• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in car while traveling?

mercutio545

imported post

I live in VA and am planning on driving up to CT to visit some family for my spring break. I looked at the travelers map and saw that pretty much every state in between VA and CT was in the red. I haven't done a lot of looking into the traveling thing, thus the reason why I'm asking here.

If I'm just going to be transporting my firearm from my home in VA to the house im staying at in CT (isn't the term "peaceable journey" or something like that?), is that ok? Note that I do NOT have a CHP. Thank you for the clarification!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You may want to check out the follwing pages:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

US CODE TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > §926A
§926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Here's the NRA's page:
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

Your trunk does qualify as a locked container.

VAopencarry

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
I wonder how that would apply in a pickup truck for both hangun and ammo? I regularly drive up though Maryland to visit family in PA in my pickup.
"That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."