Thread: openly carrying a large auto (SW99) vs. a small auto (PPK/s)

State Researcher

Post imported post

I only recently started carrying, and for a while I only had my Walther PPK/s that my father bought for me as a graduation present. Since there aren't a lot (if any) of people that open carry around here, I had received a decent amount of questions. Most of them revolved around "who are you and why do you have a gun??"

I bought a SW99 last month, and have started carrying that openly, keeping my Walther for a back-up or CCW (mind you I also conceal my SW99 sometimes). I've noticed a lot less attention from people when I have a big black "cop-like" gun on my hip, and the only question I've gotten is polite, chearful "are you a police officer?".

Has anyone else noticed a big difference between the reactions you get with different size and different types of handguns? (I'm assuming revolvers would probably get more attention, as well.)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

There might be something to carrying a service sized pistol in a quality rig. People may indeed assume you are some sort of LEO.

Post imported post

My regular carry gun is a Walther P99 Military (model not sold anymore).

I've never had a problem.

Post imported post

This is the best I could think of:

It's a video of me shooting my Walther P99. The part that is relevant to this post is that it shows exactly how I carry the pistol....open in a Galco Fletch II holster

http://www.supload.com/vid/Stationary/384526441/mpg/

Post imported post

I usually carry an old Smith 9mm or sometimes a Beretta.380 on my hip and people almost always assume I'm a cop. I've even had cops ask me what department I was with. I don't get it - must be the short hair or something. Never an alarmed "oh my god, he's armed" response to date.

-ljp

State Researcher

Post imported post

I'm starting to realize that the way I dress plays a HUGE part in the reactions I get, or the lack-there-of. If I'm wearing a dark blue polo and a pair of khakis, it seems that EVERYONE assumes I'm a LEO or the like, regardless of the sidearm. On the other hand, if I'm wearing jeans or shorts and an un-tucked Borat t-shirt, I get a lot of funny concerned looks from people, lol.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    I'm starting to realize that the way I dress plays a HUGE part in the reactions I get, or the lack-there-of. If I'm wearing a dark blue polo and a pair of khakis, it seems that EVERYONE assumes I'm a LEO or the like, regardless of the sidearm. On the other hand, if I'm wearing jeans or shorts and an un-tucked Borat t-shirt, I get a lot of funny concerned looks from people, lol.
    Yep, dress makes a difference. I take the approach that I'm open carrying for two reasons, self-defense and advocacy.On the advocacy side,image isimportant. I want folks who can think to recognize that citizens can be armedand bad things don't automatically happen. I want to make it as easy for them to arrive at that thought as possible.And as easy to regain their comfortable-ness as possible.

I dress neatly. Keep my expression pleasant or upbeat.And keep the visible hardware to a minimum to avoid the "geared up" look--one firearm and one speedloader on the belt.The second speedloader goes in the stronghand trousers pocket which has been emptied of everything else.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Sorry about the link....

Here is the correct one:

http://www.supload.com/vid/Stationary/384526441/mpg/

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    Yep, dress makes a difference. I take the approach that I'm open carrying for two reasons, self-defense and advocacy.On the advocacy side,image isimportant. I want folks who can think to recognize that citizens can be armedand bad things don't automatically happen. I want to make it as easy for them to arrive at that thought as possible.And as easy to regain their comfortable-ness as possible.

I dress neatly. Keep my expression pleasant or upbeat.And keep the visible hardware to a minimum to avoid the "geared up" look--one firearm and one speedloader on the belt.The second speedloader goes in the stronghand trousers pocket which has been emptied of everything else.
    Yeah, you definitely wanna look responsible when you OC. I too have a PPK/s that I carry frquently but some times it's just a P.38 kinda day (I modified a Bianchi hoster made for a Beretta 92 to carry the P>38). Thing is I have a paddle holster for the PPK/s that makes it easier to just yank outta my waistband when I get home. Oddly enough I carry the P.38 when I am going to the local Hard Times because in Virginia if a restaurant serves alcohol you MUST carry openly in the establishment even if you're not gonna have a drink; and I want my weapon to be visible without being ostentatious. Oh, and I usually hae a pint to wash down my chili. That's okay in Virginia BUT! if you are intoxicated that's Class I misdemeanor (one year and/or a $2,500 fine) so if I do I onlly have ONE.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Well, I don't have short hair (not cop short anyway), don't wear polo shirts, wear a cowboy hat most of the time, and I doubt seriously that I'll be mistaken for a LEO when I carry my SA .45 revolver.

Do you think a Frock coat might help dress me up a bit? New pair of boots, maybe?

Post imported post

For a single-action Colt .45 carried whilst wearing a cowboy hat, I would reccommend as a fasion accessory a pair of nice jingly spurs. Chaps, however would be a tad over the top and in the city folks would probably think you are gay.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    For a single-action Colt .45 carried whilst wearing a cowboy hat, I would reccommend as a fasion accessory a pair of nice jingly spurs. Chaps, however would be a tad over the top and in the city folks would probably think you are gay.
    I use to have all that equipment when I was in FLorida. Nearly the whole time I lived down there (about 25 years) I worked either on Dairy's or cattle ranches. Had my own horse too. I've still got my slicker, but the rest of it is gone.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:
    I use to have all that equipment when I was in FLorida. Nearly the whole time I lived down there (about 25 years) I worked either on Dairy's or cattle ranches. Had my own horse too. I've still got my slicker, but the rest of it is gone.
    When someone mentioned spurs I was about to throw a fit, until you mentioned that you actually did have a horse. Adult men wearing spurs to match their hat, beltbuckle and boots but no horse in sight are just sad. :? Good for you for actually having the horse .

Post imported post

Check out our Friend from LA

His story of False arrest can be found here - http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/15712.html

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:
    When someone mentioned spurs I was about to throw a fit, until you mentioned that you actually did have a horse. Adult men wearing spurs to match their hat, beltbuckle and boots but no horse in sight are just sad. :? Good for you for actually having the horse .
    yep, and there were many occassions that I rode the horse to a nearby bar, in full gear, on a Friday/Saturday night. A couple of bar owners (female owners) called me their "Marlbaro Man".

Post imported post

I certainly hope no one thinks I was seriously suggesting spurs

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    I certainly hope no one thinks I was seriously suggesting spurs

I never figured you was serious, but, if I still had a horse and rode it to town, I'd have spurs on.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    Adult men wearing spurs to match their hat, beltbuckle and boots but no horse in sight are just sad. :?
    We used to call folks like that "Rexall Rangers".

To get back on the subject; carrying in a shoulder holster does get you more "huh?" looks than belt carrying. Maybe the holster/pistol being more apparent is the reason for that though I find it to be more comfortable than carrying on the hip.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Only time I am guaranteed to get LOTS of second looks is when I take "Maggie" ( my S$W629 .44 Mag 6") out for a walk. Shoulder holster, belt holster, whatever. That is one BIG cannon.