• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need input from Cox Cable subscribers in NoVA

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Update from York County: Cox still can't get me to this site:cuss:.

No problem with dial-up.

Could the Fox headquarters in VA be in Manassas?:uhoh:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

1815 Eastern time.

I can't get to opencarry.org. Fairfax County, near Ft Belvoir. Cox.net.

I have the forums bookmarked, and could go there easily. I could also access individual posts from my e-mailwatch list.

VApatriot

imported post

I wasn't able to get on yesterday or today at my home computer ( COX Cable). I just thought there was something wrong with the site, but right now I am logged on at school without any problems.

I am very unhappy about this!:X

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Now THAT's Funny :)

Seriously though. I am still working the problem. Why some of the master DNS servers have the site right and others don't is still a mystery but I have spent the day working on it.

I hope to have more answers tomorrow morning.

Thanks for being patient!

John

BobCav wrote:
We've been COX-Blocked!!! :what:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Don't worry John, the forum still works fine and I can make it a few days without the database. Besides I know you and Mike run all this out of your own pocket so thanks for working on the problem and for everything else here while I'm thanking you. Thats very unlike some other forum owners I can think of "cough" PDO "cough"

vtme_grad98

imported post

As of this morning, I still can't reach either the main opencarry.org site or the forums from home (Chesapeake, VA Cox internet). For the opencarry.org site, I just get the standard "site not found". If I try toreach the forums directly, I get a strange failure error. I tried to email that error message from home to my work email. But, ironically enough, my work email seems to have blocked the email with the error message.

IanB

imported post

It might be the anti-virus that we use to keep our Cox clean so it doesn't infect our terminals. ;)

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

UPDATE
----------

It appears that the problem is with the registrar I used to register the domain and to host the DNS.

For those of you who keep up with technical news, you might be familiar with the fact that Registerfly.com (once one of the largest registrars on the internet) is falling apart both legally and now technically.

We seem to be yet another victim of this breakdown. I have initiated a change of registrar to a more stable company (for all 20 of my domains) and expect it to be completed by Monday.

Thanks again for your patience. I know how frustrating it can be when your Cox doesn't work when you want it to:lol:

John

MarinesWife

imported post

we have cox and i can access the page but we also have verizon .. not sure which the net is linked through

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MarinesWife wrote:
we have cox and i can access the page but we also have verizon .. not sure which the net is linked through

Oh this is too easy....

Hey MarinesWife, what you're telling us is that you're not Cox blocked?? :what:

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NytoVa wrote:
What's the IP address of the site. You should still be able to get to the site by using the IP address instead of the dns name.
HEy great idea...I forgot all about that. It would bypass the DNS altogether! ANyone have any idea?