• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the forum, not to firearms

droadpastor

imported post

Hey everybody, I am new to this forum and I am so glad that I found it. I have been a concealed weapons liscence holder for many years now. I lived in Florida before moving to VA. Getting a CCW in Florida is an absolute nightmare. When I moved here, got my CCW and have had it for a year now.

I was shocked when I heard a blurb on the radio the other day that it was legal to OC in VA. I couldnt believe it. I have two troopers in my church and they told me it was illegal when I first got here. So I took their word. (my mistake or their ignorance)

After a few days of research, finding the truth I stumble across this forum. Man am I glad to be able to read and chat with those alike.

shdwrdr

imported post

Welcome from one FL transplant to another!! Isn't it great to leave heat and constant humidity behind? At least I did, since I live in the mountains.

I second the welcome to the forum and to Virginia. God bless you.

possumboy

imported post

droadpastor wrote:
Hey everybody, I am new to this forum and I am so glad that I found it. I have been a concealed weapons liscence holder for many years now. I lived in Florida before moving to VA. Getting a CCW in Florida is an absolute nightmare. When I moved here, got my CCW and have had it for a year now.

I was shocked when I heard a blurb on the radio the other day that it was legal to OC in VA. I couldnt believe it. I have two troopers in my church and they told me it was illegal when I first got here. So I took their word. (my mistake or their ignorance)

After a few days of research, finding the truth I stumble across this forum. Man am I glad to be able to read and chat with those alike.

Well, it is illegal IN CHURCH with out good cause.

AND, you do know you have to OC where booze is sold.

Welcome to Virginia and come join the guys - I never get to because it is past my bedtime.:cry:

zoom6zoom

imported post

Of course, "good cause" is nowhere defined. My definition of good cause would include the number of church shootings that have been in the news over the past few years.

sitedzn

imported post

there are several threads around for meetups - richmond, tidewater and nova come to mind right away. the richmond one is looking like next tuesday, but i don't think anything has been nailed down yet.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

possumboy wrote:

Welcome to Virginia and come join the guys - I never get to because it is past my bedtime.:cry:

Well, sorta right.

You have to OC in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises. Slightly different meaning.

And no one has defined "good cause". To me, personal safety is a good cause. Not that you'd catch me in a church unless someone in my family begs me to go "just this once".

IanB

imported post

Tess wrote:
possumboy wrote:

Well, sorta right.

You have to OC in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises. Slightly different meaning.

And no one has defined "good cause". To me, personal safety is a good cause. Not that you'd catch me in a church unless someone in my family begs me to go "just this once".
This is a snarky, sarcastic comment from me, an avowed athiest. If you are religious in any way please don't be offended, this comment is meant to be humor.

Just being in a church is "good cause" for me to be armed...becuase if I AM in a church, I am there against my will! More people have been murdered/killed in the name of "God" than any other cause. (Crusades, Inquisition, Salem witch trials, Northern Ireland, Kashmir, Al-Qaeda) With all that killing and murder I feel I have good cause to carry in a church.

End of snarky sarcastic comment.

possumboy

imported post

Tess wrote:
possumboy wrote:

Well, sorta right.

Thanks for the clarification. I just forgot "for consumption."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Omigosh. Did we forget todemonstrate proper forum etiquette by citing whereone can see for himself the law? Tsk, tsk, tsk. :)

Straight from the gun FAQ's page on the Va State Police website:

Where Unlawful to Carry

§18.2-308 (J.3.): No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

§18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

§18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason.

§18.2-283.1: Courthouse.

§18.2-308.1: School property. Exemptions to this statute include a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.

§18.2-287.01: Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

You can also hunt up code on the Virginia General Assembly's statute finder at: http://leg1.state.va.us/000/lst/LS930364.HTM

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mea culpa.

In my defense, I was on my way to a gun show (vgca show at Prince William Co. Fairground, followed by a stop at Virginia Arms). Can I be forgiven?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It was meant as a playful accusation. I could never hold anything against you. Unless you joined VaOpenCarry in accusing me of being a Hollywood Marine. He'll pay for that at the next NoVA meet-up. :D

TEX1N

imported post

Citizen wrote:
It was meant as a playful accusation. I could never hold anything against you. Unless you joined VaOpenCarry in accusing me of being a Hollywood Marine. He'll pay for that at the next NoVA meet-up. :D
droadpastor, welcome to OCDO! There is a VCDL meeting this Thursday in Annandale. I know that might be a drive for you depending on where in Central VA you are located, but we would love to have you. (BTW, you don't have to be a member to come.)

Citizen and VAopencarry, I am a "Hollywood" Marine...want to make something of it?!? :p Just because your jealous is no reason to hate ;)