• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carried in a bank...

Ricky

Another Marine here (1982-1989 Nevermind the MOS, cant frigin remember! LOL! CH-46 Crew-chief) Semper Fi and keep on carrying!

I hear ya Man, yea time does eat that memory up..Lol...Details get foggy, same with ya on that one.......

aosailor

today I just OC'ed into my bank for the very first time. I've been OC'ing for about 4yrs now and until recently was under the impression that OC was illegal. (thank you OCDO for fixing that problem!)

I bank with BoA and 1 of the branches here in town had an attempted robbery a few weeks ago. and just last week 1 in Salisbury was robbed at gun point. the rent-a-cop started shooting at the robber AFTER he had left the bank and was across the street. Rent-a-cop shot across 4 lanes of traffic and only hit wall and windows across the street. luckily no one was hurt or killed!

well I finally decide to give it a shot, and even though I know it's perfectly legal, the fact that for the longest time I had thought it wasnt i was nervous as hell! felt like I was doing something wrong. well I do my business and walk out, nobody said anything, great experience! until I step outside. a cop in his POV was walking in and sees my gun. he just stops and gives me a weird look as I smile and nod my way past him. he walks to the door, stops and reads, probably looking for something that says no guns. he just walks in, and I drive away

REDFIVE48

today I just OC'ed into my bank for the very first time. I've been OC'ing for about 4yrs now and until recently was under the impression that OC was illegal. (thank you OCDO for fixing that problem!)

I bank with BoA and 1 of the branches here in town had an attempted robbery a few weeks ago. and just last week 1 in Salisbury was robbed at gun point. the rent-a-cop started shooting at the robber AFTER he had left the bank and was across the street. Rent-a-cop shot across 4 lanes of traffic and only hit wall and windows across the street. luckily no one was hurt or killed!

well I finally decide to give it a shot, and even though I know it's perfectly legal, the fact that for the longest time I had thought it wasnt i was nervous as hell! felt like I was doing something wrong. well I do my business and walk out, nobody said anything, great experience! until I step outside. a cop in his POV was walking in and sees my gun. he just stops and gives me a weird look as I smile and nod my way past him. he walks to the door, stops and reads, probably looking for something that says no guns. he just walks in, and I drive away

Not that I go to BofA ever, but I do have my accounts there so I need to check the door of my local branch. Always figured they would be posted, but never actually checked a door. Thanks for the post

REDFIVE48

I'd disagree. If anyone from the bank gives you trouble, ask to speak to the branch manager. If not available, contact later. If it's the branch manager giving you trouble, speak to the district manager later.

If it's not someone from the bank, get the manager and inform them that a member is harassing you. Don't try to "convince" on-scene, IMO.

So, 4th time carrying in the bank yesterday and it happened. I did some business with a teller (don't think they noticed I was armed), then had to wait to talk to a manager about an account issue. I believe, the customer in line behind me mentioned I was armed to the teller after I left her station, the teller then called the manager to let them know why I was waiting, and I also think they mentioned I was armed.
The manager came out to help me with my issue, and I'm pretty sure they could not see my weapon (I wear at 4 o'clock, so pretty invisible to those straight on talking to me), but went straight to, "Are you carrying a weapon?"

I said yes, it's perfectly legal. She disagreed with me and said it's illegal in federal buildings and banks. I corrected her and said it is legal in banks. She asked me to store the weapon in my car, I agreed to in order to maintain a friendly atmosphere. I returned to the bank and we took care of the account issue and talked about some similarities with our kids. As I was leaving I reiterated that it's perfectly legal to carry openly in a bank, their bank is posted No Concealed Carry, and that I don't make a habit of breaking the law for obvious reasons. I don't believe she believed me, but I left on friendly terms.

I got home and sent her an email with this text:
I didn't want to give you the impression that I break the law by walking into your bank armed. I am including a link to a newsletter produced by a law firm that specializes in answering questions for the police in NC. It covers the exact scenario we found ourselves in today.
http://www.policehelp.net/pubs/2009/qv8n11.pdf

Sorry I can't point you to a law 'allowing' me to exercise my 2nd Amendment right to bear arms, but that law does not exist since laws tell you what you can't do, not what you can do. I am giving you reference to the state law prohibiting Concealed Carry in banks:
§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

I hope you don't feel like I'm being argumentative, I really just want to make sure there are no misunderstandings on what is legal and what is not. If you were to change your sign on the door to say "No Weapons Allowed", instead of the current "No Concealed Weapons Allowed", then it would be very clear. I am in no way wanting you to change your sign as the bad guys don't follow the rules, so you are only serving to disarm the law abiding citizens from a method of self defense, but if your bank policy should decide that is what you want, then of course I will abide by your policies in the course of doing business with you. If you wouldn't mind following up with me as to your actual policy for customers (I realize that many times policies for employees say one thing, but those policies do not apply to customers), I would appreciate it so that we can avoid any future delays in customer service, or even worse, false alarms to the Lincoln County Sheriff.

I received the following reply:
Thanks REDFIVE48. I have forwarded this on to our compliance department for further consideration.
Given the nature and vulnerability of our business, our utmost priority is the safety of our employees, and customers.

Thanks for sharing this information!

We'll see what happens next. Do you think I should attempt to contact the district manager (which is probably corporate since this is a regional bank), or wait till I hear back based on what their compliance office says?

nobama

This could backfire. Whenever an establishment says " the safety of our customers is our greatest consern " or something of that fact, is a sure thing that they bleet with the rest, could be wrong , hope so.

sultan62

Sounds like you handled it well. If you are contacted in the future regarding it, let us know what happens. If not, I'd recommend contacting the manager again to follow up.

