• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What type of Ammo??

Whistlingdeuce

imported post

Not too sure if this is the right place to post this so move it if need be but I have a question about the type of ammo we are allowed to carry with a Pa CW permit. I haven't read anything about this but someone told me the other day when I showed them my clip that hollow points are illegal to carry. I am not too sure if this it true or not so I wanted to ask the gods of the openb carry list. I am using Remington high performance jacket. .45 auto 230 grain brass jacketed hollow point. I picked them up from Cabela's with out any problems so I am thinking the person is talking out their rear. Someone set me straight if they are right. Thanks for any and all info.

Mtn Jack

imported post

Wistle you can use any ammo just make sure you dont use it for a crime. Pa says nothing about the type, unless it is used against a police officer, you cannot use armor peirce for this reason on an Leo all others ok. Shoot straight Mtn Jack

TheJordTrain

imported post

Whistlingdeuce wrote:
I haven't read anything about this
Packing Dot Org. go to pennsylvania. their stuff is pretty current, given the way gun laws aren't changing TOO fast here.. talk to a lawyer if you're not sure.

hollow points are illegal to carry.

etc etc

.45 auto 230 grain brass jacketed hollow point.
230 jhp? I thought all they ever made in 230 was ball :shock: neat!

Any ammo that is legal to own is legal to carry. read: don't shoot 'em with tracers. As far as them being evil cop killer bullets, HP's are designed specifically to stop inside an attacker -- and they are stopped much more effectively by bullet proof vests as a result!

I carry a 9. My brother carries a .45. True story, he once got a raft from an LEO (handed him the CCW in a traffic stop, not necessary in PA but a nice gesture on his part) for carrying ball ammo, cos that's all he had. Turns out 230gr ball is notorious for passing through people-sized hunks of meat.. the cop said he'd rather my brother carried hollow points.

he also took my bro's p220 apart and gave it back to him in a paper bag, but that's another story entirely :)

Bolt06

imported post

WhistlingdeuceAs I understand it and with my research from PA you can have and carry Hollow Point bullets no matter what the grain but the only kind you can't carry is a Black Hollow point. I was told they have a coating on them and are illegal to carry because they can penetrate a bullet proof vest.. (that is what I was told.. I didn't know the credibility of it so I just fired them at a range the next day.)

mattjohnston87

imported post

The Winchester Ranger's are darn near the SAME bullet.

The new Federal HST is real close to the Talon as well.

They all do the same thing, and are designed to create a big of a hole as possible. Some just work a tad better.

Matt

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

"I was told they have a coating on them and are illegal to carry because they can penetrate a bullet proof vest.."

Someone told you a crock. Any coating on the bullet is there to help it go though the barrel easier, not the target. What determines what goes through a "bullet proof" vest is weight and speed, and possibly design, but not the bullet's coating.

So-called bullet proof vests will slow down and hopefully stop handgun loads, but will they stop .30-06's? I doubt it.

If it was illegal, it would be so stated in the Uniform Firearms Act, which it's not.

knight0334

imported post

TheJordTrain wrote:
Bolt06 wrote:
Whistlingdeuce you can have and carry Hollow Point bullets no matter what the grain but the only kind you can't carry is a Black Hollow point.
Black Talon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

Just a scare. I believe they're banned on a federal level. JHP's are FINE.

They weren't banned, the manufacturer took them off the market due to the bad press. The same bullets and loads are still available on the market, but rebranded and without the "bad" black coloring.

Evans86

imported post

I know for a fact that you can carry any ammo in PA with one exception. The black talons got their press for a faulse reson but it did also carry over to law. You are not aloud any Teflon coated rounds in PA. Which i don't think you can anywhere in the USA or buy them anywhere either. So with that in mind... have at it

I suggest a good quality JHP such as Speer Gold Dot. Most common ammo used my Law Enforcement departments acrost the counrty.

imperialism2024

imported post

Evans86 wrote:
I know for a fact that you can carry any ammo in PA with one exception. The black talons got their press for a faulse reson but it did also carry over to law. You are not aloud any Teflon coated rounds in PA. Which i don't think you can anywhere in the USA or buy them anywhere either. So with that in mind... have at it

I suggest a good quality JHP such as Speer Gold Dot. Most common ammo used my Law Enforcement departments acrost the counrty.
Cite the law.

:)

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

18 Pa. C.S. §6121. Certain Bullets Prohibited.

(a) Offense defined. - It is unlawful for any person to possess, use or attempt to use a KTW teflon-coated bullet or other armor-piercing ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence as defined in section 6102 (relating to defini­tions).

(b) Grading. - An offense under this section constitutes a felony of the third degree.

(c) Sentencing. - Any person who is convicted in any court of this Commonwealth of a crime of violence and who uses or carries, in the commission of that crime, a firearm loaded with KTW ammunition or any person who violates this section shall, in addition to the punishment provided for the commission of the crime, be sentenced to a term of imprisonment for not less than five years. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the court shall not suspend the sentence of any person convicted of a crime subject to this subsection nor place him on probation nor shall the term of imprisonment run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment including that imposed for the crime in which the KTW ammunition was being used or carried. No person sentenced under this subsection shall be eligible for parole.

(d) Definition. - As used in this section the term “armor-pierc­ing ammunition” means ammunition which, when or if fired from any firearm as defined in section 6102 that is used or attempted to be used in violation of subsection (a) under the test procedure of the National Institute of Law Enforcement and Criminal Jus­tice Standard for the Ballistics Resistance of Police Body Armor promulgated December 1978, is determined to be capable of penetrating bullet-resistant apparel or body armor meeting the requirements of Type hA of Standard NILECJ-STD-0101.01 as formulated by the United States Department of Justice and published in December of 1978.

imperialism2024

imported post

Hmm so it seems to be partially true. From how I read it, you can possess and carry the Teflon-coated ammo, just make sure not to commit a crime while carrying it. Should be easy for LACs...

At any rate, by the standard given in subsection D, I guess pretty much any .44 magnum FMJ rounds I might carry would be considered "armor piercing". Especially them 340-gr ones... :uhoh: Good reason for me to carry hollow-points! :lol:

tdyoung58

imported post

mattjohnston87 wrote:
The Winchester Ranger's are darn near the SAME bullet.

The new Federal HST is real close to the Talon as well.

They all do the same thing, and are designed to create a big of a hole as possible. Some just work a tad better.

Matt

They are the same Winchester just basically changed the name

Myself, I carry Hornaday .45 +P 230g XTP/JHP