• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beretta 92FS Brigadier vs. Sig Saur P226

Ruger22C

imported post

What are the pros and cons when comparing these two?

Thank you, Signed,
Jerrad (Spark) Johnson.
Admin - www.ruger22c.com

P.S. correction to spelling: sig sauer

molonlabetn

imported post

Ruger22C wrote:
What are the pros and cons when comparing these two?

Thank you, Signed,
Jerrad (Spark) Johnson.
Admin - http://www.ruger22c.com

P.S. correction to spelling: sig sauer

The Beretta is a bit heavier than the Sig P226.

The Berettahasan external safety/decocker (pro or con, depending on how you look at it), while the Sig has a more naturally placed decocking lever, and no safety.

The Beretta's barrelis 1/2" longer (good for ballistics, bad for concealment... though neither isespecially noticable). Both guns are exceptionally accurate.

The Beretta hasa locking-block barrel capture for blowback delay (as opposed to the traditional Browning lockup used by the Sig). This is good for accuracy, but increases the necessary maintenance.

The Beretta trigger is not quite as smooth or light as the Sig's.

Both have a similar grip, in terms of size... and there are nice aftermarket grips available for both.

I've owned bothBerettas and Sigs... and I can shoot them both equally well. And, I would feel just as confident with either one. In many small ways, the Sig is a much higher quality gun... so if prices are similar, I would lean more towards the Sig.

Try them both, either one is a good bet... so let your preference be the determination.

molonlabetn

Ruger22C

imported post

I've read on, I believe it was wikipedia -- that the slide on the 92 would break if you fired thousands of rounds through it, and come back and hit the shooter.. Hence why they enlarged the hammer on the FS.

Anyway, my question is: If I shoot alot of practice rounds through it, do I need to be concerned about it breaking?

Thank you, Signed,
Jerrad Johnson.
Admin - www.ruger22c.com

molonlabetn

imported post

Ruger22C wrote:
I've read on, I believe it was wikipedia -- that the slide on the 92 would break if you fired thousands of rounds through it, and come back and hit the shooter.. Hence why they enlarged the hammer on the FS.

Anyway, my question is: If I shoot alot of practice rounds through it, do I need to be concerned about it breaking?

Thank you, Signed,
Jerrad Johnson.

Nope... If you'll read the defenition of how the Brigadier model came about, it is an enhanced 92FS with a beefed up slide (hence part of the reasonforthe greater weight). Also, the previous slide issues were the result of poor (French) metallurgy, weak locking-blocks, and over-pressure ammo.Those were all the old 92F models.

The new 92FS ("S" for 'safe') has a beefed up slide, stronger locking-block design, and an internal lug which prevents the slide from leaving the frame in the event of separation.

So, in short... no, there iszero risk of eating Italian steel if you shoot the bejeezus out of a Beretta 92FS Brigadier.

Enjoy :D

molonlabetn

Ruger22C

imported post

Lovely, thank you Very much.

Most of the comparisons that you gave, were what I preffered to have. I.E. more weight, longer barrel. So, I'll probably be going with the Beretta.

I have just one issue with it. On another forum, althought I've forgotten where - I read that because the slide(wrong part, I'm sure.) is round instead of square, the sight sometimes aligns to the left, sometimes to the right.. Making it less shooter accurate. In any case, that's probably negligible and the other advantages make up for it..?

Can a person get a trigger job done on the beretta?

Thank you, Signed,
Jerrad Johsnon.
Admin - www.ruger22c.com

molonlabetn

imported post

Ruger22C wrote:
Lovely, thank you Very much.

Most of the comparisons that you gave, were what I preffered to have. I.E. more weight, longer barrel. So, I'll probably be going with the Beretta.

I have just one issue with it. On another forum, althought I've forgotten where - I read that because the slide(wrong part, I'm sure.) is round instead of square, the sight sometimes aligns to the left, sometimes to the right.. Making it less shooter accurate. In any case, that's probably negligible and the other advantages make up for it..?

Can a person get a trigger job done on the beretta?

Thank you, Signed,
Jerrad Johsnon.

I've never had an accuracy issue with any Beretta product, much less a 92/96 series. The sight alignment issue is un-familiar to me... and I have put over 10K rds through the one I had.

A trigger job is easily accomplished by a competent gunsmith. Simply ask foryour hammer main spring be replaced with one from a DAO gun (92D or 96D). They are lighter, and willimprove your trigger pull tremendously. Other than that, your action will smooth up with use.

molonlabetn