... well, if you spend enough time in a gun shop you hear all kinds of stuff.

Customer: Do you have one of those ceramic GLOCKS?
Gun shop guy: [confused look]
Cust: You know, the one's you can get through an airport x-ray machine.
GSG: [still confused look]

I spoke up and set the guy straight. Bruce Willis' G7 is FICTION!

Customer:(conversationaly) yeah, I need to my CHP. I drive a tow truck and sometimes go into some bad neighborhoods.
Me: That would be a good idea.
Cust: Yeah, I go to DC alot and need to carry there.
Me: :shock: You can't carry in DC
Cust: Once I get my permit.
Me: NO your VA CHP does not allow you to carry in DC
Customer was befuddled, he just couldn't understand why his VA CHP would not work in DC. I'm just glad I was able to set him straight so he didn't get in trouble.

PackininVB

imported post

Its amazing to see what some people will try to get or get away with. A ceramic gun to get thru airport security? Why do you want this? Are you a terrorist? Why, i oughta call the cops for such a stupid question...lol..

One other story i can remember is when i went into 7-11 (like usual) stood in line behind some guy who was chatting with one of the cashiers. He was kinda leaning on his side, looked back at me and saw my HK .45 USP on my hip and kinda jumped back, i took a step up to the counter and asked for whatever it was i was looking for. That guy said "Give this dude anythign he wants, hes got the gun!" I just laughed, and so did the cashiers (they kinda knew me by then, knew that i never caused trouble) I dont remember if he asked anythign else about it or if we even talked much more, i just thought it was funny how this guy (a black guy somewhere in his early 20's) would seem afraid of me (a white guy in his early 20's) carrying a gun like it wasnt a big deal...lol

PackininVB

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Whatis the Navy coming to?? :banghead:

Granted, I've never been a Ricco Suave or overly smoothly with the ladies. But, I think arguing and calling the girl an idiot doesn't lead to happy endings. But what do I know, my wife had to ask me out because I was too blind to see her interest. Thank goodness she's persistent.
It wasnt a mean name calling, it was a funny night, i was with her friend tho so i wasnt too concerned..lol

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Had a good one today, a customer insisted that his brother hunts up in Minnesota with a 48" barreledshotgun and using ALUMINUM shot. Maybe possible but I'm calling shenanigans on that one.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Had a good one today, a customer insisted that his brother hunts up in Minnesota with a 48" barreledshotgun and using ALUMINUM shot. Maybe possible but I'm calling shenanigans on that one.
How did you keep a straight face when you heard that one? :lol::lol::lol:

vtme_grad98

imported post

During a discussion about firearms at work, I recently had a person that works on the other end of the building feel compelled to tell us that guns can NEVER protect you. Not "guns can't always protect you", or even the common lie of "guns are more likely to hurt you than a criminal".

Before that, it had been a while since I was able to tell someone in management that they were a f^&*ing moron, so at least he gave me to opportunity to dust that phrase off.

IanB

imported post

Citizen wrote:
longwatch wrote:
How did you keep a straight face when you heard that one? :lol::lol::lol:
That's as good as the guys who claim they have shot or heard about people being shot with rock salt.

See here for a thorough debunking: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm

Rock salt is not dense enough to carry the req'd energy to puncture skin unless your target is practically standing right in front of the barrel!

SIGarmed229

imported post

My freind insists that eating spicy foods for a long period of time will cause you to be immune to pepper spray. I just stared at him. What would you say to a question like that? Its ridiculous!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SIGarmed229 wrote:
My freind insists that eating spicy foods for a long period of time will cause you to be immune to pepper spray. I just stared at him. What would you say to a question like that? Its ridiculous!

Worth checking out further. I understand that OC spray isn't terribly reliable--sometimes it works, other times it slows the bad guy down but doesn't incapacitate. I doubt it has an innoculation effect; but I wonder if there is a pain or irritation threshold that is raised by eating spicy foods. I've seen conventional wisdom be wrong often enough to be willing to listen to further explanation.

Its academic, though. Having been CS'd in the military, I'm going to avoid being OC-sprayed whether I eat spicy food or not. My mantra will be to put the Tabasco on my huevos not in my eyes and nose.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

SIGarmed229 wrote:
My freind insists that eating spicy foods for a long period of time will cause you to be immune to pepper spray. I just stared at him. What would you say to a question like that?
I'd ask him if drinking Starbucks coffee for a long period of time will cause you to be immune to liberals.

:D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DrMark wrote:
I'd ask him if drinking Starbucks coffee for a long period of time will cause you to be immune to liberals.

:D
:lol::lol::lol: I'll sign up for the human trial on that medication!

vabi

imported post

talk about changing perceptions... my wife will no longer go out to eat with me if i am carring (open in a resturant). she believes that the M7 were setting up the police and she doesnt want to be in a "scene". this is a change in her attitude as we eat out often and i carry...(can we ever expect to change peoples attitude towards the positive?):banghead:

marc

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vabi wrote:
talk about changing perceptions... my wife will no longer go out to eat with me if i am carring (open in a resturant). she believes that the M7 were setting up the police and she doesnt want to be in a "scene". this is a change in her attitude as we eat out often and i carry...(can we ever expect to change peoples attitude towards the positive?):banghead:

marc

Yes, we can and regularly do change perceptions. Some require a little more gentle presentation of the facts to get past their discomfort.

You can try showing her the thread where the meet-up was discussed. You'll note the absence of plotting to set anybody up. The only thing mentioned was that one of the members mentioned that he had OC'd in Tony's a number of times.

You can try showing her all the threads where similar meet-ups have been coordinated by members in various regions.

You can try a little reality-based logic. 1. We can't see each other on aweb forum, so some membersget together periodically for fellowship. If they don't eat out, somebody is gonna have a huge dinner to cook and lots of dishes after. 2. Meet-ups in other jurisdictions don't draw a squad of hostile police. It would be pretty boring if your game was to set up police. Since you're having one meet-up every month or two, its pretty chancy hoping you picked a jurisdiction where the dispatchers or police don't know better. You would have to hope both play into your hands. You would end up with a lot of "misses." 3. If the game was to set up the police, Tonys 7 would have made an anonymous call themselves to the police to report "men with guns."