Thread: OC in car while traveling?

Post imported post

I live in VA and am planning on driving up to CT to visit some family for my spring break. I looked at the travelers map and saw that pretty much every state in between VA and CT was in the red. I haven't done a lot of looking into the traveling thing, thus the reason why I'm asking here.

If I'm just going to be transporting my firearm from my home in VA to the house im staying at in CT (isn't the term "peaceable journey" or something like that?), is that ok? Note that I do NOT have a CHP. Thank you for the clarification!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

You may want to check out the follwing pages:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...6---A000-.html

US CODE TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > §926A
    §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Here's the NRA's page:
    http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

Your trunk does qualify as a locked container.

Post imported post

I wonder how that would apply in a pickup truck for both hangun and ammo? I regularly drive up though Maryland to visit family in PA in my pickup.

Post imported post

72Malibu wrote:
    I wonder how that would apply in a pickup truck for both hangun and ammo? I regularly drive up though Maryland to visit family in PA in my pickup.
    "That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson