• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carried in a bank...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So I haveCCW permit, and am aware that, while carrying a CONCEALED weapon into a financial institution (bank) is illegal, OPENLY carrying a weapon is not mentioned and therefore not restricted in any NC laws.

I am a Marine, so the bank I use is Navy Federal. I had been in there twice while openly carrying a PPK/S on my hip, and received little more than an inquisitive glance. The third time I visited the bank, however, someone decided to say something...

I was standing in a rather long line for the tellers, with my gun exposed on my hip. It had been hidden under my un-tucked shirt, however I tucked my shirt in on that side before I entered the bank. As I waited patiently, a few people glanced down at my hip, then looked at my face briefly before continuing to mind their own business. Before long a Marine in uniform (we're allowed to go to the Navy Fed in cammies) walks in and stands in line a few people back from me. My back was to him, and suddenly he says rather loudly "Is there a reason you have that?!". I turned, and he was pointing at my gun. I kept my arms crossed and responded calmly "Yes, I'm carrying it for protection." His attitude worsened as he raised his voice and said "You're in a bank!". I again calmly stated "Yes, and while carrying a concealed weapon in a bank is illegal, carrying it openly IS legal, which is why you can see it right now." At that point, he slumped a little and said "oh...". It could have ended at that, but now i had all the bank employees and customers staring at us, so I turned back to the Marine and said "...but thank you for asking me about it instead of just freaking out and assuming I was wrong. I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to explain myself."

That seemed to calm the nerves of everyone around me, and I proceeded to do my business with the teller and leave.

Since I'm a Marine myself, this is by no means a Marine-bashing post, however had he not been in uniform I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't have tried to play hero. I'm only 22, and this kid had to have been like 19 or 20... *sigh*

OBXMIKE

imported post

Way to go, man!! I can imagine it was a bit of a tedious moment, but it sounds like you came across well. Edumacatin' the masses ain't always an easy or comfortable thing to do. Well deserved kudos to you, sir, and thank you for serving our country!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol I gotta tell you, I was calm and collected on the outside, but I was sweating like crazy...I was just waiting for it to turn ugly, and my heart didn't stop pounding until I got back into my car and left, lol. The best part was, as I was driving away I heard police sirens....I don't think they went to the bank, but it was still eerie :lol:

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

DreQo wrote:
lol I gotta tell you, I was calm and collected on the outside, but I was sweating like crazy...I was just waiting for it to turn ugly, and my heart didn't stop pounding until I got back into my car and left, lol. The best part was, as I was driving away I heard police sirens....I don't think they went to the bank, but it was still eerie /images/emoticons/

Smurfologist

imported post

DreQo wrote:
lol I gotta tell you, I was calm and collected on the outside, but I was sweating like crazy...I was just waiting for it to turn ugly, and my heart didn't stop pounding until I got back into my car and left, lol. The best part was, as I was driving away I heard police sirens....I don't think they went to the bank, but it was still eerie /images/emoticons/

Smurfologist

imported post

DreQo wrote:
lol I gotta tell you, I was calm and collected on the outside, but I was sweating like crazy...I was just waiting for it to turn ugly, and my heart didn't stop pounding until I got back into my car and left, lol. The best part was, as I was driving away I heard police sirens....I don't think they went to the bank, but it was still eerie :lol:
You can't be scared to OC when you are in the right. From one Marine ('86 - '90 / 0311) to another, keep OCing whenever and wherever you can:exclaim:

2nd Amendment.........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

Ricky

DreQo wrote:
You can't be scared to OC when you are in the right. From one Marine ('86 - '90 / 0311) to another, keep OCing whenever and wherever you can:exclaim:

2nd Amendment.........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

Cool thinking man...From one old Devil Dog to another 1985-1989,,,0311....Semper Fi

XDUser

Good times. I read these forums once a week or so and see all these stories about big name stores or LEO's jacking people around and then I think about my experience while OC.
It is always some sheeple that feels the need to stick their nose into my business and be as loud as possible.
Funny how a well dressed person that is calm attracts such negative attention from the sheeple but if I was to run into them while wearing some "thug" attire with my side arm tucked into my waistband these same idiots wouldnt say a thing, other then maybe omg as they run away.
/sigh
Wish people would use their brain more often.

rotorhead

Should have dropped the bitch for push ups for making a scene and trying to punk you out. But hey, that's just me :)

sultan62

I just like how they're supposedly so worried about people carrying, but then they have no problem walking right up to an armed stranger and giving them a piece of their mind...

Coniferous

Not all gun owners, or marines, for that matter, are Carry friendly, much less OPEN carry friendly. More of these types out there than we think, unfortunately.

Some people think only police or the army needs guns.

You did awesome!

REDFIVE48

As part of my volunteer work with the Cub Scouts, I now get to work with a local bank (all my personal banking is with one of the large national banks). The bank I went into is posted No Concealed Weapons (with a handgun inside of a red circle with a slash through it). I had to go do some paperwork at the bank today (only second time in it, first wasn't carrying) so I decided to Open Carry since its not in violation of the sign. I was real nervous before going in about that decision, but decided what the heck. Not sure if anyone even noticed I was carrying, but I was in the bank about 30 min mainly sitting and doing paperwork, and not one word was said. We'll see what happens next time, if anything, just glad it was uneventful today.

glockaholic

Not sure if anyone even noticed I was carrying, but I was in the bank about 30 min mainly sitting and doing paperwork, and not one word was said. We'll see what happens next time, if anything, just glad it was uneventful today.

If anyone gives you trouble, just ask where the armed guards are who will protect you while you conduct business in their bank. Ask them to demonstrate that every entrance is protected by a metal detector to ensure a criminal isn't entering with an illegally concealed gun. If they can't show you these things, ask them why they would rather disarm their customers and assume liability for any physical injury or monetary loss they incur while on the premises, instead of allowing them to exercise their God-given right to self defense.

sultan62

I'd disagree. If anyone from the bank gives you trouble, ask to speak to the branch manager. If not available, contact later. If it's the branch manager giving you trouble, speak to the district manager later.

If it's not someone from the bank, get the manager and inform them that a member is harassing you. Don't try to "convince" on-scene, IMO.

Dreamer

Is CC in a bank federally or state illegal? Or both?

It is a NC state law, and we are one of only about 8 states with such a prohibition. Most states (even the gun-hating ones like CA and MD) allow CC permit holders to CC in banks.

NC is one of the last holdouts on this silly law.

We're working on that...

papa bear

It is a NC state law, and we are one of only about 8 states with such a prohibition. Most states (even the gun-hating ones like CA and MD) allow CC permit holders to CC in banks.

NC is one of the last holdouts on this silly law.

We're working on that...

i agree this is one of the silly laws we have in this state. the restaurant one really galls me. but on the good side, it does encourage open carry