It appears that their current policy is to follow state law, which will likely allow carry. If the policy changes, or is different than my interpretation, it may be time to change banks.

smlawrence

I wish my bank, Bank of NC, would change their policies about carrying. I have had several email conversations with the CEO and the Banks Security Manager, to which they both believe that everyone would be safer if they continued their current policy of "No Weapons Allowed". They haven't had the right situation come into play to have them thinking otherwise. I love everything else about his bank so I don't want to change. I mostly use the drivethru so I don't have to leave the side of my firearm.

Badger Johnson

In fairness to them, I think there are two issues.

1. Liability issues. If someone is harmed somehow and they allow OC is that an issue for them.
2. False understanding of safety. Many people see a gun and think what could happen if it should go off, being brought up on TV and 'hair triggers' and Dirty Harry. They aren't sure if any gun when dropped would 'go off'.

Chance of bullets flying if there's no gun is zero. They forget that if you mandate it criminals will have free reign, but they consider that a low probability, perhaps. They aren't concerned about -your- rights, just -public rights-. This is much like the cops have no mandate to protect 'you', just the 'public'.

That's my guess, anyway.

REDFIVE48

Sounds like you handled it well. If you are contacted in the future regarding it, let us know what happens. If not, I'd recommend contacting the manager again to follow up.

It appears that their current policy is to follow state law, which will likely allow carry. If the policy changes, or is different than my interpretation, it may be time to change banks.

No word yet.

Unfortunately I can't change banks, this is the bank the organization I volunteer as the treasurer uses, so I'm kind of stuck. I will mention that until this issue I was happy that it was allowed in the bank and was contemplating moving my personal and business accounts to them, but now will not.

sultan62

I wish my bank, Bank of NC, would change their policies about carrying. I have had several email conversations with the CEO and the Banks Security Manager, to which they both believe that everyone would be safer if they continued their current policy of "No Weapons Allowed". They haven't had the right situation come into play to have them thinking otherwise. I love everything else about his bank so I don't want to change. I mostly use the drivethru so I don't have to leave the side of my firearm.

What bank?

chiefjason

Never noticed this before, but his info on school zones is no longer accurate. Just an FYI in case it comes up.

I just noticed the other day that my local SECU branch had gone from a "no weapons" to "no concealed weapons" sign. I do most of my banking through the drive through. But it's nice that the sign has changed. I wonder if they actually know what they are saying there though?

sultan62

Never noticed this before, but his info on school zones is no longer accurate. Just an FYI in case it comes up.

I just noticed the other day that my local SECU branch had gone from a "no weapons" to "no concealed weapons" sign. I do most of my banking through the drive through. But it's nice that the sign has changed. I wonder if they actually know what they are saying there though?

I'm an NCSECU member and I OC when I go in, which isn't all too common. I've never had any issues, and every sign I've seen has been "No Concealed Weapons." There are other OCDO members who bank at NCSECU while OC without problems.

chiefjason

I'm an NCSECU member and I OC when I go in, which isn't all too common. I've never had any issues, and every sign I've seen has been "No Concealed Weapons." There are other OCDO members who bank at NCSECU while OC without problems.

Yeah, I've noticed that. But until lately they were going with the no weapons sign. They briefly went signless. Then the no CC sign. OC in a bank is a frontier I have not stepped into yet. I did carry an empty holster into a bank once. I got followed into the lot by the manager and he told me I dropped a dollar. Nope, it would have been a $20. Nice try though.

Greg Bradburn

Forgive me if this is a dumb question

How much of a firearm must be visible to be considered OC and not concealed? I use the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB Holster to carry my Colt Defender .45. Is it enough to simply tuck in my shirt on that side to expose the firearm to no longer be considered concealed?

Here's a representative picture of how much of the firearm is presented:
1911cb.jpg

Thanks,

Greg.

sultan62

Tucking that outer shirt behind your gun is typically considered a "Virginia Tuck" and OC. My guess is that you would be more likely to have trouble with LE in that case, but IMO it is legally OC. IANAL.

Edit: Greg, please ask your question in one thread. If it isn't answered in a reasonable amount of time, it's fine to repost. But making two identical posts in two threads is generally considered in poor form. Especially considering that it is the first two posts since signing up.

Last edited:

Dreamer

How much of a firearm must be visible to be considered OC and not concealed? I use the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB Holster to carry my Colt Defender .45. Is it enough to simply tuck in my shirt on that side to expose the firearm to no longer be considered concealed?

Under NC Case law precedents (there is no statutory definition of "open carry" in NC), if a firearm can be "readily identified as a firearm", then it is NOT concealed. So I guess if you show enough of a gun for a normal, rational person of sound mind to identify it as a gun, then you're OK...

Of course, this might end up being one for the courts to sort out, if you get a troublesome LEO...

I'd suggest just buying a proper OWB holster if you want to OC. Or get a Serpa and some loose, long shirts if you want to move back and forth between OC and CC...

As for banks, I switched over ALL my business to NC SECU last fall (from BB&T) and the second most iportant reason was their absolute prohibition against carry on their property. (the MAIN reason was their crappy customer service, ever-increasing fees, and borderline unethical deposit holding policy)

I OC every time I go into a SECU office--which is about once a month. I've OCed in two different branches in Greenville and the branch in Washington with ZERO issue.

If you can use a Credit Union, DO IT. Not just because most Credit Unions are pro-carry, but because Credit Unions are NOT part of the Federal Reserve system like most other banks. Big banks are all run by evil sociopathic globalists. Credit Unions are actually interested in their local communities...

Last edited: